1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working error constantly!

Since upgrading to Windows 7, just getting the Windows error popup constantly!!

The app in fact continues to function and be usable but this annoying pop-up is being shown constantly (once you clear it, it will be back again within a few minutes).

Wasted about 3 hours on upgrading to v7 this morning and very close to binning this load of garbage and downgrading back to v4.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled v7 to no avail.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member

Seems to only throw this error when the browser extension is installed...

The Opera browser extension that is already broken and not connecting to v7.

• @zigojacko: Given this crash seems for the moment to be related to your extension troubles, I'll direct you to my comment in that separate discussion for the moment. If you're still seeing the crash after, or if you've already done everything listed there, I actually have one more step to tack on in light of your screenshot. It looks like you're using Windows 7, which comes with an older version of the .NET framework, so I'd recommend grabbing the latest .NET from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for-windows

The only way 1Password 4 needed an updated version of .NET was if you were using a browser that required native messaging. Since Opera is Chromium-based and Chrome actually does not yet mandate native messaging, it's quite possible you weren't using it with 1Password 4, but 1Password 7 does mandate native messaging so outdated .NET could account for both your issues connecting to the extension and this crash. :+1:

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member

@bundtkate I already have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed in Windows 7 and have had for ages.

Tried everything suggested so far via forum posts and ticket emails and literally nothing works. Massively dependant on a password manager in work so if this isn't sorted in the next matter of hours, then |'ll be forced to seek an alternative provider and will be requesting a refund and cancellation of the subscription because it just simply doesn't work and has already wasted many more hours of my time than I care to give it. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I already have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed in Windows 7 and have had for ages.

@zigojacko: Did you try installing it from Microsoft like Kate told you? I've seen plenty of cases where that helped, even if it had already been installed previously.

Tried everything suggested so far via forum posts and ticket emails and literally nothing works. Massively dependant on a password manager in work so if this isn't sorted in the next matter of hours, then |'ll be forced to seek an alternative provider and will be requesting a refund and cancellation of the subscription because it just simply doesn't work and has already wasted many more hours of my time than I care to give it. Thanks.

Okay. It definitely works, or thousands of people would be having the same problem. Se we just need to figure out why it isn't working on your machine. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#XNZ-88842-157]

If you’re reading this and you are not zigojacko, this Support ID is for zigojacko only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: XNZ-88842-157

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Thanks for your reply @brenty

I went to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 like instructed but was told it was already installed and my only options were 'Repair' or 'Remove' so I went through the repair option which repairs it to original state. It's highly unlikely that the issue is with the .NET framework though because I have other programs working that also rely on this.

I've already uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted countless times. I've already sent you a diagnostics report and have a ticket open.

Nevertheless, I've just rebooted (after 'repairing' the .NET framework) again and will follow up my earlier ticket (#RLW-32831-636) email with yet another diagnostics report...

And just on this point...

Okay. It definitely works, or thousands of people would be having the same problem.

Are you aware of the tons of other users that are complaining about exactly the same issues as I am following an upgrade to v7? Because I am definitely not alone and there is definitely a fundamental problem in the upgrade process. Just because it works for lots of other users doesn't mean there isn't a problem somewhere. Many of those users probably only started out with v7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I went to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 like instructed but was told it was already installed and my only options were 'Repair' or 'Remove' so I went through the repair option which repairs it to original state. It's highly unlikely that the issue is with the .NET framework though because I have other programs working that also rely on this.
    I've already uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted countless times. I've already sent you a diagnostics report and have a ticket open.
    Nevertheless, I've just rebooted (after 'repairing' the .NET framework) again and will follow up my earlier ticket (#RLW-32831-636) email with yet another diagnostics report...

Thanks for letting me know you tried that, and that you've sent diagnostics and are getting help via email.

And just on this point...

Okay. It definitely works, or thousands of people would be having the same problem.

Are you aware of the tons of other users that are complaining about exactly the same issues as I am following an upgrade to v7? Because I am definitely not alone and there is definitely a fundamental problem in the upgrade process. Just because it works for lots of other users doesn't mean there isn't a problem somewhere. Many of those users probably only started out with v7.

Certainly you have a problem. And of course some people are having issues, just as has been the case with any version of 1Password or any other software. Understandably, you don't have a clear view of the landscape from your vantage point. So, rather than debating facts that are not in your possession, I'll close this discussion in favour of the email conversation since going back and forth in multiple places just slows down response times for everyone -- including you. Then we can help you get sorted without a lot any unnecessary confusion or duplication of effort. Thanks.

ref: RLW-32831-636

This discussion has been closed.