To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret Key is making me want to stop using 1Password

Lassi
Lassi
Community Member

Please, I'd like to use just the traditional two-factor authentication and no secret key.
The Secret Key is just too much of an hassle. And having the emergency kit as a print or a file on your computer or a USB stick doesn't seem very secure to me. Sounds more like a way to lock yourself out of 1Password by forgetting where you put the emergency kit.

So please, allow the use without it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lassi
    Lassi
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password so that I don't need to write/print/save things like this anywhere. One password + 2FA should be enough for most users.

• Lassi
    Lassi
    Community Member

The app should be named 1PasswordAndASecretKey from now on.

/end rant

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I don't see the issue.

Unless you need to use 1PW on a new machine (perhaps one you don't normally use) you have to enter the secret key once only, and then it is stored for you.

• Lassi
    Lassi
    Community Member

I still need to have it stored somewhere not on those devices I regularly use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lassi: That's what the Emergency Kit is for. We generally recommend storing in in a secure location like a safe deposit box, but it's up to you.

However, I think it's worth stating that this is important, but only for true emergencies -- e.g. all of your devices have been lost, stolen, or destroyed; otherwise you'll always have it in an app/browser you've already authorized with your account.

This discussion has been closed.