Performance issue with 1Password 7 on macOS

Options

Comments

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

( @bundtkate @MikeT @SergeyTheAgile @Greg )

My macOS 7.2.3.BETA-5 (70203005) 1Password install continues to perform abysmally. 7.1.x (non-beta) and 7.2.x (non-beta) did the same on my macOS 10.13.6 MacBook Pro (I just upgraded from 7.1.x to 7.2.x to the beta version mentioned above in the past couple hours to test the performance problems to test the performance problems). Editing any 1Password data/item/login/etc entry causes a delay of about 15 or more (sometimes much more) seconds. I've also performed at least 2 full reboots of my system in the past hour. No change in poor behavior.

The last update, if I'm reading things correctly, on this topic thread was Oct 31. It's now Dec 6. I've been inconsistently experiencing severe performance problems since ~July 2018. The performance problems now appear significantly magnified within the last week (for me, at least).

AgileBits Team-

I appreciate all your efforts, I really do. It appears that, at least earlier in the year, the team was working hard to try to address these performance problems -- and (again) that's very appreciated. And this seems like fine software, separate from this problem.

However, this discussion thread was started in June. It's now December. (This is all assuming my root cause is the same as above--which I grant you might be a poor assumption, but my symptoms seem very similar to many of the accounts shared on this thread.)

Do you have a generally-applicable fix ready - and if not, would you agree this problem has gone on too long?

If I can be of any assistance pls let me know. Need more "support" money/subscription/something? Don't hesitate to ask. Need me to collect more data/logs, provide more context? Lemme know. Want me to talk with an engineer -- I'm more than happy. I'm a seasoned software developer, manager, techops manager, quality-assurance engineer, etc. I've been around the software-development block. How can I help?

I hope to soon better understand what's happening. Good luck with the continued efforts.

Regards,
    ~J

• MikeT
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @JohnnyUtahh,

Thanks for writing in.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, this thread is about a performance issue within the Windows version of 1Password 7. We have shipped two smaller updates with performance improvements already (7.2.580 and 7.2.581) and we've just released 7.3.602.BETA with more performance improvements.

If you are seeing an issue with the macOS version, let me know and I'll split your post to move it to our macOS forum where our macOS team can help you directly. I am not familiar with what the issues may be in there, so I can't answer your issues.

We do agree as a whole team that performance regressions are unacceptable in any shape on any platforms but I can assure you that both macOS/Windows versions have nothing in common with each other, we don't reuse code; all technologies in both versions are different. With this in mind, our macOS team will help you with this as they need to narrow down what the issue is on your specific Mac.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

@MikeT - thanks for the reply. Pls split/move/whatever my post to appropriate macOS place and reference where I should visit/read/post/etc. Thanks much.

[Separately: "we don't reuse code," (assuming you mean there's not one re-used module/line/portion of source code between Windows and macOS platforms...?) is not a good thing in my book. If your Windows and macOS code bases have zero overlap, then I'm further concerned for the long-term health of this project. Your post above suggests this non-overlap is a good thing. For long-term product and service scalability (at least well beyond this topic), there's a solid argument one can make to say it's probably not.

However, I'd be quite surprised if there's zero modules of code base shared between macOS and Windows. But alas, I digress from the current topic.]

• MikeT
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @JohnnyUtahh,

I've moved your thread to the macOS forum here. Our macOS team will follow up as soon as possible to help you.

is not a good thing in my book. If your Windows and macOS code bases have zero overlap, then I'm further concerned for the long-term health of this project..... Your post above suggests this non-overlap is a good thing. For long-term product and service scalability (at least well beyond this topic), there's a solid argument one can make to say it's probably not.

I'm not sure what makes you think that way, it is not the case at all as every program have their own requirements. For a text editor, sure a cross-platform solution may be the best option such as Visual Studio Code but Code itself isn't native and it is not as fast as the native text editors like BBEdit, TextEdit or Sublime Text. Code doesn't feel like a native macOS app either.

We have a dedicated team for each platform working with native code that integrates much deeply with the platform. For an example, macOS version supported Dark Mode, Touch ID and many other macOS exclusive features on day one when it came out, our iOS app integrated with the Password AutoFill APIs on day one as well.

We don't reuse code between each platform because each platform have their own language, tooling support that is better with its native language; Cocoa/Swift/Obj-C/Xcode on macOS and iOS, Windows with C#/WPF/.NET/Visual Studio, Java/Kotlin/Android Studio on Android and so on.

However, I'd be quite surprised if there's zero modules of code base shared between macOS and Windows. But alas, I digress from the current topic.]

We do reuse the brain that handles the 1Password extension's filling and saving but beside that, no code reused as they're all different languages.

That does not mean we do not share common specifications, we do have a list of specs that all platforms must comply with to ensure they all work correctly, safely and consistently.

• Hi @JohnnyUtahh,

To save some time, can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report from your Mac. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+forum@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT -

1. Thanks for clarifying the code-reuse stuff. Minimizing code duplication is often a good software-engineering practice. You're additional info is helpful, thanks. With that, I propose we end this part of the discussion. Thanks again.

2. I'll advise when I've emailed you a diagnostics report. This seems helpful, thanks. I've got the ball and will post here (to this forum thread) once I've emailed per your instructions above.

~J

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT - diagnostics report emailed. Partial copy of the email header below. What's the next steps?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
    Subject: 1Password Diagnostics Report for Johnny Utahh
    Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 22:20:08 -0600
    To: support+forum@1Password.com
    [...]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JohnnyUtahh: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: YUL-66148-376

• timlockridge
    timlockridge
    Community Member
    Options

I too have seen a significant performance decrease on Mac OS over the past four or five months. I routinely have problems where I invoke the 1password keystroke and the extension doesn't respond. If I mouse up to 1password Mini in the menu bar, my cursor turns into a beachball, hangs for a bit, and then eventually the browser extension responds.

Would it be helpful if I sent a diagnostic report as well?

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - thanks. Is there any means to accelerate this process of investigation + fix? 1Password is now effectively dragging my entire business down - because it's dragging me down. I use it 30+ times a day, and each time I log into a site, or even worse, make an edit, I can spend 20 minutes of dealing with the issues. It's horrible. Pls... help? How much money do you need to justify a top-level engineer focus on this? I'm very interested to figure out how to accelerate.

(I've not seen a human email reply from my diagnostics submission last night. Pls advise?)

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @MikeT - how about if I completely remove all (and I mean all) files (executables, data, preferences, browser plugins... EVERYTHING related to 1Password) from my macOS install of 1Password, and then I do a fresh reinstall of 7.2.x? In order to get a completely-known state.

If that sounds like something productive, here's what I need from AgileBits: a complete list of all potential install files/paths/data/etc. Can you provide this?

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@timlockridge - has anyone assisted you yet? (I don't work for AgileBits, but was just wondering.)

• timlockridge
    timlockridge
    Community Member
    Options

@JohnnyUtahh nope--no response. I might submit a report via email.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@timlockridge - got it. I'll work to tag you to stay informed with my progress. In the meantime: do you know of any additional means to get support? Thus far I only see https://support.1password.com/contact , which appears to be web-form submission, and I'm guessing gets me (or us) no further. I do recommend submitting per @MikeT's directions here.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Update: I just timed a scenario, and moving item-entry selection across 3 items and then requesting "edit mode" (with Cmd-E) one of the items took about 2 or more like 3 minutes (I timed it) for 1Password to respond for all these cmds. After a macOS system reboot I was able to get a similar scenario down to about 30 to 45 seconds. Still unacceptably slow but at least better. However, if history repeats itself, the same usage scenario I'm guessing will creep back up to minutes over hours/days of time without a macOS reboot.

It's now desperate times for me. I'm willing to pay AgileBits significant money to focus on this issue, if that helps them prioritize.

I'm interested in a complete re-install. And possibly installing and using (if possible) a pre-7.x version. These symptoms are simply too difficult to be productive day-to-day, and are too distracting from other important work.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

I see downloads here for various 7.x versions, but nothing for 6.x. :|
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

macOS 1Password 6.8.9 download link here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM4
    Found on the bottom-right corner/area of: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/
    A May 2018 discussion of back-revs here (may or may not be applicable):
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91012/download-1password6

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

@timlockridge - initial performance experience for 1Password 6.8.9 (above) is MUCH better. It's early though.

AgileBits folks - one particular login entry in database of entries seems particularly problematic - even though it's way faster to work with in rev 6 vs rev 7, it's still relatively (to other entries) slower in rev 6 compared to other entries (in rev 6). But note: many other login entries were terribly slow in rev 7, so let's not be succumb to the temptation that "all of our problems are solved by removing a problematic login entry" -- because I doubt that's it. Even if it was, understanding how one entry (which is just data) causes problems like this is a significant issue unto itself.

For now, I intend to:
    1. not use rev 7, and only use rev 6 for the foreseeable future.
    2. "obsolete" the above, suspected problematic login entry. (I'll make sure not to completely destroy it.)

I realizing this (focusing on getting a working system over analyzing the original problem/symptoms) might divert from "analyzing problem root cause" for AgileBits (or whatever the company/organization is called that runs 1Password), and as a fellow engineer I feel for that team. For now, my team's basic productivity is my primary concern. Hopefully we can replicate and identify the problem later so that we can effectively employ long-term solutions.

Also: AgileBits, just for the record: I do not grant you access to my data. Hopefully you can not get to it, anyway. (If you can... that's an entirely bigger problem.) You've not requested access to my data, I'm simply being clear and proactive with my messaging.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

fwiw, Here's a SWAG (silly, wild-a**ed guess): it's possibly a cache-ing or some sort of communication-between-client (on desktop at least) and server (or whatever 'cloud'-y thing/entity stores the core data) issue. Maybe rev 6 manages cached data (to/from the central network server to the client) better than rev 7. After a few mins of usage of much better experience with rev 6, this is my first "gut take," and that's where I would start hunting if I were an AgileBits engineer. But alas... I'm not. And this is ONLY an initial SWAG. ;)

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Okay, after an hour-ish of rev 6, I'm more comfortable to report: 1Password 6.8.9 is a much better experience. No performance lags. The login item mentioned above that was recently created in rev 7.x is now trashed, and I avoid it. When I "touch" it again rev 6, performance does lag in rev 6 for a few seconds (it's in the trash, so I can't edit it), but as long as I stay away from said login entry, everything seems fine.

My current guess (and I want to emphasize there's major speculation in this statement): something got messed up when creating the above login-entry (it's for OpenTable.com, fwiw) yesterday with the 1Password data-server system, 1Password7 client is poor at managing server comm and/or data caching, and things just went bad. I can later get timestamps for the updates I made to said login entry, if AgileBits is interested--pls let me know. (For now, I've spent a lot of time debugging 1Password's stuff, and I need to get to other things.)

Also, my general user experience for rev 6 is waaaaaaay better than rev 7. It's like revisiting an old friend. It's snappy and minimal and just what I want. (Add the feature where 'Cmd-|' unconditionally pulls up the browser extension pop-up dialogue window, and I'd argue that for me it's perfect.) Rev 7 on the other hand always felt laggy and non-performant (even it was not taking 3 minutes to do basic operations, as noted above), and felt somewhat feature bloated. Rev 6 was great, and then I'm guessing some "UX wizard" at AgileBits decided to make a good thing "different"... and made rev 7. I'm not a fan. Pls bring back rev-6-like capability to the mainstream, and I'll be a much-happier user.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I also suggest AgileBits take a long, hard look from the company-ownership and/or executive-management perspective and ask: why is the rev 7 release experiencing so many problems, and why did our quality-assurance/test program not proactively catch most of these problems?

Maybe that question is premature on the macOS side. (I'd still ask it if I were the CEO.) It certainly does not appear to be premature on the Windows side.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

My procedure for downgrading to 1Password 6.8.9:

1. Quit rev 7. (I did not "remove"/delete anything, for better or worse.)
    2. Install rev 6.8.9.
    3. Open and run rev 6.8.9. (Rev 6 seems to have a different client-side "storage" mechanism--it appeared to take a few seconds to resync all the recent-since-I-upgraded-from-rev-6 item entries from the server/service/cloud/whatever.)
    4. Remove Chrome, Firefox, Safari browser extensions. (I don't currently use other browsers.)
    5. Reinstall #4. Browser extensions installs here.

Rev 6 download(s) here.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Does AgileBits have a community wiki, or some other co-edited document gizmo/service - and if not, why not?

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

@timlockridge - my initial results are in: I have a much better experience with 1Password 6.8.9. Depending on your symptoms, you might want to consider downgrading and seeing if it helps you. Note: mine is NOT an official nor authoritative AgileBits directive. (I'm just a rogue user trying to make my 1Password environment usable again.)

My rev7-to-rev6 downgrade procedure, which includes download links.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

I have not seen any support-email response from AgileBits per my submission last night (details above). If said team is sending me email, know that I've not yet seen it. Pls advise here if you are indeed sending me email. Thanks, ~J.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@JohnnyUtahh Everytime you post to this thread it gets moved to the back of the queue. hth

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis - thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure what "back of the queue" means on this context (questions arise: who's queue, from what view/perspective, why do updated threads get "de-prioritized," etc?). Maybe your trying to share that I've been marked as a "bad" on the forums and all my posts have a negative connotation. Or maybe yours is a complaint (it doesn't seem like it)? Not sure. But I appreciate your post, in any case.

In general: at this point I'm simply trying to share info I've discovered for the benefit of others. I'm less immediately-needy (different from where I was this morning) for needing to solve my team's immediate problems -- as it appears that we've now done this by downgrading to 1Password 6.8.9. I have yet to see any specific technical direction or response (in email or otherwise) from AgileBits.

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

All- until I experience problems with rev 6, I may be "signing off" from the forums. I might, at some point in the future, start a separate discussion about concerns for the 1Password service reliability over the long-term future, but that's another matter. For now, it seems (hopefully!) that my team's immediate, major problems are solved. If that changes I'll revisit things. In the meantime, I'm going to be very, very "slow" to adopt 1Password upgrades in the future, until AgileBits can demonstrate a rigorous testing/quality-assurance program. (That's quite hard to do in major software projects unless one has already built both a proactively-bought-in culture and a rigorous program to do this well. Retrofitting after the fact typically yields poor results. I'm not claiming AgileBits does or does not do this well. I'll let others ask their own questions and form their own speculations.)

As such, if I seem non-respondent on these forums it's because I've moved on to other business.

Additionally: there's a significant problem with the discussion-forum post editing feature that effectively turned my repeated edits of one, single post into many posts -- definitely not my intent. I'd appreciate if someone at AgileBits could delete these spurious posts. Thanks in advance.

Regards to all, and good luck with all your 1Password development and usage!

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

(Okay, I edited a post draft several times again... and the forum software deleted my entire post again. Similar to what I describe here. A bit frustrating. Will my previous edit(s) come "back to life" again? Who knows. :-/ )

• JohnnyUtahh
    JohnnyUtahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

With my team's problem (hopefully!) solved by downgrading to rev 6, I'm signing off from the forums for now. If we run into further issues we may re-engage. In the meantime, we're going to be far "slower" to install version upgrades in the future, as we've grown suspicious (and from what we can tell, justifiably so) of the reliability of new, major-version releases.

I may or may not post a separate thread about larger, strategic matters related to 1Password, per results of this overall experience and what it might mean for the future. However, if y'all don't hear from me, it's not because I'm purposely ignoring you, it's just that I've (most likely) moved on to focus on other matters and I'm no longer following these forums. If AgileBits wants to reach me they can respond to my earlier email(s).

Regards to all, and good luck to the 1Password developers, users, and other stakeholders.
    ~J

This discussion has been closed.