What happened to this product?

Options
stenor_36
stenor_36
Community Member

I've owned this app for maybe 5 or more years. Don't even remember. Never had problems upgrading occasionally. Did an upgrade on Mojave in mid 2018 and lost it from Safari. Safari did not show the new version in extensions dialogue. Got tired of opening 1password separately and thought I would find latest version and install. Maybe that would solve problem of adding it back to Safari extensions.

"installed" 7.22. Got caught up in an endless series of "subscription" options. And it made no sense to me.

Now I've got this useless 7.22 because it contains none, zero, zilch of my previous 1password passwords etc.

Did you set out to create the worst upgrade experience in the history of application or OS upgrades?

1Password Version: 7.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave 10.14, Safari 12.0
Sync Type: not applicable

Comments

• ptdiver
    ptdiver
    Community Member
    Options

I did the same but I have my passwords in 7.2.2 but cant access them. Something about extensions and unlocking??? Why cant they do a up grade with instructions that us common folk can understand??

• stenor_36
    stenor_36
    Community Member
    Options

There are two things behind this. First, they want this subscription model to make the dollars flow. Second, they are entirely incompetent and can't present the process in a manner that most people can understand. I spent two hours of my life on this problem today. Two hours I will never get back. There are alternatives a plenty to 1password and at this point, I don't even care if they are more expensive.

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member
    Options

Agilebits fixing something that didn’t need to be fixed is what happened.

A couple of years ago, 1Password was the leading password management application and had the lion’s share of the market. The software worked well and received accolades from users, reviewers and security companies.

Then the push towards subscriptions came, resulting in 1Password version 7.

1Password 7 reveals the inherent problem with subscriptions. New software releases are used to justify subscription fees whether or not the software has actually been improved.

Agilebits should have implemented a preference checkbox to use 1Password 6’s UI with Mojave’s dark mode, addressed outstanding issues and improved stability.

As it stands now, the damage has been done, both technically and with the marketing methods employed.

• stenor_36
    stenor_36
    Community Member
    Options

The most astonishing fact is, this post has been available for a full business day, 60 views and not a single Agilebits representative has posted simply to say "sorry about your upgrade problem. let me tell you how to get your passwords back". Now that's customer support.

• caseyandgina
    caseyandgina
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

In my case, 1Password 6 stopped working complaining about no license. I couldn't figure it out, so I deleted it intending to reinstall. Then I couldn't find the download link for 1Password 6 anymore, so I thought I had to get 1Password 7. That appeared to want to force me into a nasty subscription model, and I was at a loss. Finally I sadly conceded to try a subscription trial out (and start investigating alternative software) as I didn't see another option, but couldn't as it said I had an account already though sending password reminders didn't work and I certainly don't remember ever creating an account. I contacted AgileBits support to get that account deleted and then found that I could download 1Password 6 from the website, it's just farther down on the page and I didn't see it at first. I also found that I could use 1Password 7 with my Dropbox Vault without any monthly cost if I purchased 1Password 7, so I did so, as I looked forward to the dark mode support for Mojave, which although very simple seems to be something AgileBits would rather not add to 1Password 6 to get more people to upgrade. I also didn't want to be stuck with a version of the app which wasn't going to continue being updated.

1Password 7 works alright, but it "forgets" that it should use Touch ID just like on my phone, prompting me for the master password all the time (at least on iOS, going into the preferences and turning Touch ID off then back on generally makes it work for a few days or weeks on iOS until it breaks again, not yet sure if that's the case on Mac), and for some reason they thought it was wise to move the nice popup menu that would show up near the menubar or icon in safari that you click on to the middle of the screen. Maybe that's sort of okay, though still really annoying, on a small laptop screen...it's totally unbearable on my 43" screen at work where the window appears thousands of pixels away from where I just clicked to pop it up. Support advised me that while I could not get the old behavior back, that I could move the popup window wherever I wanted, and then it would continue to reappear there every time thenceforth. Funny thing is, it's not a moveable window, at least in any normal drag-and-drop way I could figure out. I finally figured out I could resize the window a couple times to get it where I want. Yuck. Anyways I got it up in the top right which worked okay when clicking the menubar icon, but do you think a web browser (and thus it's 1Password button) is going to always be at the same location when using a very large screen? Of course not. So this crappy hack doesn't cut it at all. I keep updating to each new beta release hoping for a fix, but nothing yet and who knows if they will ever bother.

I'm happy to admit my own ignorance displayed above with regard to not understanding that I could use 1Password 7 without a subscription and could still download 1Password 6 if I wanted, but the biggest problem with this whole ordeal is how horrible and confusing of an experience it was, making it seem like I had to sign up, and not being able to simply have a dark mode and other simple updates for 1Password 6. I can't really see anything better about 1Password 7, and while it does work (ignoring the worse UX), I don't see anything new in this release that justifies the cost I had to pay for a 1Password 7 license. I feel like I've just been forced to pay them for development of a lousy subscription model service that I'll never use, and have to suffer a serious UX degradation as a result. Something as simple as dark mode is being used as a hostage while pretty much everybody else just added it to their apps for free.

Frankly, I don't see why they are bothering pushing the subscription model so hard. It's a nice option for some people I suppose, but as it gives you nothing over free sync methods that work great except a web interface, it seems like a horrible waste of money. I imagine anyone signing up for a subscription is doing so because they don't see the other options, or because it has a free trial (a.k.a. are being tricked in, which is sad to see a company doing). With standalone vaults, we already have to pay for each new major version; isn't that enough to fund ongoing development?

I've used 1Password for many years, since it was very new. I used to recommend it lovingly to anyone. Now I am filled with hesitation as I must explain the whole mess and how to unintuitively navigate around what it tries to make you do to get it to do what you want, the bad UX, etc. That's a really bad transition - "what happened to this product?" indeed!

Instead of marketing the subscription option which is actually valuable to a tiny subset of customers so heavily that it seems there aren't even other options anymore, just offer it as an option equally along with standalone vault options. Don't charge a bunch for a new release that offers nothing new of value to the customers required to pay for it. Add basic features like support for new OS versions to legacy versions as long as it does not cost a large amount to do so. Fix the bugs in all versions with a higher priority than developing new features. And if you're going to make a radical UX change that may be considered worse, at least put in a checkbox in the preferences to change it back, please...

• stenor_36
    stenor_36
    Community Member
    Options

caseyandgina - You have certainly provided a lot of detail to your situation. Evidence to date indicates that Agilebits simply does not care.

It would be simple enough to throw some dialogue up when a user tries to upgrade to 7.x. Just explain that in doing this, you will be forced into this subscription model and will lose all your passwords if you do the upgrade. Thing is, the upgrade requires access to your email and your credit card info. Maybe Agilebits never thought of the fact that access to your email account and maybe even your CC info would require 1password. Because your passwords are in the now non-functional 1password. But at that point your 1password saved accounts are gone and no longer accessible.

I've been in IT for a very long time. The most basic and fundamental aspects of software development, support etc. has been dropping like a stone for at least a decade or more. This 1password is an example of the spiraling decline in product development and management thereof, and it will get much worse in the years ahead.

• qwert
    qwert
    Community Member
    Options

I used to put 5 stars, the application was more convenient and smarter than direct competitors. I bought TWO versions, under Mac and under Windows. Now 1password goes in the trash. No alternative upgrade for mobile version 7, rejection of the old format and synchronization via Dropbox, a subscription or 60 bucks for new icons ... Thank you, but no. It is a pity that you do not respect the old users, thanks to whom YOU AND RISE. :'(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @stenor_36!

The most astonishing fact is, this post has been available for a full business day, 60 views and not a single Agilebits representative has posted simply to say "sorry about your upgrade problem. let me tell you how to get your passwords back".

Again, apologies for the delay in our reply. I can hear your frustration, but we try to handle user issues in the order we receive them, as a general rule. My guess is you'd be even more frustrated if I passed over your concerns to answer people who wrote in more recently than you, just because they complained they weren't getting attention quickly enough, so I hope you'll understand us attending to the folks who've been waiting longer than you have. Thanks for your patience. :) I'm also sorry for the difficulties you've had getting upgraded, but let's focus on getting a solution.

It would be simple enough to throw some dialogue up when a user tries to upgrade to 7.x. Just explain that in doing this, you will be forced into this subscription model and will lose all your passwords if you do the upgrade.

Indeed, we might do this if either of those things were true -- but they're not. We still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac, just as we always have. For reasons our CEO Jeff Shiner explains in this post, we aren't selling 1Password 7 for Mac as a standalone purchase in the Mac App Store (subscription only if you download/install from Apple). But if you (or anyone in this thread) would like a standalone license, you can download and install the version of 1Password 7 for Mac from our downloads page and purchase one right from within the app itself. It's also not the case that you will lose your existing 1Password data by either upgrading from version 6 to version 7 or by switching from a standalone setup to a 1password.com account -- or both. If you had problems (or especially if you're still having troubles) that resulted in what appears to be the loss of your data, I'd be more than happy to help get you squared away and help you restore all of your previous data (which is indeed still on your Mac).

Did an upgrade on Mojave in mid 2018 and lost it from Safari.

Can you tell me what this means? You upgraded to Mojave? Or you were ON Mojave already and upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac? What does "lost it from Safari" mean? You were unable to see the extension in Safari's Preferences > Extensions menu (and the menubar)?

At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#DDM-44118-876]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @stenor_36 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: DDM-44118-876

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macindigo

Then the push towards subscriptions came, resulting in 1Password version 7.

Since you've had this conversation previously on this forum, I'm pretty sure you're aware this isn't the case, but for the benefit of newer folks in this thread as well as people who may stumble onto it later: the "push" you're describing (to the extent such a thing exists) is not a push for subscriptions for their own sake, it's because 1password.com membership is far and away the easiest and most stable way to use 1Password, especially for first-timers who are new to 1Password or even to the concept of password management altogether. We looked back at years of development of 1Password and realized that what was both holding us back from offering a lot of the features we wanted to be able to offer our users as well as what was generating the bulk of problems for our users, was relying on fragile 3rd party sync solutions that had to be manually set up, maintained and - all too frequently - troubleshot. 1password.com was and continues to be a way for us to be able to write a custom, purpose-built solution for 1Password users that combines the existing 1Password native apps you're familiar with, with a server/data host/sync solution that's truly worthy of it. Yes, this is paid for via subscription rather than a one-time fee for a specific version, but that's chiefly because there are ongoing costs for maintaining it, not because we just wanted to force all of our users to change payment methods.

And it's worked. Once people get set up with a 1password.com account, they tend to have far fewer problems of the sort we saw previously: data duplicated or unsynced via sync mis-configuration, confusion about licensing, and the like.

1Password 7 reveals the inherent problem with subscriptions. New software releases are used to justify subscription fees whether or not the software has actually been improved.

Again, no. As I pointed out above to stenor_36, standalone licenses are still available for 1Password 7 for Mac. There are indeed a few features that are only available via a 1password.com membership, but that's a function of the fact that it's not possible to offer things like Account Recovery or online, individual item history (and restoration) in a standalone setup that by nature must rely on the limited 3rd party APIs of external sync providers. We're happy to help if you -- or anyone else -- has problems with or questions about any aspect of 1Password use. Indeed, that's what this forum is for. And although we're getting into Festivus season, something this forum isn't for is a space for the repeated airing of the same grievances regarding directions people wish we'd have taken/not taken. If long-time users want to continue purchasing standalone licenses, that's still an option. If they want to continue using advanced, 3rd party sync in their 1Password setup, they can. I'm not sure what else there is to say about it.

• stenor_36
    stenor_36
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I sent report to support. Individual named Greig and ticket [#TWD-92183-186].

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @caseyandgina! I'm sorry for the trouble.

In my case, 1Password 6 stopped working complaining about no license.

Did you originally purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, or directly from us via the older AgileBits store. And do you remember about when you purchased? A licensed copy of 1Password for Mac - whether 6 or 7 or any other version I can remember - doesn't just "stop working". Did you switch to a new Mac, re-download/install 1Password or something similar?

I'm glad you were able to find the download link for 1Password 6 for Mac eventually; for the record, it's indeed available, just as it has always been, on our downloads page -- in the "using an older computer" section further down the page (might have to scroll just a bit to find it).

1Password 7 works alright, but it "forgets" that it should use Touch ID just like on my phone, prompting me for the master password all the time.

It shouldn't. There are indeed settings and conditions for timeout which will require your Master Password in Preferences > Security, but if you've set these and know for certain that 1Password isn't respecting them, then something definitely seems to be amiss with your setup. Let us know if that's the case, and under what conditions you notice it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @qwert! I don't know what you mean by "No alternative upgrade for mobile version 7, rejection of the old format," but we definitely do still offer synchronization via Dropbox, using a standalone setup. However, it sounds as if you've already left us for other alternatives, so I wish you well -- stay safe out there. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stenor_36 - thanks. I see Greig has been assisting you, and you should be all set now, but let us know if that's not the case.

I think part of your initial issue here is likely due to the fact that your lone purchase of 1Password appears to have been version 3 from the Mac App Store six years ago in Dec 2012. The reason upgrading has been easy for you since then is that all it's entailed is hitting "update" in the Mac App Store. Since then, you've enjoyed full version upgrades to versions 4, 5 and 6 for free. Version 7 is the first time we've charged all users again for a new, full-version upgrade, because the Mac App Store does not allow developers to charge upgrade pricing for the same app. I see you've said you want to stay on version 6 to avoid paying for new versions. That's fine...as long as you have hardware and versions of macOS that will run version 6. But I did want to give you a heads-up about changes coming in the near future.

Since you've been in IT for many years, you'll already be familiar with the inadvisability of trying to keep one component of your system (be it browser, OS or other software) frozen in amber as you upgrade everything else around it. It's simply a recipe for increasing incompatibilities and frustration over time. And on that note, I did want to make you aware that changes Apple made to macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) - specifically, to Safari 12 - will mean that 1Password 6 for Mac will have a limited life-span there. In Safari 12, Apple formally retired the existing .safariextz style of browser extension we've all been using for years, and replaced it with the new Safari App Extension format. This brings a number of improvements which you can read about here, and 1Password 7 for Mac includes the newer format, built right into the app. As a legacy version of 1Password, however, version 6 does not and will not include the new format. For the present, Safari 12 still allows users to install the older 4.7.3.90 extension that 1Password 6 for Mac uses -- but only from the Safari Extensions Gallery. And Apple has already told us they plan to sunset the Safari Extensions Gallery probably after the end of the year (though no firm date has been set). What that means is that if you've already upgraded to Mojave and you're a Safari user, at some point in the not-too-distant future, 1Password 6 for Mac will not work in your browser of choice any more. At that point, your options will be:

1. Switch to another browser (both Firefox and Chrome continue to use the 4.7.3.90 extension)
    2. Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac which has the full Safari App Extension
    3. Return to copy/paste for your login items in your browser

Hope that's helpful. :)

• stenor_36
    stenor_36
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to find backup of vault from v6.x and restore to 7.x. Why that didn't happen during "upgrade" remains a mystery.

But here's the important point. I visited the Agilebits website on Sunday and learned that quickest support was through forums. It's now Thursday. So ignoring non-work day (Sunday), it took we 4 days to get my passwords back. During that time I could not pay bills, visit medical portals and on and on, because no passwords.

I bought the product back in 2012 as you note. I never had a need for support until now. Don't recall what I paid for the product. I have no experience pricing software or support. I'll concede it's a very complicated issue. But this support model is a disaster given what the product does. It took me four days to solve the huge problem of having no passwords. And yes, I did print these out at one point, put them in my safe. But must have removed from safe for some reason and couldn't put my hands on them.

I'll look at alternatives at this point. I just can't trust something so critical to an organization with this kind of support, especially if the vault is kept somewhere else (with 7.x) for purposes of synchronizing among devices. It's just not trustworthy.

All of this is falling apart. Not just what you produce, but Apple and almost everything I encounter these days. The whole house of cards is just that. And the talent to keep it supported is dwindling. Each day, the entire industry is delivering more needlessly flashy products with greatly reduced reliability and with diminished support models. It's going to get worse.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that. We work from the oldest threads to the newest, so a perhaps undesirable effect of choosing a "clickbait" title for your new topic is that it attracted views and comments which pushed it back to the newest repeatedly for a couple days. But then again it isn't clear to me reading your original post what your question is or where you're getting stuck exactly, so I'm not sure I could have helped you find a resolution immediately even if I'd seen it right away myself when I was working on Sunday. But given the other details you added later on, it sounds like all you needed to do to get into your data after installing version 7 by mistake was to remove it and use 1Password 6 instead (to be clear, you wouldn't have been offered an upgrade to version 7 through the App Store anyway, as it it a completely separate download from the version you purchased; you would have had to have installed it separately yourself). Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get it sorted. Hopefully you don't encounter any issues in the future, but if you do we're happy to help you with 1Password -- and we can do so most efficiently with any relevant information you can provide. But if you've moved on to something else out of frustration, I understand. Unfortunately pessimism tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy though. Good luck. :blush:

• stenor_36
    stenor_36
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty - I'm certain that all Agilebit employees are competent and hard working people. I didn't plan a "click bait" title. I was frustrated because I lost access to all my passwords. It wasn't anything I did. The upgrade that I stumbled into, failed to use any of the dozens of password vault backups that existed on my machine.

My post was pretty clear, in that it stated that I lost all my passwords.

The idea that a forum post becomes "newer" due to responses is just ridiculous. The original post has a time stamp. What happens after that, with 1password users providing commentary, should not change the order of the problem stated in the post.

Your energy should be spent troubleshooting how an upgrade could fail to link to existing 1password vaults, or whatever you call them. That's the problem. Not my title.

No ill will intended toward you or the 1password organization. But I had to respond to your words there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Brenty - I'm certain that all Agilebit employees are competent and hard working people. I didn't plan a "click bait" title.

@stenor_36: Sorry. I didn't mean anything by it. I just wasn't sure what else to call it. I 100% get where you were coming from.

I was frustrated because I lost access to all my passwords. It wasn't anything I did. The upgrade that I stumbled into, failed to use any of the dozens of password vault backups that existed on my machine. My post was pretty clear, in that it stated that I lost all my passwords.

I don't doubt that it made perfect sense to you, but that's because you have much more information that we do as a starting point. You certainly stated that you couldn't figure out how to access your passwords at that time, after installing the other app. What I meant was that that wasn't enough information for Lars to be able to offer you a solution right off the bat, and would not have been for me either -- though at this point we have a much better understanding of it all.

The idea that a forum post becomes "newer" due to responses is just ridiculous. The original post has a time stamp. What happens after that, with 1password users providing commentary, should not change the order of the problem stated in the post.

I'm not sure that there is any forum or email software that works that way. But I don't disagree with you that in this specific instance that was unhelpful. Perhaps that's something that could be changed in the future.

Your energy should be spent troubleshooting how an upgrade could fail to link to existing 1password vaults, or whatever you call them. That's the problem. Not my title. No ill will intended toward you or the 1password organization. But I had to respond to your words there.

I understand completely. My point was just that your words similarly elicited a response from others, which unfortunately complicated things a bit when you were already having a rough time. Anyway, no offense taken; and I do appreciate reading all of your comments, as it helps to get a sense of where people are running into trouble. As much as we enjoy hearing from folks who are having a good experience, we learn more from the opposite. Thanks for taking the time to offer some additional insights, now that your issue has been resolved. We'll see what we can do not only to prevent you and others from encountering problems in the first place going forward, but also to help everyone more efficiently when they do.

This discussion has been closed.