change category on an existing elements

Telex
Telex
Community Member

On IOS Ipad version, I need change the classification of elements registred. The question is: It's possible change category on an existing element?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:It is possibile change category on a existing elements?

Comments

• Hi @Telex

It is not possible to change the category of an item, sorry. The category is a template for what fields will appear on an item. As no two categories have the same field requirements it isn't possible to simply move and item from one to another. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Lyndal
    Lyndal
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

I am a new 1Password customer. I followed the instructions using the converter tool to import all my records from SplashID (which, incidentally, allows categories to be changed). I was shocked to see 108 entries being imported as "Secure Notes" and passwords in those entries stored unencrypted in 1Password. Of course, I want to move them to the right categories.
    However, I have now learnt that 1Password does not allow change of categories even though ALL categories allow you to use custom labels. When the source category format doesn't match the destination category format, 1Password should be able to use its own feature of custom labels to facilitate change of category.
    What is even worse, given that I have to now manually create 108 entries with the correct category.... when I am creating a new category entry in 1Password (on Windows), I cannot even see the other record to copy from it. Fortunately I didn't follow 1Password's advice to delete my old password manager, so I'll be able to have SplashID open to copy the data from there.
    Nevertheless, this is going to be really inconvenient and time consuming.
    I am switching to 1Password because of ease of family password sharing. However, SplashID is definitely far better than 1Password when it comes to changing categories.
    1Password developers: please download and look at a trial copy of SplashID. See how they do it. Then enhance 1Password to do the same.
    In addition, would be great if you could allow multiple windows in the product, so an existing entry can be fully seen while creating a new entry.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2019

Hi @Lyndal ,

The customization is exactly what causes importers and converters for other password managers to have difficulties dealing with your data. The SplashID export contains no information about the meaning of your customized types nor its fields, so there should be no shock.

A comment in the converter:

# When a user redefines a card type, the card type and the field semantics are unknown.

So, if you want to convert, the converter would need to be customized to suit your customized categories and fields. I'm happy to help you. If you don't mind creating your own new topic in the appropriate forum, and provide the following information, it would be appreciated:

Which OS are you using to export and convert?
    Which version of SplashID?

This discussion has been closed.