suggestion for icons

Options

if you would eliminate the use of the "pretty" icons, you could place probably twice as much possible choices on/in the selection windows. icons like tricks are for kids. people using this product are serious about security and probably most could care less about large pretty icons.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello, @djmares and thanks for sharing your feedback. Like in any group, our customers are actually of widely varied backgrounds. Some have been serious security buffs for years and others are just starting to take control of their security often at the urging of their family members and friends. And yes, some of them are kids. :chuffed: Design is a very personal thing, and I'm sure you're not alone in valuing information density over aesthetics, but one thing we've always aimed to do is to make good security habits easy, approachable, friendly and, yes, even fun. Friendly icons are part of making that a reality. Of course, there does need to be a balance between aesthetics and accessibility of information, so if there's a particular place in 1Password where you feel information density is lacking, let me know. I'm happy to pass your feedback along to the team. Just don't expect the icons to go away entirely. 😉

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

maybe make them smaller, or better yet optional, and if optional, then you can put more items on the page. in your main display windows (the one in the center), if the icons were optional, or reduced to the size of a text line, you could easily include twice as much information. i have been using 1password since v4. and that display seemed to work fine for many years. you know what they say, if it aint broke don't fix it. yes many or your users may be new to security, but that doesn't mean they aren't serious about seeing more information per page.

• I'll admit, @djmares, I'm an icon fan. Not so much because of aesthetics, but because it makes it easier for me to see what I'm after in my item list at a glance. I know there is actual info in that list, but in contrast to your view I don't really use it – I prefer to look at my item details where I can see everything at once (and, of course, add additional data if I'd like). Again, though, my point was that it's tough to say who's right and wrong in these cases. It's about what works best for you and different perspectives are great, especially when you disagree with us. Without you, we might never find a different way of looking at things. :chuffed:

Thanks again for sharing and I'll be sure to pass your ideas along to our development team. I'd miss my rich icon if it were gone, but I think I could probably cope with it a bit smaller if I had to. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.