Lost MasterPassword

Options
lungrunner
lungrunner
Community Member

Trying to be good I created a complex password. I thought I wrote and typed it in correctly but something is not working. I created it on my MacOS. Now I am locked out! I have my Secret Key. I can get into 1Password on my iOS devices but even though I see login data I am being asked for my MasterPassword which is also not working on my devices. Can I reset my Masterpassword on www.agilbits.com by logging in and using my Secret Key? I have backups on TimeMachine. If I delete my data and download a new 1Password App on my MacOS X and iOS devices can I restore my data?

1Password Version: 7.2.2 (70202006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You can't get anywhere without your master password, there's no way of resetting it. That's one of the security features.

It's quite common for people to make slight mistakes in their password. Take a look at these knowledge base articles, which may help you:

My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. I had to erase my HD on my iMac yesterday. I restored from Time Machine, but 1Password did not restore. I downloaded 1Password7 to reinstall, but it is not recognizing my password--even though it is the same password on my iPhone and iPad--which both work fine. I can find no way to reset the password

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lungrunner - oof, i'm sorry for the trouble. It may be that you have more than one Master Password, one for your older standalone setup and another one you created for your 1password.com account? Could that be possible? When you signed up for 1password.com, you would've been asked to create a Master Password that could have been but wouldn't have to be the same as the one you'd been using previously with your standalone 1Password setup. Are you able to sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waterloom - there is no way to reset your Master Password; if there were, that would be a huge security hole. However, if you're using the same Master Password as you use on the same data on your iPhone and iPad, then what's different on your Mac is your data. On your iOS devices, what do you see when you tap Settings > Vaults? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

On my phone and iPad, two vaults: Personal and Primary. On my iMac, Primary only.

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

And no, I am not able to sign into my account in a browser from my iMac, or either of my iOS devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waterloom - OK. That's about what I was expecting. What this means is that you do NOT have the same Master Password on your 1password.com account as you do on the Primary (standalone) vault on your Mac and iOS devices. That's why you can't sign into 1password.com -- it's not the same Master Password.

The good news here is that you are still signed into the account in both your iOS devices. Which means that you can transfer any data you need from Personal back into Primary, and then delete the 1password.com account. After that, you can set up a new 1password.com account and transfer everything back from Primary into the (new) Personal vault...and finally delete Primary, leaving you running only your 1password.com vault(s) everywhere. The big question is: since you've kept your Primary vault around, do you have new/changed data in both places? Presumably, you copied your then-current set of data from your Primary into Personal when you created the account, but once that's done, it's recommended to remove the Primary vault, to avoid having two copies of everything, and also to avoid the potential for adding/changing data in both places. My question is: do you have data in Personal that's been changed since you created it, that is NOT reflected in Primary?

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

My primary vault is synced through the Cloud on all three devices. There are 428 items in that vault, 434 in the Personal. Is there a way to merge them?

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Correction, actually there are 862 items in both vaults. Why do I need the Personal vault? And I just printed out the Categories page for both vaults. They appear to be identical.

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

And how do I transfer items from one vault to another?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waterloom - you can certainly merge them, but you'll be left with hundreds of duplicate items which would need to be manually removed/updated. It's better if you can figure out when you created your 1password.com account, and set the sort order at the top of the item list column to "Date Modified," then transfer over any changed/updated items.

Do you need the Personal vault? It kind of depends on what you're attempting to accomplish. The Personal vault is the main (only) vault from your 1password.com account. The Primary vault is what you've used in previous versions of 1Password. Do you want to continue using the 1password.com account? Or did you want to return to using 1Password as a standalone app? If you want the former, then the vault you'd want to delete is Primary. If you want to return to standalone usage, then you'd want to delete the Personal vault (and the account).

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

I want to continue using the 1password.com account. So to clarify, I should delete the Primary vault. After that, what do I do? The Primary is being saved and synced in the Cloud. I have no idea where the Personal is being saved. Do you? I signed up for a 1Password subscription on 9/7/18. How do I view the item list to sort when I cannot log into my 1password.com account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waterloom -- no, don't delete it yet. As I mentioned, if you cannot sign into your 1password.com account in a browser, then that means you first need to:

• Transfer any data that's in Personal but NOT in Primary back into Primary. Make sure you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in Primary.
    • Delete the existing 1Password account, then create a new one.
    • Add the new account back into 1Password 7 for Mac
    • Transfer data from Primary --> Personal vault in the new account, in 1Password 7 for Mac.

We'll need to handle the account deletion via email, as we don't do that in this public forum. I've sent you a quick email to start that process. If you don't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk (the NERVE! 😉).

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

It looks like Personal and Primary are identical. Both have 862 items. The only difference is that when I click on Personal in the Settings menu, it says 434 items. The Primary says 428. I can't figure out what the difference is, because when I look at the Categories menu, both vaults have 862 items. Please advise before I delete anything irrevocably. And how would I transfer between vaults?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waterloom - please see the email I sent to you; let's keep the conversation going that way, rather than try to carry it on in two places at once. Thanks.

• waterloom
    waterloom
    Community Member
    Options

ok

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.