Two issues regarding moving logins from one vault to another

firemansam87
firemansam87
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have notice two issues that I think should be resolved.

While right-clicking on a login and moving it to a new vault, the next automatically selected login is the very first login in the list. This is rather annoying when you are going through moving a number of logins and end up at the top after every move, rather than the next on the list.

Also, a duplicate login is created and put into the trash of the same vault it came from. I don't know if this is a safety precaution, hence it exists or it is not intended. It is confusing when you go through your trash before deleting to ensure you haven't put anything incorrectly in there, only to think you've deleted these accidentally and then figure out that you already have the existing login.

Regards,
Samuel

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While right-clicking on a login and moving it to a new vault, the next automatically selected login is the very first login in the list. This is rather annoying when you are going through moving a number of logins and end up at the top after every move, rather than the next on the list.

@firemansam87: I'm not sure exactly how best to handle it, but I agree that it is not convenient to have the first item selected every time. Thanks for your feedback on this!

Also, a duplicate login is created and put into the trash of the same vault it came from. I don't know if this is a safety precaution, hence it exists or it is not intended. It is confusing when you go through your trash before deleting to ensure you haven't put anything incorrectly in there, only to think you've deleted these accidentally and then figure out that you already have the existing login.

No. A "duplicate login" is not created. That's the login you moved to the other vault. When you do that, a copy is created in the new location, and the original is deleted. Individual vaults are encrypted separately, so there is no way for a file in one to "commute" to another; 1Password simply automates copying and deleting it for you. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• firemansam87
    firemansam87
    Community Member

@firemansam87: I'm not sure exactly how best to handle it, but I agree that it is not convenient to have the first item selected every time. Thanks for your feedback on this!

For clarification, say for instance you have logins A-Z. You move login X to another vault, the next login selected is login A, then having you to manually go to login Y and continue.
    If you delete login X, the next login selected is login Y.

I know not many people will be going through their login list moving a number of logins like I have done. But for the best user experience I thought I would point this out.

No. A "duplicate login" is not created. That's the login you moved to the other vault. When you do that, a copy is created in the new location, and the original is deleted. Individual vaults are encrypted separately, so there is no way for a file in one to "commute" to another; 1Password simply automates copying and deleting it for you. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Understood.

And again from user experience point of view I feel having the original login sitting in the trash creates some confusion while tidying up your 1Password account. I personally would like to see such logins instantly deleted rather than copies floating around in different vaults and their trash bins.

I have been using 1Password since 2009 and this is the first time I have sat down for over a week to clean up my 1Password account, going from ~700 odd items to ~500 odd items.

I will leave it up to the 1P team to make the executive decision on what is best.

Regards,
    Samuel

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @firemansam87,

The first issue is a known bug, it will be fixed in a future update. 1Password did used to select the next item on the list when moving/copying items to another vault but it broke in the 7.2 update.

ref: opw/opw#1124

I personally would like to see such logins instantly deleted rather than copies floating around in different vaults and their trash bins.

We do not want to make any decisions that could potentially result into irreversible deletion of data.

In this case, someone could "move" it into a shared vault with family member, co-worker, or a guest, they leave the 1Password account and now that person no longer has the data if in case they need it again. They can still recover it from the Trash if they need to.

We rather be safe than sorry in these situations, a lot of people do things differently and it is very difficult to try to accommodate all of them.

• firemansam87
    firemansam87
    Community Member

The first issue is a known bug, it will be fixed in a future update. 1Password did used to select the next item on the list when moving/copying items to another vault but it broke in the 7.2 update.

ref: OPW-1124

Thank you

We do not want to make any decisions that could potentially result into irreversible deletion of data.

In this case, someone could "move" it into a shared vault with family member, co-worker, or a guest, they leave the 1Password account and now that person no longer has the data if in case they need it again. They can still recover it from the Trash if they need to.

Thank you for the valid reason. It definitely has its purpose!

Maybe rather than placing it in the trash, creating another bin called "Previously Moved Items" with a description stating its intended purpose. By creating this it would be cluttering the left hand menu even more, but would separate real trash items from these items which have a different purpose :smile:

• Hi @firemansam87,

Maybe rather than placing it in the trash, creating another bin called "Previously Moved Items" with a description stating its intended purpose. By creating this it would be cluttering the left hand menu even more, but would separate real trash items from these items which have a different purpose

That's a great suggestion, it is something we've been wondering for a while now. We also wanted to see if we can do something like "Shared items" and look at which items you're sharing with who and etc; to get like a really nice overview of what's going on.

We'll keep this in mind, we just need to figure out the UI as we want to keep it simple but not too cluttered.

• firemansam87
    firemansam87
    Community Member

You're already onto it! We'll see what the team comes up with in the future :smile: 'Till then I will use as is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your patience, and you passion for 1Password! Peace. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.