To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Massive confusion with multiple accounts

Options
ewittle
ewittle
Community Member

I originally had 1password standalone. For years. Life was good. I remember those days with nostalgia.

Then my mom started having issues remembering passwords, and she lives in another state. So I thought 1Password would be a good solution. I signed her up for a subscription. Then she started to have more significant memory issues, so I needed to take over paying her bills. No problem, I added myself to her 1Password account, and now we could share access to her online stuff. Life was still good, I could clearly distinguish her 1password entries from mine.

Then I upgraded to 1password 7, and life became less fun. Somehow, there seemed to be no way to get a standalone license. So when I got 1password7 working for myself, it is now somehow linked to the subscription account I set up for my mother. Annoying, but not desperate.

I also share certain 1password entries with my wife in a separate vault. She was also using 1password standalone.

The universe imploded when I upgraded her mac, and in the process upgraded her to 1password7. Now she seems to be on a trial account somehow, and can no longer share passwords synced via a local share with me. Furthermore, she can no longer save new entries in her browser. She's unhappy. And when she's unhappy, she makes sure I am too.

I would love to share this pain with someone in technical support. Alas, it doesn't appear that this can be a private matter between two parties (myself, and AgileBits). Instead, I have to share my tale of woe with the entire Internet, in the hopes that someone will actually help. This, of course, because the e-mail I sent to support over a week ago has yet to get a response.

I generally dislike subscription software vs. purchased. I find the idea of subscription software this this level of technical support frankly ludicrous, and this from someone whose profession is building enterprise software. One can only imagine how fast my company would implode if the only support was via public forums.

Perhaps someday someone from Agile Bits will contact me.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hello @ewittle,

When you upgraded your wife to 1Password7 it sounds like she created a new membership account, which would end once the 30 day trail period ends.

If she wanted to instead have a stand alone licensed version of 1Password she can either purchase a new license for 1Password7 or she can download 1Password6 from our legacy downloads section here: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#legacy-downloads

When you upgraded yourself to 1Password7 you probably added your mothers membership account to the app instead of your own, which is why you ended up connected to her account.

If you want to set up your own account again you can purchase a new license for 1Password7 for MacOS through the app. When you open 1Password7 for MacOS for the first time (no account yet) you will see an option to purchase 1Password in the toolbar.

Licenses can be purchased from here.

We apologize for the confusion and for the delayed response.

• ewittle
    ewittle
    Community Member
    Options

First, thanks for responding.

Second, I have to admit when I clicked through the link at work (where I don't have 1Password installed on my work machine), I felt kind of stupid that I could have missed something this obvious.

Then I got home, and I don't feel stupid now, as "Purchase 1Password" is not an option in my installation. That location in the menu is occupied by "License...", which brings up a dialog box with no actions. It tells me I'm licensed through subscription, which is the problem.

I've uploaded a screenshot, which I hope works.

• ewittle
    ewittle
    Community Member
    Options

So I'm back to the question of where to go next. My preferences are:

1) To have purchased the product rather than subscribed, or
    2) If I have to subscribe, subscribe on my own account rather than my mother's.

I cannot find any way to address either at this point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ewittle: Indeed, we don't want 1Password trying to sell people licenses when they have a 1Password.com membership account. As for "where to go next", the short version would be to sign out of the account if you don't want to use that anyway. That would allow you to setup a standalone vault and purchase a license -- if you're using the version from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

At this point though, with the few details we have to go on so far, it's hard to say for certain. So I'll follow up with you via email shortly to get some more information and we'll go from there.

ref: NZJ-64294-973

• ewittle
    ewittle
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent in the support bundle to support@1password.com. Looking forward to a reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I'll follow up there shortly with next steps after reviewing it. :)

This discussion has been closed.