To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Forced Upgrade? Browser Plug In stopped working

SteveKostoff
SteveKostoff
Community Member

I have been using the Brave browser for a while now. I have been using 1Password for longer - since February 2015. Brave just prompted me for a browser update, I did, and when the updated browser came back, the 1Password plug in was eliminated. I reinstalled it, but now when I try to use it, it sends me to a log in page prompting me to sign up for an account (and to try 1Password "for free" for 30 days). Is this a sneaky way to force me into a subscription service for software I already bought? I just want my plug in to work again like it did 20 minutes ago.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Same with new iMac and Chrome

1Password 7
    OS Version 10.14.2
    Sync Type: iCloud

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@SteveKostoff "Is this a sneaky way to force me into a subscription service for software I already bought?" No, it's not.

• Churna
    Churna
    Community Member

I have the same problem, Macbook Pro, OS 10.14.1, Brave version 0.57.18

Restarted Brave and my computer, no effect.

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member

If its not a 'sneaky way' to force me to into a subscription how do I actually make it work?? Right now the extension to Chrome only pops up the 'Subscription' message even though everything is set to iCloud Vault. Rebooted multiple times, re-installed 1Password multiple times, re-installed extension multiple times. Running out of ideas.

• Hey @MattAug, it sounds like you've installed 1Password X. This is our newest browser extension that is a fully functional self contained app - no need to have a desktop app installed as well. It does, however, only work with a subscription as you have to sign into your account. If you're using 1Password standalone without a subscription, you'll want to instead install the other extension. Sorry for the confusion!

In this case you'll want to install the extension from here:
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

Instead of the 1Password X extension in the section below it. Let me know if that works!

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member

Thanks for the help @Meek but that still didn't do the trick. Every time I try to fill the browser via 1password either the Application or the Browser extension I get the 'Pop Up' asking for a subscription rather than going to a login screen or filling fields.

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member

Nevermind...downloaded older version and I'm back in business. I'm a little concerned that ultimately I'll be forced to upgrade to a subscription or pick a new password vault program. @Meek

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@MattAug I'm glad to hear you're back in business. Just to clarify, did you download an older version of Brave or 1Password? I'd like to test this and see what we can do to better support Brave in the future :)

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member

Older version of 1Password. Clear that 1Password 7 was going to force me to buy a subscription over the top of my original app fee.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

But you do not need a subscription to use 1PW7, you can buy a stand-alone licence.

• danco is correct. It is possible to license 1Password 7 instead of subscribing. From the welcome screen choose the "need a license? we have those too" option.

Ben

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member

I tried several attempts of installation/re-installation/reboots/redownloads...literally dozens and could NOT get 1Password 7 to ever give me anything other than the 'Subscription Pop-Up'. I want to like and use 7 but it simply did not work for me on my configuration.

OS Mojave, Chrome

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MattAug: The "Subscription Pop-Up" you keep referring to has an option to purchase a license as well...unless you signed up for and signed into a 1Password.com account. If you setup 1Password 7 with a local vault -- no 1Password.com account -- it will show "read only" and you'll have the option to purchase the license.

• MattAug
    MattAug
    Community Member

I understand what you’re saying...I’m simply letting you know that wasn’t how it was working. I had it set to local vault and yet the pop up kept coming up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. If you've purchased a license for it and registered the app, you'll be all set then. But if you need help with something just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.