To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Question regarding account recovery

Options
secuser1021
secuser1021
Community Member

Hi, I sent an email to support over a week ago using the contact form but never heard back. I'll just post the tl;dr of my question.

Just to be clear, there's no way to recover an account without the master password AND secret key, correct? I run email off my own domain and wouldn't want any possible way of recovery/finding out account information in case of domain hijacking. Just want to make sure that the only way to get into an account is to have the master password and secret key, and that there's no other way to recover.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@secuser1021: Thanks for reaching out. I think it's important to define terms so we're on the same page.

It sounds like when you say "recovery", you really just mean signing in. For example, "there's no way to [sign in to] an account without the master password AND secret key, correct?" Yes, that is correct.

There is, however, an actual recovery process that is available in group memberships. If you've got an individual 1Password.com membership, this will not apply to you. But an admin in a family or team plan is able to put another user's account into recovery mode, which allows them (with access to their account's registered email address) to choose a new Master Password and generate a new Secret Key to regain access if they've locked themselves out (forgotten Master Password, lost Secret Key, etc.)

But again, either way, you need the correct account credentials to sign in no matter what. Account recovery (in a group plan) just allows new ones to be setup. Because email is the weak link with that, we recommend admins only put another user's account into recovery mode due to an in person request -- otherwise someone who broke into a user's email account would be able to just send a message asking for recovery; best not to grant it in that case, to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• secuser1021
    secuser1021
    Community Member
    Options

That's all I needed to know, thanks for confirming!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Glad to help. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.