Password Generator for Mobile Apps

Asyd Rayn
Asyd Rayn
Community Member

It would be great if there was a password generator in the Android app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Asyd Rayn. There is indeed a password generator in the Android app. In fact, it was just completely redesigned in 1Password 7. Have a look. :)

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@peri yes, but that's for logins that already exist. What about creating unique passwords for things that HAVE to be done on a phone? For example, linking and setting up smart appliance accounts that need to be set up on your handheld first. That's when I was looking for a password generator as the account needed special characters, etc. Instead I had to write it down then type it in and then set up the login on the desktop. Not a time saver. :)

• I see, @Asyd Rayn. In that case, I'd recommend creating a new Password item and use the generator there. This way you don't need an existing Login.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

A widget is an interesting idea, but then you still have to take a bunch more steps to save it anyway. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want to create a new Login app, so that you have the info saved for that app when you inevitably need it the next time.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

@4EverMaAT seems to grasp what I'm getting at here.

Let me see if I can explain this better. Let's say I'm out with friends and we go to catch a movie. Friends tell me about the movie app for the theater chain where I can earn points for buying tickets and concessions. Now, I don't have that app on my handheld device, so I add it to my phone and begin creating an account (not from the web browser on the phone but in the Android app developed for the phone). In this instance, I need to create a password. It would be great if a.) users have access to the password generator so we don't fall back on making less secure passwords when creating new accounts/logins on our phone while b.) we're out and about without our computers where the password generator for the app resides for new logins.

What @peri suggests is only good for existing passwords and logins previously saved in the phone app from what I can tell. Hope this better clarifies exactly what I'm asking and looking for here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Asyd Rayn: That's what I thought we were talking about. Maybe I'm still misunderstanding. This is what I do in that sort of situation every day:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Create a new Login
    3. Generate a password
    4. Save Login
    5. Copy password
    6. Sign up for account
    7. Make any additional changes to the login (username, paste URL, etc.)

That way I don't lose any of that. Ideally, we'd like to have a good way to do this right within apps to cut down on steps and back and forth. Technically there is, but not many support it yet.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Right, well yea, but if I'm in an app's form it would be nice to be able to generate a password right there without all the switching back and forth, cutting and pasting, etc. If I'm in the app, it would be nice for me to create/generate a password right there from the form within the app without having to go first or open 1password. If I just type something in a password field 1Password will prompt me to save the login at the bottom of the screen.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feature suggestion @Asyd Rayn, I've passed it onto our developers!

For now, you'll have to switch over to the 1Password app and follow the steps brenty mentioned in his last comment to create a new Login item and generate a new password there. Finally, copy the password or use drag-and-drop in split screen to bring the newly generated password into the app/website where you're signing up for a new account, and you should be all set and ready to rock :)

ref: android-36

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@4EverMaAT: That's only possible for apps that support Google's Autofill APIs for saving. The most common I'm aware of, which anyone can try, is connecting to a new Wi-Fi network in Settings; 1Password can offer to save that for you if it's enabled. It's not something we can force other developers to support, but I'm sure more will do so in time. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What do you mean?

This discussion has been closed.