My vaults are duplicated and I don't know whether to merge, delete, or what?

Elusis
Elusis
Community Member

I had a 1Password 6 account, but in going to Mojave on my new Mac, it seemed easier to just go to 1Password 7 as the migration was proving difficult. I got a trial 30-day account, and although I'd prefer not to be paying monthly, gave in and got a family account to cover myself and my partner as I didn't really get how to manage the migration without an account in action.

Now I have two problems, one of which I'll ask for help here on. (The other is that it's unclear how to get my partner's individual data migrated under our family account, but we're working on it, slowly. We'll make another post if we need help there.)

The issue I have that I'd like help on is that now all my password entries are duplicated. There seems to be a "personal" vault and a "primary" vault, and I don't know which is safe to delete. I've been using it for a couple of weeks, making new entries in some cases, which I think are going to "primary." Is it safe to delete "personal"? Does that mean "primary" won't be under my family account after all, in which case why am I paying for it?

See screen shot.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Elusis

The migration process should've prompted you to delete the Primary vault, but that may not have happened or you may have opted to keep it... In the future we're going to make that happen automatically as keeping the Primary vault has caused many more headaches than it has prevented. I'd recommend finding any records that have been added to or updated in the Primary vault, copying those details over to the Personal vault, and then deleting the Primary vault.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

"finding any records that have been added to or updated in the Primary vault, copying those details over to the Personal vault"

How would you suggest I go about doing that?

Also, if I try to delete Primary, it asks me for my Master Password, but then says basically "no, not THAT master password." I guess I have a different one on the family account? But will I be able to change the family account password back to the password I'm used to for logging in on my phone and keyboard?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Select the items you want to copy, right-click, and then use the Share menu to select the destination vault and copy there:

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Regarding the Master Password, only you will know it. It sounds like you've just setup different Master Passwords for the account and that local vault. If you get all of the data you want into your account, we can walk you through the rest. Please do that first.

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

I guess to clarify my question, how should I determine which items have been added to or updated in the Primary vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis: You'll be in a better position to determine that, since (presumably) you would have been the one making the changes. I have no information about your data. The only thing I can suggest that might help is using the desktop app and sorting by "date modified". Otherwise your guess would be much better than mine.

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

I was hoping there was some kind of obvious way - so there's a date modified sort in the desktop app then? That's what I was looking for. Not sure why the snark.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis: No snark. Please take my words at face value. This isn't Twitter! :lol: Indeed, the desktop apps have a number of sorting options, at the top of the item list. I find using "date modified" is pretty useful in general, but in your case that would allow you to see immediately the items you'd modified most recently. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.