Set up family member on shared computer

Options
kevanp
kevanp
Community Member

My wife and I have a family account. She uses her own password on her computer to log in to her shared vault. She has now changed her computer to one she shares with me. We both have our own user account and individual logins. But when she tries to open 1Password from her account she has to use my master password. What has gone wrong? How do I set her up to use her own password to access her own shared vault?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevanp: Are you sharing a local vault, or using a 1Password Families membership?

• kevanp
    kevanp
    Community Member
    Options

We have a conventional setup, using 1Password Families. I created a shared vault for my wife, which she then accesses on her computer, using her own password. She now wants to add another device (which happens to be her own login account on a shared computer—but it would be the same problem if it were a completely different computer). I cannot see how to authorize a new device for her. If she opens 1Password on the new computer it asks if she already has an account—but if we try and sign into our family account I have to use my master login password, and then she ends up having to use that password to open 1Password, and gets access to all vaults. In other words she is in effect logging in as me. If I go to the account set up on 1Password.com I can only see how to add a new family member, or delete her as a user. It's a complete mystery how to add another device. She also wants to use 1Password on her iPhone—and we have the same problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevanp: Just to clarify, does she have her own separate 1Password account in your 1Password Families plan, or is she also using your same Secret Key, etc. to sign in? It sounds like maybe you only setup a separate vault for her, not an account.

If she does have her own account, there is no "add a device": she just needs to use her account credentials -- Secret Key, etc. -- to sign into the app:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

• kevanp
    kevanp
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Now I'm completely confused! I subscribe to one Families plan. When my wife joined it I used the 'Invitations' button for her to be able to join the plan. She has her own log in password on her computer, and can access the shared vault that I created. She can also create her own private vault, though hasn't done that. Since she had her own log in password I assume she has what you refer to as her own 1Password account (though I find this confusing because I thought we just had the one, family, account.) When she first opens the 1Password app on the new computer it asks if she has 'used 1Password before'. She selects the 1Password.com option and it shows the URL of our family account, [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]. And the only way to join that is to enter MY Master Password.

• kevanp
    kevanp
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

After further investigation I have established that my wife does indeed have her own account, with a different secret key. It was not easy to check this, since the screen has gone on her old computer (hence the change of computer). So I have now sorted the problem out. Thanks for trying to help.

One note for your team: I do think the naming of these sub-accounts could be simplified. As I wrote, to my way of thinking my wife and I have one, family account, for which we pay one subscription. So it is confusing that she apparently has her own account. Sub-account perhaps. Also, another area of confusion: if my wife goes to Accounts in her preferences she sees her own name, Ina Pegley, and underneath the sign-in address of [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]. But if you click this link to go to the web page she is presented with a log-in dialogue showing my email address and secret key. I only just noticed that next to email address is a tiny disclosure arrow which you have to click to change the email address, and secret key, to hers. Doing this also changes the URL to my.1password.com. Surely there is a more user-friendly way of handling these different log-ins.

Anyway thanks again.
    Kevan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Now I'm completely confused!

@kevanp: Sorry. :blush:

I subscribe to one Families plan. When my wife joined it I used the 'Invitations' button for her to be able to join the plan. She has her own log in password on her computer, and can access the shared vault that I created.

That all sounds good to me!

She can also create her own private vault, though hasn't done that.

However, it's important to note that each family member has their own default "Private" vault which is only accessible to them. These cannot be removed though, and additional "Private" vaults cannot be created, only other user vaults that can be shared with some, all, or none of the other family members.

Since she had her own log in password I assume she has what you refer to as her own 1Password account (though I find this confusing because I thought we just had the one, family, account.)

Sorry for the confusion there. Each family member you invite has their own 1Password account under the family membership. That way they can each choose their own Master Password, and store personal stuff in their Private vault.

When she first opens the 1Password app on the new computer it asks if she has 'used 1Password before'. She selects the 1Password.com option and it shows the URL of our family account, [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]. And the only way to join that is to enter MY Master Password.

Then she's either using your account credentials and signing into your account*, or she's setup her own account to have the same Master Password as yours. She'll either have a completely different Secret Key than you with her own account, or, if she's using the same Secret Key you are, she's using your account.

*Account sharing isn't generally recommended, but some couples do that when they prefer to share _everything_.

After further investigation I have established that my wife does indeed have her own account, with a different secret key. It was not easy to check this, since the screen has gone on her old computer (hence the change of computer). So I have now sorted the problem out. Thanks for trying to help.

Sure thing! And just in case it helps you or anyone else in the future, you can find the Secret Key and other account information in any authorized app/browser:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

One note for your team: I do think the naming of these sub-accounts could be simplified. As I wrote, to my way of thinking my wife and I have one, family account, for which we pay one subscription. So it is confusing that she apparently has her own account. Sub-account perhaps.

You raise a good point, and it's certainly something we think about as well. I'm just not sure that "sub-account" or anything we've come up with really makes it clear to everyone either. Generally I think it's easiest to think of it in terms of a 1Password Families membership including multiple 1Password accounts for each family member though. :)

Also, another area of confusion: if my wife goes to Accounts in her preferences she sees her own name, Ina Pegley, and underneath the sign-in address of [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]. But if you click this link to go to the web page she is presented with a log-in dialogue showing my email address and secret key. I only just noticed that next to email address is a tiny disclosure arrow which you have to click to change the email address, and secret key, to hers. Doing this also changes the URL to my.1password.com. Surely there is a more user-friendly way of handling these different log-ins.

That's because she's using a browser you've already authorized with your account. If she uses her own device/browser to sign in, or selects "Sign in with another account" on yours, she can enter her own Secret Key along with her other credentials. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.