Vault location in Windows app?

Options

Hi all

I'm using the latest Mac and Windows versions of 1P (standalone license) and I'm worried I have misconfigured my vault. My vault is located at Dropbox which I use to keep my different 1P clients (Mac, Win, iOS) synced. I first installed and upgraded the Mac client from v6 to v7 without issues. It's the Windows client that I have reservations about. Although I do see and can make changes to my data through the Windows client, the vault is reported by the Windows app as being located "On this PC". Shouldn't the vault be reported as being located in DropBox and only the backups be kept locally, as is the case with the Mac client?

One other thing that had me worried was the fact that I created a new login today through the Windows client and when I returned home tonight, I had a notification from the Mac client that 1P had a conflicting file (band# something) in my 1Password.opvault file. I can see the new login from my Mac client but is the conflicting copy something that denotes installation problems or issues that I have to further look into?

Thank you for your time.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey, @cutter! It sounds like your vault is likely configured correctly if it's syncing. All standalone vaults are noted as "on this PC" on Windows, whether they're on Dropbox or elsewhere. If you'd like to be sure, though, open 1Password and press Ctrl + D. Hover over your vault, then click ... and select "Reveal in explorer." That will open the OPVault your vault is syncing to.

As for the conflict, that's nothing to worry about unless you are missing data. If two apps are making an edit at once or 1Password isn't sure which version of an item is newer, it will create a conflict file to preserve both. Resolution of these conflicts for Dropbox vaults isn't implemented on Windows just yet, so you'll see these files pop up on Dropbox, but they're almost always nothing to be concerned about.

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate ! It looks like everything is setup correctly after all. My vault points to the right location and I confirm that I'm not missing any data from any of my 1P clients. Thanks for the info on how Windows clients handle resolution of conflicts; I didn't know that and that had me worried there. It still remains a mystery to me why the conflicting file was created in the first place, since I'm sure that at that time only my Windows client was accessing my vault, but is seems that there's no reason for concern. Thank again!

• I'm glad to hear it, @cutter! Conflicts can be created in a number of scenarios as well – two clients making changes at once is just one example. Another could be if your Windows app is syncing in right after you made a change that needs to sync out. I can think of maybe one case I've run into where it was ever a problem though. That's not to say it will never happen, but it's rare. Conflict files are basically a "just in case" and one we hope not to need before too long. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.