[1Password 7] "This website supports 2FA but you haven't enabled it"

Options
unsu
unsu
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Dear Support,

1Password 7 (Mac) shows me the message "This website supports 2FA but you haven't enabled it" but in fact the 2-factor authentication IS enabled on almost all these websites. I logged in to these websites to double check and confirm that 2FA is enabled. Looks like this feature does not work properly.

Do you know how to fix this? Is this a known issue (bug)?

Cheers
unsu

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Are you using another app than 1Password to manage 2FA for those sites? Watchtower cannot detect that. From the support page:

If you use another app to manage two-factor authentication, add a 2FA tag to prevent it from appearing in this list.

• unsu
    unsu
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

No, I do not use any app, I use those sites directly to manage 2FA. I don't understand how to add a 2FA tag

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @unsu,

Edit the Login item and you will see a field appear titled tags. You type the name of the tag you wish to add, in this case 2FA and then save.

I'm not sure I follow your statement about not using any app though. The sites 1Password should be warning you about support RFC 6238, the same approach used by Google Authenticator. For those you need a supporting app that retains the secret and generates the TOTP codes for you. It is this TOTP code that 1Password can store for you and if it is present in a Login item that also ensures you don't see that warning.

• shhhitsme
    shhhitsme
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Appreciate the clarification regarding the 2FA tags. I did as you'd instructed and I no longer see my 2FA enabled accounts listed under "Inactive 2FA" in my sidebar. However, reading your answer I did have a different question for you. Could you clarify what you meant by "It is this TOTP code 1Password can store for you?"

Are you referring to the code that allows a user to set up 2FA on an account? For example, some websites will show you this code as a QR code (this QR code contains the secret code in plain text as well) when setting up 2FA.

If this is the TOTP code that 1Password can store for me, how do I add it to 2FA accounts stored in 1Password? I tried to edit one of my logins that use 2FA and I didn't see a subheading to put this code under?

Thanks for the assistance!

• shhhitsme
    shhhitsme
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

Thank you for the 2FA tag solution. :) Worked for me.

Question for you: Where does one go to add the TOTP code when editing a login that has 2FA? For example, my Amazon account: I only see "username," "password," "website," "tags" etc when I click on "edit." Am I missing something?

Or perhaps I misunderstand what you meant?

Thanks for the clarification.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

To add 2FA, edit the relevant login, add a new field, and choose its type from the drop-down menu as One-Time Password. That will then give you the option to scan a QR code if you have one, or to enter (copy and paste as it is long and complicated) the code in plain text if you have that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shhhitsme - yep, @danco is right on: add a new field, then change the field-type to One-Time Password. Let us know if you have any questions!

• shhhitsme
    shhhitsme
    Community Member
    Options

@danco, @Lars

I see it! Thank you for the quick response. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shhhitsme - you're quite welcome! :)

• jarvisuser90
    jarvisuser90
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thank you! The provided solutions worked for me. This is a great feature that I had no idea even existed. Maybe this feature could be better documented or advertised to users.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jarvisuser90! Glad to hear this was helpful to you! Thanks for the suggestions. :)

• fiddleman
    fiddleman
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to search 1Password for accounts that have 2FA but are not enabled?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fiddleman - indeed! That's what the 2FA section of Watchtower is for.

• fiddleman
    fiddleman
    Community Member
    Options

I know that. But I have 1000 logins. Is there a way to search for them rather than scrolling through them one at a time looking for warning banners in each one separately. The advanced search capability is impressive, and allows searching for weak passwords, but I did not see a way to do this specifically. I would like to search specifically for 2FA or compromised passwords. Most of my weak passwords are for throw-away sites and I don’t really care about them. (I have over 300 of those — I’ve used 1Password a long time now). I usually try to delete them from 1Password anyway because I never visit them. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@fiddleman

If you click on the Inactive 2FA section in Watchtower it'll show you only the items for which 2FA is available but not enabled, not your entire list of items.

Ben

• fiddleman
    fiddleman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! (I'm assuming this is not available in any of the mobile apps -- I don't see it anyway).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fiddlerman - Watchtower in iOS certainly exists, but it's not as detailed as in 1Password for Mac, in the same way that iOS is not as fully-featured an operating system as macOS. There is, for example, no listing of all your inactive 2FA items, like there is in 1Password 7 for Mac.

• ChrisKnight
    ChrisKnight
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Really useful info in this thread about how to add MFA to existing password entries. It's a damn shame none of that info shows up in the built in 1Password help when I search for "2FA", "MFA", "One-Time", "multi" or anything else I could think of. I bet a lot of questions of this sort would be self-served it the relevant information was built into the apps Help files.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChrisKnight - I'm glad you found the info in this thread useful, and I'll pass along your feedback. :)

• atmosx
    atmosx
    Community Member
    Options

Hah, I just find out and I'm a long time 1Password customer! Thanks for this feature!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atmosx - :) :+1:

• wallenak
    wallenak
    Community Member
    Options

Great info - I have enabled 2FA by adding it to 1Password for my DropBox account - just like the demo on the agilebits web page. It concur with everyone else great feature - and likely misunderstood by many (like I was). However, my question for this group is - 1PW is still telling me I have not enabled it? I'd rather not add a tag just to get the warning to go away - I like that it tells me something about my PW. It is just wrong. I'm not sure what stepped I've missed. Was I wrong to presume that if is setup (per the demo) that the enabled/warning message would go away?

• Ben
    Options

@wallenak

Just to confirm -- you using 1Password to generate the TOTP codes for Dropbox? If you are you should not be seeing the warning... The TOTP field is on the same item that you are seeing the warning on?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.