Why did you change the path? Shortcuts etc. break!

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Why did you change the path for 1Password.exe from C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe to
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.602\1Password.exe?

This breaks the Start Menu entry and the dedicated key on the keyboard (5 "My Favorites" keys available on my Microsoft keyboard) I assigned to (start) 1Password, because the path can no longer be found... :(

If you keep this scheme I have to manually update them whenever you release new version? :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @XIII,

Thanks for reporting this.

We do automatically update the shortcuts for the initial 7.2 to 7.3 migration but we didn't see any issue with the default start menu entry. Is this in the All Apps list that've stopped working or the pinned icon on the start menu that you've manually added?

We do update the pinned 1Password icon on the taskbar and start menu to the new location for each update.

For your keyboard, does it let you use command line/run command? You can try to enter 1Password.exe or start 1Password.exe, Windows will automatically open it as we've registered the full path to Windows now in each 1Password update; this means you can do Windows key + R to bring up the run dialog and just enter 1Password without the full path.

Why did you change the path for 1Password.exe ...

Starting with 1Password 7.3, we now use our own in-house installer and one of the major changes we did was to install to a versioned folder for each app update. This will prevent file in use errors and false positives from anti-malware solutions, which often resulted into a damaged install requiring people to uninstall and reinstall 1Password completely. By installing to a separate folder and then uninstall the previous version once you run the new version, it'll have a much greater update experience for everyone.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Is this in the All Apps list that've stopped working or the pinned icon on the start menu that you've manually added?

The pinned icon.

Since it was not pointing in the right direction I deleted it. Now I can't pin 1Password to the Start Menu...

For your keyboard, does it let you use command line/run command? You can try to enter 1Password.exe

Yes, this works. Thanks!

• Hi @XIII,

Let's start over;

1. Can you search for 1Password in the apps list. Right-click on it to select Open file location
    2. On the the shortcut, repeat the same process; right-click to open its location

Can you tell me where it opened?

You can repeat step 1 to remove the shortcuts to 1Password and try repinning again from the Apps list.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

There's no 1Password in the apps list...

When I search for 1Password in the Windows Menu an entry "1Password (Desktop app)" is found. Nothing happens when I right-click on it. The only option is "Open".

When I right-click on the 1Password icon in the task bar (after having started 1Password) there's also no "Pin to Start" option. Options are: "Lock", "1Password for Windows desktop", "Pin to taskbar", and "Close window".

• That is unusual, can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report at support+windows@1Password.com or tell me if you see any installation errors in the report.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

No errors logged:

[2018-12-07 15:54:45.758630 +01:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:73: starter 7.3.602
    [2018-12-07 15:54:45.758630 +01:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:74: Logging to : C:\Users\XIII\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2018-12-07 15:54:45.758630 +01:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:159: Installing to: C:\Users\XIII\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.602
    [2018-12-07 15:54:48.439846 +01:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:104: Installation successful!

How can I manually get the icon back in the Start Menu?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

@MikeT, I love you & Agilebits and all, but this is a real annoying change.

There has to be a better way of doing this. I have to update my shortcuts every time 1Password is updated. I launch this using Listary or Truelaunchbar by assigned CTRL+ALT+1 shortcut to it. It's all portably done, so this is a royal wrench in my workflow since 1PW is updated automatically....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mia: Better way of doing what? What are you trying to accomplish? I'm also not sure why you'd need to update your shortcuts "every time 1Password is updated". If I'm not mistaken, there has only been one public beta of 7.3 so far.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: You should be able to bring up the Start Menu, type "1password", and then right-click it in the search results to "Pin to Start". If it's not showing up in the search results, that's a deeper Windows issue. In that case, I'd recommend reinstalling the app so that hopefully Windows doesn't lose it this time.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

You should be able to bring up the Start Menu, type "1password", and then right-click it in the search results to "Pin to Start".

I already tried that and reported that this does not help:

When I search for 1Password in the Windows Menu an entry "1Password (Desktop app)" is found. Nothing happens when I right-click on it. The only option is "Open".

I also did a re-install, which did not help (the log I posted here is from that re-install).

• Hi guys,

@mia, I will reply to your other thread.

@XIII,

That does sound like a bug with our new installer. I've been trying to reproduce it, so we can fix it.

Can you bring up File Explorer and enter the following path in the address bar: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Do you see any shortcuts to 1Password in that directory?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Can’t check now, but I’m pretty sure that’s the one I manually deleted as it was broken because the installer changed the path.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @XIII,

If you removed it manually, then it won't show up in the start menu. 1Password does update the shortcut in the start menu directory to point to the new location but only if it wasn't manually deleted.

We'll make some adjustments in the next update to recreate if it is missing.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Can I recreate it manually, or will I break the next update by doing that?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Should I wait for the stable version? How long more to wait as I am still on v7.2.581.

• Hi guys,

@XIII, if it is not too much to ask for, I would like to ask to wait a day or two as we're making more changes to our installer to be better at this and it will be great to test how it does against your current setup.

If it is, you can recreate the shortcut manually by right-clicking on 1Password.exe to drag it into the programs folder within %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

@wkleem it is up to you, we can't make that decision for you. 1Password 7.3 beta is generally stable for a beta build at the moment; we haven't seen any major regressions yet, just minor bugs that we'll be fixing soon.

There are no schedules for stable releases, we will release when the beta build is stable enough. The fastest way to ship it as a stable build is to see more more beta testers testing and reporting bugs if they see any. The holidays can have an impact on this though, so there's a good chance we may not ship this until after the new year.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I can wait.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome. Thanks for your patience. Hopefully we'll have something for you that can help in short order. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

The release notes of Beta 2 don't mention this issue. Did the fix not meet your deadline?

(I can't try it on my PC for a couple of hours)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Oh, I keep forgetting that the custom RSS service that I use to get updates (because you don't offer a feed) lags a few days behind...

This version is already installed on my machine...

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @XIII,

I suspect you just got the first beta release notes as we haven't shipped the second one yet.

We are nearly done, we're just testing our near-final internal builds at the moment just to make sure the changes to the installer works as expected. We've also added more improvements than expected but we'll get it out very soon. I'll let you know as soon as it is out.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hm, now I’m confused by “7.2.3.BETA-2”. That’s the first beta?

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPI4#v70203002

PS: thanks (in advance) for the notification when it’s ready

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @XIII,

You're looking at the 1Password for iOS page (OPI), this is the 1Password 7 for Windows page (OPW): https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6#beta

• Hi @XIII, we've just released 1Password 7.3 Beta 2, please give a try.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Oops... I was indeed confusing iOS and Windows!

I just ran the Windows installer. The shortcut did appear in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and I could (manually) pin the new 1Password entry in the Windows Start Menu to the tiles on the right. Thanks!

PS: I'm also running the latest beta of HitmanPro.Alert and this intercepts 1Password a lot. You might want to cooperate with Sophos to get this fixed?

• Hi @XIII,

Okay, one step forward.

I suspect that's due to the new digital signature we're using in 1Password 7.3 beta builds since our current one will expire in Feb next year. We'll talk to them today.

Please do report it as false positives to them, that'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

• Here's how to report the false positive:

When the HitmanPro.Alert warning appears, please click Technical details and make one or more screenshots of the shown information. Please email us these screenshots with a short explanation at support@hitmanpro.com

• Hi @XIII,

I don't think there is much we can do about HitmanPro.Alert, it is very invasive and doesn't even permit 1Password from creating a secure desktop.

We'll try to ask if they can whitelist 1Password by default but due to our deeper integration with Windows and our encryption libraries, it is going to cause false hits.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

The interceptions do not reproduce right now, but indeed I can't use the secure desktop and I was already wondering why...

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Yep, that's Hitman. I've sent them an email to see if there's a way 1Password can use Secure Desktop without any configuration within HitmanPro.

This discussion has been closed.