To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Deleting Primary Vault

ACDCHNL
ACDCHNL
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Memberships

On 5/18/18 Ben helped someone by stating, "Do you have other standalone vaults on your Mac? The Primary vault must be the last deleted standalone vault, so having others may explain why the option to delete it is greyed out." Why isn't this critical information in your procedure? https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

I also find your support section impossible to navigate (find information). Instead I use Google that normally takes me directly to what I'm looking for on your support. That's how I found Ben's procedure to get rid of my 1PW6 Primary vault. Also, your glossary is very inadequate. Most of your directions read like a Russian novel with three or four names for the same thing.

On the bright side I LOVE 1PW.

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Memberhip
Referrer: forum-search:On 5/18/18 Ben helped someone by stating, "Do you have other standalone vaults on your Mac? The Primary vault must be the last deleted standalone vault, so having others may explain why the option to delete it is greyed out." Why isn't this critical information in your procedure?

Comments

• ACDCHNL
    ACDCHNL
    Community Member

You need more detail about how to remove an old standalone vault on an iPhone iOS after upgrading to 1PW7. It's easy to do this on a iPad Mini using the Mini's 1PW7 Setting section. However, there is no such option in an iPhone's iOS 1PW7 Settings. Before my fix (discussed below) I had two vaults (the Standalone and Membership) on my iPhone after upgrading to 1PW7. To remove the old Primary I had to use my iPhone's 1PW7's Settings > Advanced > Remove all data. I then relaunched 1PW on my iPhone and logged into my new membership. This reloaded my Membership vault without the old Primary standalone alone vault creating duplicate entries. I could NOT find this procedure in any of your online support material. I fixed my problem but I'm sure others are going to face a similar problem.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: Membership
    Referrer: forum-search:iPhone ios stand alone vault delete

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On 5/18/18 Ben helped someone by stating, "Do you have other standalone vaults on your Mac? The Primary vault must be the last deleted standalone vault, so having others may explain why the option to delete it is greyed out." Why isn't this critical information in your procedure? https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

@ACDCHNL: It is. Scroll down. It's in this section, entitled "Set up your other devices":

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I also find your support section impossible to navigate (find information). Instead I use Google that normally takes me directly to what I'm looking for on your support. That's how I found Ben's procedure to get rid of my 1PW6 Primary vault. Also, your glossary is very inadequate. Most of your directions read like a Russian novel with three or four names for the same thing.

If there are specific things you think we need to change or make clearer, please let us know!

On the bright side I LOVE 1PW.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password, even if you ran into some bumps along the way. In the future, I'd encourage you to reach out if you need help. That's what we're here for, and we can easily point you in the right direction. :)

• ACDCHNL
    ACDCHNL
    Community Member

"Set up your other devices" on the following URL does NOT say that the old Primary Vault must be the last of old vaults deleted. It just says switch to primary and delete.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ACDCHNL: I'm not sure I follow. This is what I see:

1. Sign in to your new account.
    2. Choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    3. Choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault.

Are you saying that our documentation should somehow know that you have other vaults too? I'm not sure that's possible, and since it isn't common at all I think it makes sense that the documentation covers the typical scenario. And it sounds like you were able to get the help you needed from Ben. After all, that's what we're here for. Some folks have different setups, and we can assist without trying to document all the edge cases, therefore causing confusion for everyone else.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Are you saying that our documentation should somehow know that you have other vaults too?

I doubt that it is unusual for a long time user to have more than one vault. I had to find out from a forum post too that you cannot delete the Primary vault until after you have deleted all the others. It would, it think, be fairly simple to just add a sentence that says something like, If you have multiple vaults, the Primary vault cannot be deleted until after all the others have been removed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I doubt that it is unusual for a long time user to have more than one vault.

@hawkmoth: Honestly I would have thought that too, since I've been using 1Password for a long time and have more than one myself. But we see very, very few people that fall into this category. However, folks participating in discussions like these do tend to be self-selecting for a bit more tech-savvy and therefore use more advanced features like this. But even in then it isn't common.

I had to find out from a forum post too that you cannot delete the Primary vault until after you have deleted all the others. It would, it think, be fairly simple to just add a sentence that says something like, If you have multiple vaults, the Primary vault cannot be deleted until after all the others have been removed.

My concern is that we don't add unnecessary confusion for the majority of folks who that doesn't affect, but I think that's a reasonable approach — a footnote, if you will. Thanks! :)

• chucksense
    chucksense
    Community Member

My concern is that we don't add unnecessary confusion for the majority of folks who that doesn't affect, but I think that's a reasonable approach — a footnote, if you will. Thanks! :)

The footnote was not obvious as it appears to be part of the Android section, not applicable to all sections. Might want to make it stand out just a tad more. I had to find this thread to figure out how to get this done on my Mac.

I'm now unable to delete primary on the Android app. The doc says to go to "Advanced -> Delete Primary Vault" but that option doesn't appear in the menu at all. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

The footnote was not obvious as it appears to be part of the Android section, not applicable to all sections.

@chucksense: I'm not sure what you're talking about, as 1Password for Android doesn't have "secondary" vaults at all.

Might want to make it stand out just a tad more. I had to find this thread to figure out how to get this done on my Mac.

What would you suggest?

I'm now unable to delete primary on the Android app. The doc says to go to "Advanced -> Delete Primary Vault" but that option doesn't appear in the menu at all. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

I definitely have the option to delete the Primary vault in 1Password for Android Settings > Advanced. What version of 1Password for Android are you using? Do you maybe just not have a Primary vault in the app?

• DABY
    DABY
    Community Member

I have a problem that might be related.

I upgraded from a standalone version to the version 7 and I didn't delete my primary vault when prompted because I wanted to be sure my data was copied.

I was able to delete my former Primary Vault on my phone and iPad. However I can not delete it on my MacBook. When I try, it prompts me to put in the word Primary in a field to confirm but then says the Primary Vault can not be deleted.

Any thoughts?

The new Private vault on all three devices has the right data. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DABY: Do you have other local vaults besides the Primary? You could also try disabling local vaults in Preferences > Advanced. But if you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account (please verify this by signing into the website), you could reset the app and then set it up only with your account, and you'll be good to go.

As an aside, even if you'd removed the Primary vault when prompted, you'd still have local backups of that, and sync'd copies of it if you used Dropbox or iCloud. So no worries there either. Cheers! :)

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

In September I was prompted to a mandatory migration of the type of vault to a more advanced one.

As a result I have 2 vaults, one with information up until September, and another, updated one.

Of course 90% is the same, which makes it VERY confusing:

• the "primary vault" is the one I should not use
    • the "other vault" is the one I should use.

This makes me nervous, as I constantly have the feeling I'm going to mess things up.

(Note: I'm 1password 6)

How should I proceed to have only 1 vault, as a primary one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@anprieto: It seems like it would make sense to remove the not-up-to-date vault then. That will probably be an OPVault in Dropbox. Am I right? If so, leave that there, reset 1Password, drag the old AgileKeychain to your Desktop, and then set 1Password up with only the newer OPVault. Then you don't have to worry about messing things up. :)

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

OPVault in Dropbox..... I am really confused with all the different types and schemas. Really.
    I have 1password 6, so everything is with with local files and dropbox sync.
    I have solved it by:
    1) moving the old file elsewhere
    2) "resetting the app"
    3) pointing to the new one when re-configuring the app.
    It didn't take long, but 1 hr to figure it out. too complex.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

How you've setup 1Password is not a given, so I appreciate you confirming. :) Anyway, you did it, so I think it's safe to say it wasn't too complex for you. ;) Glad my suggestion helped. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.