Is there any way to automatically change compromised passwords?

Options

1Password reports that I have 560 Vulnerable Passwords. That's a LOT to manually change!!! I'm trying to be more secure, and getting 1Password is part of that effort, but is there any way to automatically change those passwords instead of going through them one by one???

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.390
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:automatically change passwords

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @cindypsych,

Thanks for writing in.

Unfortunately, there is no industry standard to do this, every website has a different way to change your password. The way you change your password for this forum isn't the same as changing your password on Facebook, there's no way to do it reliably and consistently. Imagine if they go wrong, you'd be locked out of your accounts with no way of knowing which password to use.

If there was, we would do it. We know some other products have a way to do this but they have to maintain their own list of sites to support it and that's just not sustainable for us to try to support millions of sites with various password requirements.

There is an attempt by Apple's Webkit/Safari team to develop a standard to help websites inform password managers as to where the change password form is. This way, if you request the password change, then 1Password could open up the page, fill in the old password and then generate a new password for you to approve to quickly save time. We'd love to do this in a future update if there's enough support by everyone (each website have to add the location of the said change password page in the root of their website, so any products can query the site for it).

• cindypsych
    cindypsych
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your answer. Any suggestions for a strategy for updating? I have so many to change - which ones to tackle first? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around doing all of them, and then I just don't bother to do any of them.

• @cindypsych: My best advice is to take a deep breath and take it in baby steps. Things like your e-mail account, if flagged, definitely should be priorities. After all, if you reset a password, the link to reset it almost always goes to your e-mail so if that account is compromised, it gives an attacker the chance to compromise quite a few more. After that, things like online banking or social media are good next projects. These have a dearth of personal information that's more important to protect than others.

Once those priorities are sorted, just take a few at a time. Set a goal to change a small number (say 3-5) each day. If you notice you need to sign in to an account that Watchtower has flagged, change that password while you're signed in. Finally, always remind yourself that you're headed in the right direction. Changing your passwords to be stronger is quite the task, but every time you change even one you're improving your security over all. You may still have quite a few to get through, but you're always better off than you were yesterday and you can absolutely get it done. :chuffed:

• cindypsych
    cindypsych
    Community Member
    Options

OK, deep breath. Thanks!

• It's no problem at all, @cindypsych! Best of luck and, if you ever need another bit of encouragement, just let me know and I'll grab some pompoms to cheer you on. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.