To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

have stand alone 1Password on my desktop mac, would like to be able to use on iphone

Options
GlenL
GlenL
Community Member

I have a mac mini, and the 1Password app on it. To use it, I just put in my master password, no login required. I would like to be able to link that to the 1Password app on my iphone

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1
Sync Type: icloud?
Referrer: forum-search:have stand alone 1Password on my desktop mac, would like to be able to use on iphone

Comments

• Hello @GlenL,

Unfortunately the stand alone licenses only apply to the platform they were purchased on. Since you have 1Password for Mac the license will only work on MacOS devices.

If you mean that you would like to sync your vault from 1Password for MacOS to the 1Password app on your phone you can definitely do that using one of our advanced sync options found here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Please let us know if you have any questions or need help with anything.

• GlenL
    GlenL
    Community Member
    Options

Hi jin_dhaliwal,

That's exactly what I would like to do - sync my 1Password for MacOS to the 1Password app on my phone. Thank you for the link.

Additional questions: If I am able to do that successfully, would the two update each other as new passwords are entered on either device? And will it make it more difficult to access 1Password on either/both devices, eg. requiring an extra password, or 2factor authorization each time the app or MacOS versions are used or modified?

• GlenL
    GlenL
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Jin_dhaliwal,

Thank you for the reply. That's exactly what I would like to do.

Some questions:
    1. On the link it appears there are 2 good options for me, either a 1Password membership, or, because I only have 1 vault, and use Apple products exclusively, through the icloud. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?
    2. When the vault on my Mac is synced with the app on my phone, will there be additional steps needed to either access or update passwords, like an additional factor besides the master password, like a second password, or 2 factor ID?
    3. Will new passwords automatically be accessible on both devices, when passwords are added on either?
    Thanks for any info. you can provide.

• Hello again,

Let me address your questions:

1. 1Password membership will allow you to sync as many devices on as many platforms at you like. If you get a windows machine for work or decide to switch phones you won't need to purchase new licenses. A membership also includes all major updates to the 1Password app. A license only applies to a single major release (a license for 1Password7, wouldn't work for 1Password8 when it comes out). You can read more about the advantages of a membership here: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

2. There will be no extra steps needed to log into your account on your phone. Just master password, or fingerprint if you set it up.

3. Another advantage of a membership is that you don't need to manage sync yourself. If you have a membership the apps will automatically sync with each other. If you have licenses you will need to set up the apps to sync using one of our advanced sync options: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Hopefully that clears things up a bit. Let us know if you need any more information.

This discussion has been closed.