Can't import from Dashlane

I'm trying to migrate my passwords from Dashlane. I have followed the instructions and exported as a CSV from dashlane, but on importing to 1Password I get the following error:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@paulallington

Are you able to open the exported CSV file in a spreadsheet program like Excel and see the correct rows and columns?

Or is there an errant entry which gets split into two rows?

The Dashlane CSV export is not very good, and there are several things that could go wrong with the import due to this.

• paulallington
    paulallington
    Community Member

@MrC

Yeah, they all look correct. I removed some entries at the top and it imported, but then only imported 5, there are about 1000. Is there a better way I coudl handle this?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

@paulallington ,

It is difficult to provide you with a simple answer to this. First see my comments here about the issues with Dashlane.

1Password's native Dashlane importer cannot work reliably, since the export data itself is ambiguous and unreliable. I believe Agilebits is doing a best-attempt effort here, and bailing when there are issues. So there is something about your data that is tripping up their heuristic to detect record categories and fields. I don't know if the diagnostic info they provided in the dialog you posted above identifies the issue for their debugging efforts. You may be able to identify which record or category is causing the issue, remove those, and import. This is likely going to be a divide and conquer effort on your part.

The only other way to import this data, if Agilebits is not able to assist and work around the issue, is to import via CSV. But this means you will have to split out each of the record categories from the Dashlane export, and create category-specific CSV files from them (e.g. one CSV for its Login entries, one for Credit Cards, etc.).

There are two methods to import CSV into 1Password:

1. 1Password for Windows supports only importing Logins from CSV. It has a strict column ordering requirement - see their CSV format requirement article. The column position tells 1Password what data to expect.

2. The csv converter in my converter suite supports many categories. The CSV column order does not matter, but you must add specific column labels and the data must reside within the correct column for the import to work. The labels tell the converter what data to expect in each column.

Hopefully this gives you some insight and help - feel free to ask for more info if that will help you.

Edit 2019-02-03: I've looked at the Dashlane exports yet again. The XLS export is useless. The CSV export is still broken. And the JSON export is a butchered, incomplete mess.

• paulallington
    paulallington
    Community Member

@MrC
    Thanks! I've changed the format of the CSV and imported like that, silly dashlane!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@paulallington ,

Excellent news.

Enjoy 1Password!

• htiawe
    htiawe
    Community Member

Sorry for highjacking the thread but im trying to use your converter suite, MrC, but I cant find Dashlane as one of the supported password managers. Is there a different option I should use?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@htiawe ,

The converter suite does not have a Dashlane converter, due to its export weaknesses, which I mention via a link in my comments above.

Please see my comments at that link, and the options I mention above.

I’m happy to help you, but it may require some elbow grease on your part.

• htiawe
    htiawe
    Community Member

MrC: Im ready! :)

Dashlane seems to export it like name, url, login, emailadress, empty column, password

Do i switch places of emailadress and password?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@htiawe ,

You can follow method (1) I posted above. You'll use 1Password's native CSV importer. Setup the columns in the order shown at the link in method (1). Do the edits/column reordering in a spreadsheet, and be sure to save as CSV encoded as UTF-8.

Note that you have an extra field for your Login entries - Dashlane has both an "emailaddress" and a "login". Place the correct one (most likely your "login" value) into column 3 as per the requirements mentioned in the linked articile. Place your emailaddress value after the "notes" column, and it will be imported as a custom field.

• htiawe
    htiawe
    Community Member

Thanks for the heads up!
    Im gonna give it a go and see where It lands me. :)

• htiawe
    htiawe
    Community Member

After editing the csv (which wasnt as cumbersome as i initially thought) i got it all working, thanks alot for your help. Hopefully il stick with 1password :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

That's nice news, and thanks for the status update, @htiawe .

Enjoy 1Password!

• hertg
    hertg
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

For anyone that stumples upon this thread via Google.

I just wrote a small Powershell script to convert the Dashlane JSON Export to a 1Password CSV file, as I didn't feel safe to use any third party library to handle all my passwords. I'll advise you to do the same and take a look at the scripts content before executing it against a real passwords file.

Attention
    As @MrC mentioned, Dashlane seems unable to provide a certain export formatting standard. If your Dashlane version doesn't match mine, you may run into trouble using this script. Please check your data for inconsistencies after the import.

Script
    https://gist.github.com/hertg/ebc4ccad482140e9ff57067de7897c32

What this script does
    Open the script and have a look at it, it is pretty self-explanatory.
    It will extract only the logins from your json file (credit card, addresses etc. will be ignored) and parse it into the 1password CSV format.
    As your "username" in dashlane may sometimes be the email address and sometimes a specific username, the script will copy the email over to the "username" field, if it is empty. This provides you with a well-formatted entry in 1Password for all your logins.

Steps
    1. In Dashlane go to File > Export > JSON
    2. Place the .json file in the same directory as the powershell script
    3. Open Powershell, cd into the directory and execute the Powershell script .\dashlane-to-1password.ps1
    5. You will have an export.csv file that you can import into 1Password (Choose "Other" rather than "Dashlane")

Tested with
    Dashlane: 6.1905.1
    1Password: 2019-02-18 (Import via website, therefore not really a version number)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

@hertg ,

Please see my comments about the issues with Dashlane’s exports here.

• hertg
    hertg
    Community Member

@MrC
    Oh, I see. Thats why i mentioned the Dashlane version i was using.
    My script worked seamlessly with the json from Dashlane 6.1905.1.
    I've edited my post for potential users to be more cautious.

After all, for Dashlane not being able to hold up a certain exports formatting standard is one more reason why i'm willing to migrate :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

The important thing is that you and others have a nice solution, so whatever works best!

Thanks @hertg .

Enjoy 1Password!

• donmccurdy
    donmccurdy
    Community Member

I just ran into exactly the same problem, and wrote a script to convert Dashlane's JSON into a properly-formatted CSV before finding this discussion. This may be helpful to Mac or Linux users, as a NodeJS alternative to the Powershell script above:

https://gist.github.com/donmccurdy/4f408622a72384ba110a24d9675fcd0f

In case anyone from Dashlane is reading this – problems with the browser extensions and MacOS app were the entire reason for me to switch. Getting a malformed CSV (bad rows and unescaped quotes) from Dashlane when I tried to export my data justifies the change pretty nicely.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

@donmccurdy ,

Nice. The more options, the better for all of us collectively.

As a note to others, the Dashlane exports are lossy, so regardless of how you export / convert, please take a few minutes to look through your newly imported data and compare it against your Dashlane data.

The only reason I have not created a dashlane converter is that its exports are so terrible, and have been for so many years. Perhaps I should just create a best-effort converter for users and note the issues. The general purpose of this would be to target those not on 1Password.com, or for situations where its native importer fails (the converter suite has very thorough diagnostics, which help identify any export problems).

• PhilDE
    PhilDE
    Community Member

hertg, thank you very much for the powershell script.
    I have been increasingly unsatisfied with the Dashlane experience (especially with the iOs integration) but I nearly gave up on the import problem until I found your script. My Dashlane subscription still lasts for another year but yeah - I want to change.

my Mac-Version of Dashlane wasn't even able to export a Json file but rather still exportet a CSV despite several tries with clicking on the "json export" button. Very unsatisfying.
    I then installed Dashlane on a Windows-PC, exported the JSON File and converted it with the help of your powershell script there.
    A little tinkering with the execution settings of the powershell were still necessary but I got around that (for others: search google with the error message :) )

I'm now very happy with the speed and convenience of 1PW and looking forward to continue using it!

thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, it's great to hear that you were able to get your data, and that you're enjoying 1Password! We're here if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.