Unable to "Add Existing Account" on older device [requires current version of 1Password]

jack4abits
jack4abits
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Families

I was successful with the same family user on their new iPhone XR using the Scan Account Details option. But on this iPad with this version of 1password, everything seems to work ok including scanning the barcode and getting the proper Secret Key, but sign it fails with "Check Your Email and Secret Key". I have checked the secret key and also manually pasted in the Secret key, but no luck. I have restarted app and also iPad, no change in behavior.

1Password Version: 6.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 9.3.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jack4abits: A lot has changed since 1Password 6 -- both in the apps and the service. Definitely try entering your account credentials manually. But is this an individual membership?

• jack4abits
    jack4abits
    Community Member

This is a family membership via Eero Plus. This is a family member's iPad.

The problem is limited to this older iPad / iOS version / 1password version. All of our recent iOS devices work fine, for my sign in and for the other family member's.

Does 1password 6 support "Add Existing Account" of this type?

• @jack4abits

1Password 6 does not support modern 1Password accounts, no:

System requirements for 1Password

I'm sorry about that.

Ben

• jack4abits
    jack4abits
    Community Member

Thanks Ben -- the Add Existing Account screen in 1Password 6.9.1 seemed identical to what I saw in 1Password 7 on our newer devices so I assumed accounts were supported.

Any thoughts on a workaround? The goal is sharing 1password data across devices, which we had been doing using Dropbox sync before moving to the 1Password.com family account ...

• Unfortunately at this point a newer iPad is going to be the only available solution. Our development team is looking into why newer accounts cannot be used in the v6 apps, as we did not have an intentional cutoff, but I can't make any promises.

For what it's worth, that would be our recommendation regardless. iOS 9 hasn't received updates in 2+ years, which is an eternity in terms of the ever evolving threats we face in information security.

Ben

• jack4abits
    jack4abits
    Community Member

Re: iOS 9 / old iPad, true. On the other hand this is still a functional device (original Retina iPad) and we'd be sharing the same data via Dropbox if we hadn't moved to 1Password subscription.

Let me know if you hear of a solution for using newer accounts with V6.

• R0P
    R0P
    Community Member

I have the exact same problems.
    I bought a 1Password 7 licence for Windows(10) and linked it to dropbox which all worked fine.
    A couple of days ago decided to switch to a proper family account. Moved all my data on all our computers/laptops and android phones but got stuck when I wanted to transfer to the family account on our IPad4. We're running (a paid) 1Password version 6.9.1 on IOS 10.3.3 which is the latest versions our IPad4 can be upgraded to.
    Running the Scan Account Details option and scanning the barcode worked fine, but the sign-in fails with "Check Your Email and Secret Key". What I did noticed was that the sign-in address only showed the word "my" but changed to the correct address (https://my.1password.ca/) when trying to log in. Changing the sign-in address to the correct address before signing in also didn't help. I've got a feeling that there's a software bug on the login side.
    Your link mentioned above mentions that 1Password accounts are available from version 6.5.3 or later. So it should be working, right?
    We'll be very diappointed if we can't transfer the IPad to the family account. Buying a new Ipad solely for a family account is just ridiculous. So far I've been using 1Password (from version 4 onwards) with pleasure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@jack4abits: I'm not sure it's possible, but there's one thing that might work. Just keep in mind that no matter what, outdated software isn't going to get updates, so it's not going to get easier. I'll shoot you an email here shortly.

ref: FTL-27747-252

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@R0P: Outdated software not working with something newer is not a bug. 1Password 6 is not getting updates as of more than a year ago, and things change. It won't work with iOS 12 Password Autofill either, for example. There's one thing we can try, but it would serve only as a temporary workaround even if it works now. I'll shoot you an email here shortly as well.

ref: NSB-55548-715

• jack4abits
    jack4abits
    Community Member

@brenty Yes, but ... the move to a subscription model changes things a bit: "pay this monthly fee and use 1password on all your devices" ... I think this adds pressure, within reason, to support the broadest possible range of devices. And certainly to not support a less broad range than current sync methods?

• I understand your position. However, as I mentioned above:

For what it's worth, that would be our recommendation regardless. iOS 9 hasn't received updates in 2+ years, which is an eternity in terms of the ever evolving threats we face in information security.

As a security focused company we really can't recommend anything other than running the latest versions of your web browser, your operating system, and of course 1Password.

Ben

• captainjc
    captainjc
    Community Member

I would add to this that I am having this same issue (posted about it separately) with a family account, but not with a teams account. Apparently teams 1password accounts work fine with 1password 6, but family ones do not. Maybe upgrading to a teams account is the answer (though it would be more expensive).

• jack4abits
    jack4abits
    Community Member

Brent diagnosed my issue and was able to provide a workaround by using a specific sign-in server address. Working now, although YMMV and it may not be a permanent fix. Hopefully it will work until we replace this iOS 9 generation iPad ...

• We're still hopeful to find an option to make it such that newer 1Password Families accounts can be used in 1Password 6, but ultimately our recommendation would still be to upgrade.

Ben

• R0P
    R0P
    Community Member

Brent also diagnosed my issue but the workaround by using a specific sign-in server address did not work for me. Apparently the workaround works on an IOS 9.3.5 Ipad but does not work on an newer IOS 10.3.3 IPad. Still waiting for an(other) solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something that will work for everyone :)

• captainjc
    captainjc
    Community Member

@brenty would you be willing to let me try what worked for @jack4abits and @ROP ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@captainjc: Unfortunately what worked in their cases was specific to their accounts and will not work for yours. Hopefully we'll be able to find a much simpler solution that will work for everyone -- perhaps even seamlessly.

This discussion has been closed.