Setting up 1Password 6 on a parallel computer

davide_c
davide_c
Community Member

Hi,

I have to hand in my MacBook for a couple of days for a repair, and in the meanwhile I'm setting up another computer I have in the house with the minimum amount of software and data that I will need in those days. Among these: 1Password.

On my current computer I have 1Password 6.8.9 installed. Local version, no cloud/Dropbox.

On my "temp" computer I have now downloaded and installed 1Password 6.8.9. Now I would like to apply the license of my current computer to the temp computer, and I need to load the Vault with my passwords,.

• I have located the license file
  • But I cannot find the vault.

So my questions are:

• How do I apply the license file to the newly installed 1Password on my temp computer?
  • Where is the vault located on my current computer?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

Hi, just wanted to update this question, because I solved it – maybe this is useful to someone else.

The location of the vault is here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

[Incidentally, if you don't see the "Library" folder in your home directory, aka "~/", you can turn it visible by pressing "Command + Shift + .". I just learned that this is, since macOS High Sierra, a new trick to make invisible files visible]

Then I copied the last backup file (the ones ending in .1p4-zip) from there into my new (temp) computer. I opened 1Password and asked to restore from backup, then selected this file.

The great news is that by restoring from that backup, 1Password immediately also applied my current license to the new (temp) computer. So both questions are solved at once now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davide_c - sorry for the delay in our reply here; we've been a bit swamped with support requests recently. Glad you were able to work through the issues on your own, however!

To be clear, that is NOT the location of your vault, it's the location of the regular backups made by 1Password. The most-recent one in that folder should be, but doesn't have to be, fairly close to whatever the current status of your data is. But 1Password makes a new backup about every 24 hours for you (presuming it's open). If you have made any changes to the data in the time since the most-recent backup was made, those changes will not be reflected in the most-recent backup file there. The actual 1Password data file itself is always located in one of two places (in 1Password 4-6 for Mac):

• if your copy of 1Password is from the Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    • if your copy of 1Password is directly from us: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

Copying the most-current backup file (as you did) will work fine...but you can also sync your data to a folder on your computer (desktop is fine), then copy that sync keychain out to a USB flash drive, for example, and use "sneakernet" (i.e. - your feet) to take that to the new Mac, insert it, and use that as the data source.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and solution here with other users! :)

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

Thank you, Lars, for your thoughtful answer! This is why your company is so great.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davide_c - thanks for the kind words, and for being a 1Password user. :)

This discussion has been closed.