So confused... about 1Password now

I'll explain this as best I can. I've been using 1Password for many years. I bought the standalone licenses. I'm running 6.8.8 that I bought from the app store. I'm not even sure how I'm syncing. But, I think it's through iCloud. I use 1Password on my iMac, my iPhone, and my iPad. I recently bought a Chromebook and want to use 1Password there. This is where I'm lost.

On my Chromebook, the 1Password browser extension was already there when I signed into Chrome. Great. The problem is 1Password wouldn't launch saying it needed the helper app. I Googled this and found that I guess I should be using 1Password X on the Chromebook. I removed the 1Password extension I had been using and installed 1Password X. The problem is it wants me to sign in and I don't have a secret key or a 1Password account. When I came back to my iMac, the Chrome extension here has been changed to 1Password X. So, now I cannot sign into 1Password on my iMac or the Chromebook since I don't have an account.

I'm happy with 1Password 6, but I'd be willing to go to 7. I'm not interested in the subscription service. I want the standalone license. So, here are my questions:

1.) What is 1Password X?
2.) If I purchase 1Password 7, do I have to buy a license for my Mac and for my iOS devices?
3.) Is it seamless going from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 or 1Password X (whatever 1Password X is)?
4.) If I go to 1Password 7, will I get an account so that I can sign in again? Right now, I can't sign in on Chrome on either my iMac or my Chromebook.

Thanks! I love 1Password, but these new options have me very confused. I'm almost ready to give up and use LastPass.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrianWest: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Your extension in Chrome wouldn't have changed to that on its own. It is a separate install from Google's Chrome Web Store. So you would have had to have installed it on that computer yourself, or installed it on another and sync'd it through your Google Account. 1Password X works only with a 1Password.com membership. As with any of the other apps, if you purchased a license only for 1Password for Mac, it won't apply to that. You can use the 1Password desktop extension with that. But the desktop extension will not work on a Chromebook.

1.) What is 1Password X?

It's a new extension designed specifically to run in the browser, so that it can work in Chrome on almost any platform, including Chrome OS and Linux, since the desktop apps aren't available there.

2.) If I purchase 1Password 7, do I have to buy a license for my Mac and for my iOS devices?

Each 1Password version is a separate purchase without a membership, so you'd need to buy each one you want to use.

3.) Is it seamless going from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 or 1Password X (whatever 1Password X is)?

1Password X doesn't apply, as it isn't a Mac app. Upgrading to 1Password for Mac version 7 from version 6 is very easy though.

4.) If I go to 1Password 7, will I get an account so that I can sign in again? Right now, I can't sign in on Chrome on either my iMac or my Chromebook.

You will only have an account if you sign up for a 1Password.com membership, which includes all the apps and updates, and does away with license management and sync configuration: you sign into your account on each device to access your data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• BrianWest
    BrianWest
    Community Member

Thanks! I think I've got it now. If I want to use 1Password on my Chromebook I'll be forced to buy a subscription and use 1Password X.

And, BTW, it must have been a sync that changed the extension on my iMac because I sure didn't do it. When I came back to my iMac, the former 1Password extension was gone and the 1Password X extension was there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrianWest,

What you experienced there was a combination of some 1Password X behaviour and Chrome's syncing. When you install the 1Password X extension it removes the companion extension, in part to try and reduce confusion. When it did this Chrome's syncing took that as an indication to sync the change elsewhere. Once you remove 1Password X you will find you can re-install the companion extension and that it won't disappear on you again.

• BrianWest
    BrianWest
    Community Member

Thanks for the information. At least now I understand my options. Seems if I want to use 1Password on my Chromebook, I have to buy it for both iOS and Mac and I have to go the subscription route.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @BrianWest,

For a Chromebook yeah, I'm afraid the only option is the 1Password account as 1Password X is the only standalone extension and it does require a 1Password account to work.

Just so there's no confusion though. The subscription based component of the 1Password account does mean you're entitled to run 1Password on any supported devices. As long as the account is active you are allowed to run the most current version of 1Password available. What you definitely don't want to do is purchase a 1Password 7 licence and then take out a subscription.

I only mention that because in the earlier days we saw a lot of that confusion. Hopefully we're doing things better to reduce it but I have no doubt we still have some way to go.

• BrianWest
    BrianWest
    Community Member

Oh... so the subscription covers all platforms- iOS, Mac, and Chrome (since it's just an extension on Chrome)?

• Hey @BrianWest,

Great question! When you sign up for a 1Password membership (subscription), the data you secure in your account will be available to you when you sign in to your account on 1Password.com as well as in the following apps (and their future upgrades):

• 1Password X (Available in Chrome, Chromium based browsers and Firefox)
    • 1Password for Mac
    • 1Password for Windows
    • 1Password for Android
    • 1Password for iOS
    • The 1Password browser extension (requires a connection to 1Password for Mac or Windows)
    • The Safari App Extension (bundled with 1Password for Mac)

Here you will find some more information about what you get out of a 1Password membership: About 1Password membership

I hope this helps!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrianWest: Feel free to shoot me an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. I'll be happy to help you make the transition. :)

This discussion has been closed.