Migrating from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7 - Major annoyance

I would like to upgrade from 4 to 7 but there's a major annoyance preventing me from doing so.

What Happens:

When an item has a password history, the "Current Password" area lists both the actual current password and the oldest previous password, with the oldest password first.

What Should Happen:

It should list only the current password, and all previous passwords should be listed only in the "Previously Used Passwords" section. Here's an example:

1Password 4.6.2.626

1Password 7.2.581

Is there a workaround short of manually removing all the duplicated passwords?

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimgarrison,

Thank you for getting in touch! Do you open your vault in 1Password 7? If so, please try to do the following instead:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 4.

2. Choose File > Export.

3. Change the dropdown to 1PIF and select the All Items option.

4. Click Ok, give your export a name, and save it somewhere easily accessible.

5. Open and unlock 1Password 7.

6. Choose File > New Vault on this PC.

7. Give this vault name and password and choose a folder to sync it to.

8. After creating your vault, choose 1Password > Import, then select the 1PIF option.

9. Choose your new vault as the vault to import into and select the 1PIF you just created.

Once you've done this, check if your Login items properly imported with a single, correct password field.

I have also sent a reply to your email, so please check your inbox. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: VUQ-42347-744

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

I'd try that but can't without purchasing a license for version 7 as it runs in read-only mode. The first time I installed v7 I got a prompt asking if I wanted to open an existing vault or import one. I've uninstalled v7, and purged the registry of references to v7, but now when I install it just wants to open the existing vault and does not give me the prompt.

How can I COMPLETELY remove v7 so I get the open/import prompt to verify that this works?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimgarrison,

Please follow the steps in this guide to reset the local database and start over with 1Password 7 on your PC.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

That didn't work. Even after backing up and removing the 1Password4 database, v7 was still opening (read-only) the vault. I dug around and found the shadow copy of the data in %APPDATA%/Local/1password/data.

After removing THAT file, now v7 gives me a different prompt that does not allow me to import the data from a 1pif file. The only options are Sign In, Sync using folder and Sync using Dropbox. There is no option to start the program and import.

Suggestions?

• @jimgarrison: Apologies for the confusion here. You were correct to say you'd need a license to import. You'd have to create a new standalone vault in order to import from 1PIF right now – we're still working on adding some additional first run options to 1Password 7 to deal with some of these cases. Generally, this happens because the item in question was created by a fairly old version of 1Password for Windows and, while our importer was designed to handle most of these, we do still run into a few where we have some tidying to do. There are a few alternatives here, but which is easier will depend on how prevalent this problem was. I know I'm relying on your memory here so don't feel like you have to be perfect, but do you recall if this was a problem with ALL Login items when you first imported into 1Password 7, or was it only an issue with a select few?

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

The issue exists on EVERY item that has any password history. If the item only has one password and that password was never updated, then it displays correctly. If the password was ever updated in v4, then the problem described above occurs.

Are you implying that even if I import a 1PIF file instead of opening the OPVAULT, the problem will still occur?

• @jimgarrison: Not necessarily. This is due to how data was written to your vault by older versions, so how that data is written to your vault itself and how it's reflected in 1PIF aren't always going to be exactly the same. Your vault has more detail (for lack of a more accurate term) than an export since it can use data only 1Password can read whereas 1PIF is designed to move data out of 1Password and needs to be more universal.

Given this affects every item, however, I'd recommend converting to OPVault in 1Password 4 rather than letting 1Password 7 do it in this case. The alternative would be to edit and save each item in the latest version of 1Password 4, and that would probably be the more difficult task. We've got a guide to convert to OPVault here:

https://support.1password.com/cs/switch-to-opvault/

Once you've done that, you can open that OPVault in 1Password 7 and shouldn't see this issue any longer. The conversion to OPVault necessarily rewrites all of your data to the new format and should purge any old fields 1Password 7 isn't handling properly. I'd also like to take a look at what field is the problem here so we can improve the import process, but for now let's focus on getting usable data into 1Password 7 for you. Once we know this process worked, we can circle back and, if you're up for lending a hand, I can grab some example data (with personal info redacted, of course) from you so we can track down what's causing the trouble.

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

I'd recommend converting to OPVault in 1Password 4 rather than letting 1Password 7 do it in this case.

The vault in 1Password4 is already a .opvault folder. I converted to OPVault years ago.

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@bundtkate
    Your earlier response seems to imply that the problem stems from opening a prior (non-OPVault) format vault. However, the vault is already in OPVault format.

I'd really like to try out v7 but can't even try deleting the extra password field manually since the trial is completely read-only and will not let me edit an entry.

How do you suggest I proceed?

• @jimgarrison: My apologies. I was assuming you're coming from Agile Keychain as the vast majority of folks using 1Password 4 stuck with it. Given you already converted, 1Password 7 must be misreading that data in this case. Typically, these problems are conversion-related, but that's clearly not the case for you. Given that variable, I'd like to take a look at some sanitized data from an example item from 1Password 4:

1. Open 1Password 4 and select an item that exhibited this issue.
    2. Choose Help > Advanced > Copy JSON.
    3. Paste this into Notepad and edit out any personal info. Replace it with a generic placeholder like "password current" or "password last" so we can still tell what data was there, even though the data itself is gone.

Attach this to an e-mail to support+windows@1password.com and include a link to this thread. This will allow us to determine what specific thing about this previous password is giving us trouble and allow us to better come up with a solution for you. :+1:

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

@bundtkate I have just sent the requested JSON (sanitized). I ran the JSON through a prettyprinter to see the structure, and I think the cause of the issue is pretty clearly the redundant password field as you will see.

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@bundtkate Good morning, any progress on this?

A thought... it appears that the issue is with how 1P4 produces JSON and maybe not with 1P7? If 1P7 can import JSON from a file I could export the entire vault to a JSON file and then write a simple Perl or Python script to clean it up by removing the offending data... or even just clean it up manually, which would be a lot faster than having to go through all 500+ entries in the UI.

• So sorry, @jimgarrison! I was traveling yesterday evening and we released a new beta too, so I've been a bit frantic the past several hours and trying to get caught up. I did find your e-mail and you are right all around – that field is the trouble and it's 1Password 4 that's messing up here. 1Password 7 is just reading what it wrote.

That said, if you import your OPVault rather than opening it normally in 1Password 7, that will repair the vault and leave all fields where they genuinely belong. The gotcha there is you can't import without a license since it results in a write action, but we did test this with your sanitized data just to be sure and I can confirm that importing will work. If you're comfortable trusting me on that, you can purchase a license now, add it, clear out the bad data, then choose 1Passsword > Import and select the Agile Keychain or OPVault folder option to import and repair.

If you'd rather wait to buy until you can confirm yourself, this is apparently a rather simple fix to make 1Password 7 make this repair when you sync up, so we've got plans to add it in the next beta release. We just shipped the first 7.3 beta yesterday as I mentioned earlier, so I don't have an exact ETA on the next one just yet, but my hope is it shouldn't be too far down the road. Up to you what you prefer, of course, and if you have any questions whatever you choose, I'll be here to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.