Standalone version 7 how to sync

Options
TzTerri
TzTerri
Community Member

I'm a 1Password user from the beginning and just paid for the Verison 7 standalone version.

My main reseason is a need web access sometimes to my info like I used to do on the older versions. I also use 1Password on my iPhone but when I was at the Apple Store getting my iPhone fixed I discovered that I was no longer able to access my info using a web browser so have now upgraded to 1Password 7 and created a server vault.

Am I correct that I should no longer use the Dropbox vault and only the server vault and when I upgraded to Version 7 all my info was migrated to the server Vault? All my info does seem to be there and my iPhone seems to be syncing with it.

As I opted for the standalone version and not the subscription version do I have unlimited use of the server vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Am I correct that I should no longer use the Dropbox vault and only the server vault and when I upgraded to Version 7 all my info was migrated to the server Vault? All my info does seem to be there and my iPhone seems to be syncing with it.

@TzTerri: Correct. 1Password.com accounts don't use any 3rd party software/services to sync data: you just sign into your account on each device to access the data you've stored in it. You can verify this by signing into your account on the website: https://start.1password.com

As I opted for the standalone version and not the subscription version do I have unlimited use of the server vault?

No. A "standalone" license has no online/web component. You'd need a 1Password.com membership subscription in order to access your data in a browser.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

The new version is a nice improvement over the older version but I was hoping for online access. So if I don't subscribe to also get online access what is the point of doing server sync vs Dropbox sync as they both seem to work?

If I continue to do server sync but don't pay for an online access subscription is this something I can buy if at some point I find I need it. Like if my iPhone goes missing and I don't have my Mac with me and I just need access until my iPhone is replaced? Something like I'm on vacation and my iPhone gets stolen and I just need access my info one time? Seems a waste to pay for online access subscription as I've needed it just once in many years, like this month while I was at the Apple Store getting my iPhone repaired.

I guess what I'm asking is if some months from now I suddenly need access to my info online can I buy a one-month subscription and then log in to my vault?

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

One more question.
    Is the vault catched locally so that my iPhone or mac is able to access my info if I’m someplace that I don’t have internet access?

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Duplicate deleted.

• Ben
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by "server sync." That isn't a term that we use. Could you please elaborate?

You could set up a membership and subscribe at a later time, and once you migrate your data to 1Password.com you'd have access to it via our web interface. To do that you'd need access to one of your devices that has your data on it though, so doing so "after the fact" in an emergency situation wouldn't be a feasible solution... you'd have to have done it prior to the emergency.

Regardless of how you choose to use 1Password your data is cached on each of your 1Password-enabled devices, yes.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TzTerri: I think you're focusing only on the 1Password.com web interface, and that's just one small aspect of the service. Even if you use that occasionally or never, having automatic offsite backup for the important data you save in 1Password can be a life saver: even if all your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can simply use your account credentials to sign in on a new device, and you're back in business. If 1Password itself -- all of the apps and updates -- doesn't seem to justify a few bucks a month for you personally, the convenience and peace of mind of not having to worry about backing things up yourself so you don't lose your data may. Food for thought. :)

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

server sync = 1Password.com

As I do not wish to pay for another monthly service it seems like the best option for me is to continue using Dropbox to do my syncing.

• Ben
    Options

Fair enough. :+1:

Ben

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

As a user of 1Password back from the days when it was a Mac only program I'm very disappointed in the direction that 1Password has taken. Not everyone wants or can afford yet another subscription.

I upgraded to 1Password 7 not realizing that all my info added over the past few weeks was being stored in 1Password.com and not in my Dropbox vault. So today I exported all the info from 1Password.com to my desktop. Got a message that documents could not be included, not sure what that means. Then imported all my info into my Dropbox vault but now I have over 1k in duplicates so my vault is a big mess that will require hours to clean up.

• Ben
    Options

@TzTerri

We still offer 1Password as a standalone application if desired, but we don't generally recommend it. Membership simplifies things greatly and enables us to offer things that aren't possible with a standalone setup. That said instructions on reverting from a membership to standalone can be found here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

To avoid ending up with even more duplicates you'll want to delete the current "Primary" vault before proceeding so that you end up with just a single vault (which will be called "Primary") the contents of which will match your current 1Password.com vault.

Ben

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

"Your Document items will not be copied. To add them to the items they were previously attached to, download them from your old vault and drag them to the items in your Primary vault."

Not sure which is worse. Trying to remove all duplicates or trying to find, download, and then re-add all of them after figuring out what belongs to what. I have a lot of these.

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

Just found this menu item while trying to figure out what the icons next to each item means.

Seems to have cleaned up my duplicates very quickly. I'll leave them in the trash until I'm sure I don't need them.

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

Why is it showing a primary on my Mac plus a primary in DropBox? I'm only using the one in DropBox. No idea what the other primary on my Mac is or where it is located.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TzTerri - my guess is that you used Ben's instructions to create a Primary vault, then also synced your previous Dropbox vault separately - perhaps by double-clicking it from within Dropbox - to create another copy. How many items are in each "Primary" vault?

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

This has been a time wasting upgrade from hell. Mostly due to vague documentation.

This is how I ended up here...

My 3 month old iPhone Xs Max has a bad screen so I'm sitting at the Apple store bored so try to log into FaceBook, The 1Password Watch app is pretty useless so I log into 1Password.com as I seemed to remember I used to be able to view my passwords there by also logging into my Dropbox account. Not really sure about this as it has been many years since I tried this. 1Password.com wants a secret key which I don't know so after getting replacement iPhone from Apple I've got a few hours to kill while I restore everything from iTunes and go looking in 1Password for this secret key. It seems I have to upgrade to get it so I upgrade to version 7 from 6.

1Passwor7 says it is in demo mode and I see I have an option of a subscription or a one time fee so I pay the one time fee after not finding any discount for a previous user.

I find the 1Password secret key and log in and there are all my passwords so I'm happy, or so I thought, but find out I will lose access to these passwords unless I subscribe. I now have three vaults showing in 1Password. The online one, the dropbox one, and one that says on my Mac. I also realize that my iPhone 1Password app is not showing my most recent info due to 1Password saving to the online one and not the DropBox one.

After much trial and error, I figure out that my info is only being added to the online vault and the DropBox vault is not kept in sync.

Now two weeks have gone by so I merge the online one with my Dropbox one and delete the one that says on my Mac as I only want the one vault in Dropbox but when I do this it also removes the Dropbox vault.

Can't find any way in 1Password to relink my DropBox vault but discover that if I double click the vault in Dropbox it will import it. Once again I now have three vaults. Once again I delete the one that says on my Mac with the same results as that it also deletes the DropBox one.

I do a web search to find out how to sync all my vaults and find your forums and find out that it can't be done so now I have to figure out how to get my info into my DropBox one. Try doing an export but says it doesn't include documents so I import into my existing DropBox vault.

Now my vault has over 1k in duplicates so I do a Google search to see if there is an easy way to remove dups and I find Ben's instructions. Great instructions but not what I need at this point.

After spending a few hours deleting dups I get curious about the icons so look under help and don't find anything about the icons but do find the menu item to remove dups.

As far as the on my Mac vault, it was empty. I found an option to keep the Mac vault synced with my DropBox vault so checked it and now both vaults seem to have all my info. I can't seem to find the location of this Mac vault but as long as my Dropbox vault is where I'm now saving my info I'm good to go.

My Macs and drives are backed up using TimeMachine to a drive and that drive is rotated with an offsite one once a week so losing data is not a concern of mine.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Is it your intention to use a 1Password subscription membership, or to purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license? To best assist you in moving forward we'll need a clear answer to this question.

Ben

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

I already bought 1password7 stand alone

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

Here you go

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TzTerri - thanks for the confirmation.

1Passwor7 says it is in demo mode and I see I have an option of a subscription or a one time fee so I pay the one time fee after not finding any discount for a previous user.

To be clear, you paid $49.99USD, which means you received over 23% off the regular retail price of $64.99. Thank you! :)

However, if you also created a 1password.com account when you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, then we'll need to reconcile the data between your vaults. Is there any data still in your 1password.com vault that is NOT also in one of the Dropbox vaults?

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

I've got everything in my DropBox vault. I just left the online one there to see what happens to it after the demo expires but I don't care what happens to it.

Still not clear why I have Mac Vault and a Dropbox vault as I only want the DropBox one but I've discovered that deleting the Mac vault also deletes the DropBox vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TzTerri - whichever vault is in the Primary position is the main vault for 1Password for Mac. In the above screenshot you sent, that would be the top one of those two. This vault (Primary) cannot be deleted unless it is the only vault that exists. You should make sure the top "Primary" vault has all of your data, then switch to the OTHER (second) one, and delete it (Vault > Delete ___ vault). Doing this should not delete your keychain in Dropbox. Let me know how that works for you.

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

You should read through this thread.

Deleting the Mac Vault also deletes the DropBox one. I then end up with no vaults. Then I have to double click the one in DropBox to add it back it ar which time 1Password also creates an empty Mac vault in addition to the DropBox vault. Did this a few times. 1Password has an option to sync the two so I turned it on but I'm saving to the DropBox Vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TzTerri - please visit Preferences > Sync, select the second "Primary" vault -- the one with the pencil/ruler icon, in the above screenshot -- and turn OFF Dropbox sync. Then try the deletion again.

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks, that worked :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TzTerri -- great! And, is the Primary vault in your most-recent screenshot now synced via Dropbox? If so, you should be all set, with the exception of removing the 1password.com account/vaults. To do that, click "Accounts" in Preferences, select your account, and click the minus button at the bottom of the screen. That should leave you running only your single Primary vault, synced via Dropbox.

• TzTerri
    TzTerri
    Community Member
    Options

Here you go. I was going
    to remove it after it expired anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! If you're using a (Primary) local vault which is syncing with Dropbox with your license in "standalone" mode (i.e. no 1Password membership subscription account), then you're all set. Let us know if you have any other questions though. And have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.