To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have just upgraded to 1Password 7 but need a secret key to sign in

aderowbotham
aderowbotham
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Memberships

Hi there

I have been running 1Password 6 on 2 macs and 1 iPhone for some time. My vault is synched to Dropbox.

I have to upgrade to a subscription account in 1Password 7.

I have done this. Now it is working - synching to dropbox - but I am not signed into an account in the app yet. I am not signed into the app on any other devices yet, those are still synched to the dropbox file (still on the old version)

When I go to 'sign in' it asks for:

• sign in address
  • email address
  • secret key
  • master password

I received an email from 1Password containing my sign-in address. Obviously I know the email address and the master password I just created. But I have not been sent a 'secret key'.

The email says:

"Be sure to print out your Emergency Kit. It’s where you will find your Secret Key, which protects your data, and which you will need to sign in to 1Password from new devices."

When I click the emergency kit link it asks me to sign in ad https://my.1password.com/signin?landing-page=/profile

However this login requires the secret key!

This seems crazy no?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 70202006
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:secret key

Comments

• aderowbotham
    aderowbotham
    Community Member

To add: I have been given no such file "1Password Emergency Kit". No download was ever triggered.

After I created the account in 1Password 7 there was an error saying my vault is locked, and then it stalled there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aderowbotham: Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, you would have gotten the Emergency Kit at the end of the signup process...but if you encountered an error during that on your Mac you won't have one. I'll shoot you an email shortly to help you with that, as you'll need to setup a new account.

ref: CWQ-31629-342

The rest you mentioned above all stems from that. Once you have your account credentials, you can sign into the app, migrate your data to the account, and then remove the old vault -- 1Password.com has built in sync, so there's no separate sync service to configure. :)

• aderowbotham
    aderowbotham
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you. I would like to set up a new account, but free up my email address, which is now locked in a dead account.

Also I can access my vaults but only read-only because the app is not logged into an account.

The possibility of this error feels to me like an Achilles heel in the sign up process!

• aderowbotham
    aderowbotham
    Community Member

@brenty Hi there - just chasing up a reply to this ticket, or my email. Please let me know when I am safe to start setting up a new account with that address. Thank you.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You say you have to upgrade to a subscription account.

Subscriptions are a good thing, I recommend them, but you can get a stand-alone licence if you prefer. The only thing is that the App Store version is subscription only, if you want a licence yoou have to get 1PW direct from AgileBits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aderowbotham: Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do to prevent or recover from network issues that occur during the signup process. It's easy any time after that since, worst case scenario, you just need to try to sign in using your credentials again. Without the credentials in the first place though, that just isn't possible.

Anyway, let's continue the conversation via email so we're not trying to have it in multiple places at once.

• negusb
    negusb
    Community Member

Hi brenty
    I have a similar problem.
    ive been using 1password for years and (thought) Id upgraded to new family option this year but cant locate an emergency kit.
    I can still log in on my iMac, iphone and iPad, but can't invite my family or log into my account
    yours
    Bernie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@negusb: Do you have a 1Password.com membership subscription?

• If you do this guide may help:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code | 1Password

Your Secret Key, which you'll need to log in at https://my.1password.com, is likely stored within the 1Password apps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.