How to enable dark mode?

andrewlumley
andrewlumley
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I just downloaded the latest 1Password 7 beta and the release notes mention the following:

IMPROVEMENTS

• The new detail view looks significantly better in dark mode.

I searched through all of the setting within 1Password but couldn't find any mention of a dark mode.... how do you enable that? Is it automatic?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0 b5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hey @andrewlumley! Sorry about the confusion. Dark mode is a macOS feature that you can enable in System Preferences:

1. Choose  > System Preferences, then click General.
    2. Select “Use dark menu bar and Dock.”

Hope that helps!

• andrewlumley
    andrewlumley
    Community Member

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

• You bet! :+1:

• nxc
    nxc
    Community Member

Does that mean its a bug if 1Password 7 isn't displaying a dark theme when Dark Mode is enabled in macOS?

• @nxc,

No, we have not yet adopted Mojave dark mode throughout the app at this time.

• pfp
    pfp
    Community Member

is this still the case for the main app?
    The mini app looks really nice in dark mode.

• @pfp,

Yes, this is still the case. Mojave support is coming in a release after 1Password 7.1.

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member

Err...1Password like the only app I use daily that doesn't support this. Not very agile...just saying

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@tylerkessler: What are you talking about? We've had support for Mojave dark appearance since the developer beta.

1Password 7.2 for Mac: Welcome to the dark side

:naughty:

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

My apologies @brenty, glad to hear and thought it was uncharacteristic of your amazing dev team!

Before I said this crass comment 😅, I checked for updates in the menu bar and it says "Thank you for running the latest version of 1Password!" yet no dark mode UI.

After further investigation, I do have an older version running 6.8.9 (689001)....with "Include beta builds" checked. Could this be a bug in the update checker?

Either way, I'll manually update it via download, but before I do that would you like me to provide any additional details or log files to figure out why the updater isn't working correctly?

About My Install:
    1Password 6
    Version 6.8.9 (689001)
    AgileBits Store

About My Mac:
    macOS Mojave 10.14

• @tylerkessler,

Its not a bug in the update checker. 1Password 7 isn't a free update for 1Password 6, so unless you had a subscription account in your copy of 1Password 6 it wouldn't present 7 as an update for you.

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Ahh, I’m a dummy. Gotcha. I’ll just leave now with my tail between my legs. Lol. Thanks for the info @rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tylerkessler: Hey, I'm sorry for the confusion there. We just don't want people upgrading accidentally to only then find they have to pay. You can find more information on 1Password 7 in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

And we're here if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I get it. Just a complete oversight by me.

I understand that it's not easy converting the business model from local data management to cloud based subscriptions, so much nuance in both security and revenue model with stubborn legacy users like myself.

As a long-time non-subscription customer and user, I don't read the newsletters/blogs/marketing closely and have been consciously rejecting the sign-in cloud account services (and sales copy, etc.) for a while now in a personal attempt to not centralizing all my passwords and master vault/client password on the same host provider. For better or worse, it was my own personal security policy.

But! I gave in and updated my mindset around this and changed how my 1Password data is managed...damn you dark mode! 😛

From a design perspective, I recommend adding an additional sales call to action / value proposition interstitial pop-up to previous versions exactly when users click "check for updates" manually like I did on clients running version 6.X

Contextually, it would be an amazing time to understand paid subscriptions and list of value props for users like me who have been avoiding this change to how our vault data is managed and secured. Value Props like dark mode (which I know is like soooo stupidly cosmetic for a data security software/services company, lol, but it's what converted me to a subscriber), etc.

I think more importantly, it would have avoided this confusion on my end, and wouldn't feel spammy at all, just a gentle reminder to consider the subscriptions again since I can't have my dark mode update.

Separately, I'm happy to give you my money as a subscription to support on-going development, my hesitation to convert was always about me wanting to have more control by de-centralizing my most sensitive data.

Just my two cents, thanks again @rudy and @brenty.

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks for deleting my well-thought out comment. Maybe Dark Mode isn't worth centralizing my most sensitive data after all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for deleting my well-thought out comment. Maybe Dark Mode isn't worth centralizing my most sensitive data after all.

@tylerkessler: Huh??

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member

Whatever dude, I'm over it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tylerkessler: I don't even know what's happening. Can you clarify?

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member

I can relate. Have a nice day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• rudy
    edited October 2018

@tylerkessler,

Your long comment shows up here, it probably got trapped in the moderation queue of the forum software due to its length.

• tylerkessler
    tylerkessler
    Community Member

👌

• :+1: :)

Ben

• netparadigms
    netparadigms
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Can 1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store operate in dark mode?

I am running mojave on my MBP in dark mode already > just 1password is not dark and beautiful like everything else.

thx!

• @netparadigms,

Nope, 1Password 6 won't be receiving dark mode support.

1Password 7.2 is the first version to support macOS Mojave's Dark Mode.

• netparadigms
    netparadigms
    Community Member

ok thanks > I am guessing that I have to start paying repeatedly to upgrade instead of the 1 Password 6 one time Apple App Store fee that I paid for 1Pass6? Is that correct and could you also explain the upgrade steps?

Thank you for feedback, wisdom, and steps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@netparadigms: This guide will take you through upgrading to the new version:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

And if you have any questions along the way, we're here for you. :)

• netparadigms
    netparadigms
    Community Member

Hi Brenty and Rudy > thanks for your help - where is the 1 time (not repeating billing) 1Password 7 upgrade price from 1Password 6?

Thanks, can't find it anywhere on your site or on the OSX app store, all I can find is upgrading to monthly payments... not interested in paying monthly.

Thanks much team!

• @netparadigms

You can purchase a 1Password 7 license within the 1Password 7 for Mac application when downloaded from our website.

Ben

• netparadigms
    netparadigms
    Community Member

Hi Ben > how? All I see are the paying ongoing monthly choices... what am I missing? https://1password.com/sign-up/

This discussion has been closed.