iPhone slow searches

Options
kappabear
kappabear
Community Member

Hi there,

Long time 1Password user, who several months ago switched from syncing via Dropbox to a Family account. Recently I’ve noticed that in the iOS version of 1Password on my iPhone, that If I enter a search term, it can take upward of s minute to return results. In the past, it never took this long either with Dropbox or the Famiky account. Sometimes it will flash the results almost instantly, but then show all items and continue the search, only to show the same results again 45 seconds later. I only have 2 vaults, totalling about 1500 items.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this unbearable slowness?

Thanks!

Comments

• wbro
    wbro
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve been having same issue for a week or so. But I’m using Dropbox sync

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kappabear

Do you have a "Primary" vault on your iPhone?

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@wbro

Thanks for the report. We are aware of an issue where search in 1Password for iOS is delayed by syncing a standalone vault, such as you are. I have heard in some cases stopping the sync with Dropbox on all devices, deleting the 1Password sync file from Dropbox, and then re-establishing sync has helped. We have reported this issue to the development team and they are investigating.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: apple-2652

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, I have a Primary and a Family vault on my iPhone 7+. I haven't been using any Dropbox vaults for months; Dropbox is not connected or Syncing 1Password on any of my computers or devices.

• Ben
    Options

@kappabear

The Primary vault is almost definitely the difficulty. Are you still actively using that vault? If so is there a reason to not instead use a vault that is part of your 1Password membeship (the Primary vault is not)?

Ben

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

Sorry, it's not "Primary" (1254 items), it's "Private". It is a vault associated with my membership, as is the "Family Share" (39 items) vault.

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha! That would be a different issue then, or the issue we originally discovered does not have the root cause that we originally suspected. Just to confirm: if you look in 1Password > Settings > Vaults the only vaults that are listed are "Private" and "Family Share"? And at the bottom of that screen there is a link for "Enable Standalone Vaults"?

Please let me know.

Ben

• wbro
    wbro
    Community Member
    Options

I have 2 vaults on my iPhone. And one of them is called "primary"

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

Yes, that's correct.

• Ben
    Options

Thank you both for that information. We'll be in touch if we need further information or diagnostics to help track this issue down. :+1:

Ben

• klstclair
    klstclair
    Community Member
    Options

Using the primary vault an having the painfully slow search issue. Syncing the vault with Mac (El Capitan) version of 1Password. The IOS screen locks before the search completes on my iPhone with the latest version of the IOS app.
    1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@klstclair: Just to clarify, where are you having the issue? This discussion is about 1Password for iOS, but you listed version information for your Mac it looks like.

• klstclair
    klstclair
    Community Member
    Options

@Brenty : I experience the slow search on the iPhone (IOS) app. It is so slow that it is not useable in IOS. I have to scroll through around a thousand entries to find what I need on the iPhone. I can start my Mac, open 1Password, search and find the information I need before the search completes on the iPhone. I mentioned the Mac app and sync since it seems to have been mentioned in previous questions. On IOS, running the most recent version of IOS and 1Password on an iPhone 7 plus. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @klstclair. Are you using a 1Password membership, or are you using 1Password standalone? If you are using a membership do you have a vault called "Primary" on any of your devices?

Ben

• ademora
    ademora
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue on both iPhone and iPad using my membership account it has got to the stage where it is almost unusable this needs fixing

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, it's being investigated.

• klstclair
    klstclair
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I have a membership account but I am not using it and it shows a status of Frozen on my iPhone since I chose to not pay for that service. I am using the product in standalone mode and synchronizing with my Mac using the 1Password WLAN server feature. There is no membership account associated with the Mac instance of 1Password. On my iPad, I have 1Password installed but it is not associated with an account. I Sync using the same method but the search is very fast. I have purchased the Pro feature set there. A bit more troubleshooting let me to discover that if I sign out of the frozen 1Password account, the search is fast now. Hope this helps. If you need additional testing, let me know.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @klstclair. I'm glad to hear that worked out for you, and thanks for the offer. :+1:

Ben

• klstclair
    klstclair
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben to answer the other part of your question, I do have a vault called "Primary" on all of my devices and this is what is sync'd between them.

• Ben
    Options

Right; makes sense if your intention is to use 1Password standalone. :+1: Thanks.

Ben

• mikepieronek
    mikepieronek
    Community Member
    Options

I have slow searching too. Am I supposed to delete my primary vault? On my Mac or on my iPhone? There are no entries in my Primary Vault.

• JRomer79
    JRomer79
    Community Member
    Options

Long time user here as well, going back many versions. I recently upgraded to 1Password 7 which I use across my Macs, iPads, and iPhone (1). Never had an issue before and my only and primary vault was supported via sync with Dropbox. Now that I have upgraded, every device except my iPhone works fine and syncs fine, but my iPhone is almost unusable and I am NOT happy.

When I search for something the results come back pretty quickly, but when I click on the item (say login), it can take 15 to 30 seconds or more to come back. Worse, often times when I now click on an item, I just get another search screen with all items displayed, and then, sometimes 15-20 seconds later, and somewhat randomly, the intended item will be displayed.

This application is nearly unusable. When I signed up, I seemingly was forced to have a Personal Vault. That item copied my existing items but ever since my phone has never been in sync with any other device and items do not sync. I know the issue has something to do with what is the vault to use, but it is way too confusing.

I have an online account setup on all devices, but I was having a tough time syncing things, so I began switching back to only using the Dropbox vault because that worked fine all the time.

But on my iPhone, my most used device, it is just pain and suffering.

You guys more or less forced us into this subscription model and required us to have online accounts and nearly forced us to have a personal vault on the service....and now I am stuck with this mess.

I hope the application does not ask for a review right now, because if it did, it would be a 0 if I could (but I cannot).

From an application that was fairly priced and stable and synced well you have migrated me to purgatory and I want out of this level of hell.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikepieronek: If you're using a 1Password membership subscription account for your data, then yes, it would be best to remove the Primary vault (Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete Vault) -- but DO NOT do that if you're NOT using a 1Password membership; that will delete your local data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JRomer79: I'm sorry to hear you're having some difficulty. I am too, and it's something we're looking into. But, to be clear, you were neither "forced" into anything, nor does this issue affect only those using 1Password a particular way; as you can see above, folks using memberships, standalone, or both are reporting that there's a delay with search, which seems to be happening for a short while after opening/switching to 1Password, probably as it's syncing in the background. One way or another, we'll get that addressed. Thanks for your feedback, and your patience while we investigate the cause.

• wbro
    wbro
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this issue? One thing I noticed the other day is that this issue only happens to me when I open the app and it starts syncing. If I wait for the sync to stop it operates as normal. I confirm its syncing by going to settings>sync. Once its done the app works as expected. I'm wondering if this is due to some sort of background sync issue and 1password is trying to sync because it couldn't when it was running in the background. I checked my settings and both dropbox and 1password have background app refresh enabled.

• Ben
    Options

The 1Password 7.2.4 for iOS update should address this. Please make sure you're running the latest version. :+1:

Ben

• wbro
    wbro
    Community Member
    Options

yep - that does it. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.