Safari Extension Disappear

Fneto
Fneto
Community Member

Since Yesterday, my safari extension disappear from the toolbar. I tried to install it again and after the installation it appears again in the toolbar, but after I quit safari and open again it starts without the extension.

Another important information is that even when I install the extension, it can't communicate with 1 password.

All other browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Opera) are working fine with 1password, but my main browser is safari.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Have you looked in Safari > Preferences > Extensions?

Apple made some changes in Safari 12, which I believe is what you would be using with Mac OS 10.14. The effect is that the old Safari extension no longer works. However you should have a 1Password 7.2.1 extension (same numbering as 1PW itself) installed. But this may not be enabled. If you already have extension 7.2.1 installed and enabled and still have trouble, then something else is going on and I can't help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Fneto! Apple made significant changes to the extensions framework in Safari 12 (which ships standard in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)). They retired the traditional .safariextz-style extensions we were all accustomed to, in favor of a new extension type called Safari App Extensions. In 1Password 7 for Mac version 7.2 and onward, this is the version we ship. That means not only do you not need to use the older 4.7.3.90 extension, you can't use it. Please remove the older extension and restart both 1Password and Safari. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), don't just use File > Quit. Once Safari restarts, look in Preferences > Extensions, and you should see a 1Password extension with the version number the same as the app -- 7.2.1. Is it there? Make sure it's activated (should be), and let me know how you get on.

• mikepieronek
    mikepieronek
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I removed the older 4.7.3... extension. I've quit completely, restarted etc. but I have no extensions at all are listed in Preferences > Extensions. I'm running
    Safari 12.0.1 on
    Mac High Sierra 10.13.6. And running
    1Password 7
    Version 7.2.2 (70202006)
    AgileBits Store (copy to clipboard)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikepieronek - hmmm -- are you still having this problem? Please try another restart of your Mac, and if that has no effect, can you let us know the exact nature of the problem -- are there just no 1Password extensions in Safari's Preferences > Extensions? Or can you not enable/use it?

• mikepieronek
    mikepieronek
    Community Member

Yep. Still have the problem. I restarted the computer. In Safari I have no extensions listed. None.

I have two MacBook Pros. The one which isn't loading the extensions just started doing this about a week ago. It had been working fine for a couple of months. It is running High Sierra. My other MBP is running Sierra. The extension loads on that one fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikepieronek: Then unfortunately something is wrong with Safari on that particular Mac. You may be able to straighten it out by dragging 1Password to the Trash, restarting your Mac, and then installing a fresh copy from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

But if Safari is not loading the extension from the app itself, there is nothing we can do to make it do so. You may have luck rebooting into Recovery Mode to repair disk permissions, but otherwise it will likely be necessary to reinstall the OS from there. I'd recommend getting in touch with Apple prior to that though, in case they know some tricks to get Safari to behave without resorting to anything extreme.

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

I have the extension listed in Safari Preferences as 7.2.4. But I can't see it in the toolbar. It does not let me enable or disable, only uninstall. But in order to do that it asks me to uninstall 1P, which I won't do. Alternatives?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@goldfilm: If you're not getting the option to enable the extension, that's almost certainly because you're using something old. What are the exact macOS and Safari versions you have installed?

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

10.4.2 Mojave, 12.0.2 Safari. I'll update and see if it comes back. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@goldfilm - sounds good. Let us know what you discover. :)

• wugui420
    wugui420
    Community Member

Hi, I'm on 1Password 6 and just upgraded to Mojave last night. I did a clean install so I have nothing showing in Safari > Preferences > Extensions. When clicking the "Download extension for 1Password 6" link on the #legacy-downloads page I'm simply redirected to the bottom of the page. I'm having trouble downloading the Safari extension. Help please!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @wugui420! If you visit our downloads page, the link is down at the bottom of the page, under "using an older computer?"

...but you can also access it directly right here if you prefer.

I should also mention that using 1Password 6 for Mac in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) with Safari 12 isn't going to be a long-term solution. Apple has already removed users' ability to install older-style extensions from anywhere except the Safari Extensions Gallery (which is partly why we no longer have them available to download; because they can't be installed directly from us any longer in Safari 12). They (Apple) also are planning to shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery at some point in the future, which will make it impossible to use 1Password 6 for Mac in Mojave (since you'll then have no way to install the older .safariextz extension that version 6 needs). For now, what you're attempting should work, but we have no idea for how much longer that will be possible, and we won't be re-opening the code on 1Password 6 for Mac to update it. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• wugui420
    wugui420
    Community Member

@Lars - Now I just feel silly. Thank you for the clear screenshot - must have been a late night for me to completely have missed that link. Thank you for the update on extensions. I've been a user of 1Password since version 5 and love it. I guess it's time to upgrade!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@wugui420 - heh. No worries! Wasn't trying to shame you, believe me, I've been there myself: "what? Where is this thing that's...uh...right here in front of me...? {sheepish grin}" I mostly put up that large graphic for anyone else that might be reading this thread later, so they're not confused about where to find it. Thanks for the kind words about 1Password, and let us know if you have any other questions/issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.