Trouble logging in family account on iPhone 6s "Check Your Email and Secret Key"

captainjc
captainjc
Community Member
edited December 2018 in iOS

Hi there, I'm having trouble logging into my family account (still in trial mode) through the iOS app. It gives me the "Check Your Email and Secret Key" error message every time. I have scanned the QR code from my emergency kit. I have also tried entering everything manually. I am able to login to my other teams (oops said business at first) account and I was able to login to this family account on an Android phone. I've read a few forum posts saying there are custom login links for family accounts, but I can't find any info about one when I login to my account through the website. The URL it showed on Android was the same ( https://my.1password.com ) and it worked fine there. I'm out of ideas to try. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
J

1Password Version: 6.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.1.1
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• captainjc
    captainjc
    Community Member

Ok, I see in this thread that 1password accounts are not supported in 1password 6.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/98822/unable-to-add-existing-account-on-older-ipad-1password-6-9-1-on-ios-9-3-5
    I am stuck on this version of iOS/1password for this device. What does this mean? Can I downgrade 1password and sync with Dropbox or something instead? Is that possible with a family account? I am in the process of setting this up for our family, and it will need to work for a few older devices like this.

@brenty I did see you suggest "there's one thing that might work". I am curious if it did and if you could enlighten me as well since you didn't post publicly about it.

Thanks,
    J

• captainjc
    captainjc
    Community Member

Although, it seems to be only the 1password family account that's not working in iOS 6.9.1. The teams one is. I wonder if I could switch from family to teams and it would fix things?

• Hi @captainjc

1Password Teams is a fair bit more expensive than 1Password Families so I'm not sure I'd recommend that as a solution unless you really would benefit from the features 1Password Teams offers. Unfortunately we really don't currently have a solution for older devices. Our development team is looking into the possibility of making it possible to access these newer 1Password Families accounts from 1Password 6 for iOS, but I can't make any promises at this stage.

As a security focused company we can't really recommend any course of action other than running the latest versions of iOS, your web browser, and 1Password. If these devices are not capable of running iOS 12 (and thus 1Password 7) it may be time to consider upgrading them.

It is not possible to use Dropbox to sync 1Password Families vaults.

Ben

• captainjc
    captainjc
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. Yeah, for us it would be $20 a month instead of $5. Is it only family accounts that don't work? Do personal accounts work? If we were to go the route of a personal or teams account, would we be able to convert to a family account fairly easily if your development is able to make them work with 1P6 for iOS?

I get what you are saying about 1password versions and security, but it is a bit incongruous that family accounts work just fine with 1password 6 for MacOS, and that teams accounts work fine with 1P6 for iOS... that is from the outside looking in anyway. I am sure there are legitimate developmental hurdles.

Lastly, do you know what @brenty suggested in the other thread, and if it worked?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018

Is it only family accounts that don't work?

Correct.

Do personal accounts work?

Officially 1Password accounts require 1Password 7. Unofficially personal & team accounts should work in v6, for now. That is subject to change.

If we were to go the route of a personal or teams account, would we be able to convert to a family account fairly easily if your development is able to make them work with 1P6 for iOS?

Individual > 1Password Families is fairly painless if you are subscribed directly through us (not Apple). As 1Password Teams accounts are intended for business use, which is a totally different market, it isn't generally possible to switch them to other types of membership.

I get what you are saying about 1password versions and security, but it is a bit incongruous that family accounts work just fine with 1password 6 for MacOS, and that teams accounts work fine with 1P6 for iOS... that is from the outside looking in anyway.

I understand the frustration and frankly I don't really understand it either. I know development is looking into it but there may be technical hurdles that cannot be overcome. For example it would not be possible for us to release an update to 1Password 6 for iOS.

Lastly, do you know what @brenty suggested in the other thread, and if it worked?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to comment on that situation. Sorry.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.