To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrade from Individual to Family

njm
njm
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Memberships

Hi, I'm looking for some clarity on upgrading my subscription. I have an annual subscription to the individual plan that seems to be managed by iTunes (I don't recall expressly configuring it that way when I set up 1Password over a year ago, but that seems to be the way mine is set up). I wish to upgrade this to a Family plan. I have had a look around as I could see no intuitive way to do this in 1Password (on Mac and iOS) and lack the "Invite another person" option that I have seen mentioned in some posts. Am I to understand correctly that I need to cancel my subscription in 1Password>Billing>Manage your subscription in iTunes, and then re-subscribe in 1Password for a Families subscription? If so, does the unused balance of my current subscription get carried over? I have seen in other posts that I need to wait for my subscription in iTunes to expire AFTER I cancel it. The current subscription runs out in November 2018, surely I don't have to wait for that before I can request to subscribe for a Family plan!? If cancelling the subscription as described above is the right way to go, what are the steps after that to subscribe to the Family plan and not do this via iTunes? Could you please help clarify the answers to these questions and the steps necessary?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade from individual to family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@njm: You're on the right track. There isn't any way for you to change plans within an Apple subscription, so you'll need to cancel in order to do that. But your subscription will remain active until the date you're already paid through. Similarly, it isn't possible for your payment to Apple to be applied directly to bill through us. But if you'll send us your receipt we can give you a prorated credit on our end if necessary — though if you're switching to a more expensive plan the opposite may be true: you'll might have an additional balance due. But we can help you work out all the details. I'll shoot you an email shortly so we can get the ball rolling, since we cannot discuss account details here in a public forum.

ref: KTX-72816-267

• lightstream
    lightstream
    Community Member

I am in the same situation where i want to upgrade from individual to family. Please email me as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lightstream: Just to clarify, did you subscribe through Apple? If so, have you canceled with them as I mentioned above? If all of that is correct, shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your account's registered email address and use this code as the subject line:

[#RGM-34753-452]

If you’re reading this and you are not lightstream, this Support ID is for lightstream only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

Thanks in advance!

ref: RGM-34753-452

• brom1212
    brom1212
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hi, I did the same thing, although I'm still in the trial period. So, I canceled the trial. Can I go to your site, buy the family plan, keep my same online vault, account, secret key and master password? Or do I need to wait for the 30 days to expire? Thanks.

ref: UEZ-64839-491

• BBSisters
    BBSisters
    Community Member

I have a trial individual account. I meant to do a family account. It looks like it is through iTunes as well. I never explicitly chose to have it through iTunes. I have been a 1password user for many years and have never had such a bad experience as trying to upgrade to a subscription and 1password7. I really like the application. Can I somehow get changed to the family plan without losing what I have done putting it on my phone and iPad?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@brom1212

I see you have been speaking with my colleague Adam over email. Let's keep the conversation there so as to not duplicate efforts.

@BBSisters

Yes, it absolutely is. Generally when signing up from an iOS device, it defaults to an iTunes subscription but that's no problem, we can switch. It just requires a few extra steps. What I need you to do is cancel your iTunes subscription by following the instructions over at https://support.apple.com/HT202039. Once that is done, I would like you to send an email to support@1password.com saying as much and including your forum username and a link to this thread. You will get a response from BitBot with your Support ID. Come back here and post that ID so we can locate your email.

• brom1212
    brom1212
    Community Member

OK, I have done all of that, this is the ID: #ATV-66216-126
    Apologies for emailing as well.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• BBSisters
    BBSisters
    Community Member

OK. I have done all that was directed. ID:[#BQZ-69695-342]

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Thank you @BBSisters. Someone will be right with you.

ref: BQZ-69695-342

• allyourbase
    allyourbase
    Community Member

This is all very helpful information. Do you have advice for someone who wants to get familiar with 1pw first before rolling it out to the rest of the famo? Should I sign up for an individual account online and then convert to family plan later? Seems like easiest way to avoid jumping through hoops is not to sign up through the iOS app.

I'm an iphone user with the intention of using this across an iphone and windows laptop.

• Hi @allyourbase

1Password Families comes with a 30 day free trial, so you’ll get some time to play around with things before inviting your family if you want. It may be easiest to sign up for membership in a web browser on your Windows laptop. It is helpful if you can print your Emergency Kit during the process. :)

Ben

• Kudarah
    Kudarah
    Community Member

I would like to switch from individual (bought via iTunes, expires May 25th, 2019) to 1Password Families too. Pls advise

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@Kudarah: I'll send you an email from support@1password.com shortly and we'll look into your situation.

ref: CNH-24296-113

• george11
    george11
    Community Member

Similar, individual member wants to upgrade to family. iTunes and Apple devices.

• HercJerk
    HercJerk
    Community Member

Same situation. Want to switch from Apple single to direct pay family. Apple store doesn't work well with one of your accounts. Will cancel apple subscription as soon as I hear from you.

• seanhemming
    seanhemming
    Community Member

Hi I also want to upgrade to family membership. I signed up for membership through itunes but im still in the trial period.Can i upgrade without loosing my vaults?

thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi I also want to upgrade to family membership. I signed up for membership through itunes but im still in the trial period.Can i upgrade without loosing my vaults?

@seanhemming: Absolutely. Shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll go from there. Just post the Support ID you receive and I'll be happy to take a look. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Same situation. Want to switch from Apple single to direct pay family. Apple store doesn't work well with one of your accounts. Will cancel apple subscription as soon as I hear from you.

@HercJerk: You'll probably want to email us at support@1password.com for help with that...but can you tell me what you mean by "doesn't work well with one of your accounts"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@george11: I see that you also emailed us separately, and Jessy has already replied there. Please reply to his email when you get a chance, so avoid confusion in multiple places. :)

ref: VRH-47739-653

• mautro
    mautro
    Community Member

Hi,

I want to do the same. I sent an email to support@1password.com but I got no reply :-(
    I understand I need to cancel my individual and re-register as family but I guess I need your help in making sure any balance positive / negative is handle appropriately.

How can I move forward?

Thanks,
    Mauro

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mautro: Sorry, we try to reply to messages in the order in which they are received. I think that's fair, but I apologize that it means you may have to wait longer than you want. I'll follow up with you via email shortly to help you get sorted.

ref: DCK-45266-333

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Hi,

I’ve cancelled my Itunes individual subscription and would like to signup for a Family plan.

I've sent an email to support@ linking to this comment, with my info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. I'll get back to you via email shortly.

ref: GCK-58692-873

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member

thanks @brenty - I am all set.

• Hey @7dy4ru9 , I'm glad to hear Brenty was able to help over email! If there's anything else we can help with, please let us know.

• mscrigner
    mscrigner
    Community Member

Hi there.. I would like to upgrade my individual plan to a family one. How should I proceed? I didnt pay my subscription with Apple.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mscrigner: If you didn't sign up through Apple, that makes it very easy: just sign into your account on the website:

https://start.1password.com

Click "Invite People" on the right and you're on your way. :)

• coatneym
    coatneym
    Community Member

Hi - I'd like to upgrade from an individual subscription to the family subscription. I've canceled my free trial through iTunes and have opened a case with support through #XDC-44146-396

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@coatneym: Thanks. I'll get back to you there shortly.

ref: XDC-44146-396

This discussion has been closed.