How do you create a new login?

Options

Am I being completely stupid or something!? I can't even figure out how to create a new login/item in 1Password7.

Wish I never bothered updating after all this. Used to have the option to create a new Server/FTP account/Database etc etc in 1Password v4.

Can't even figure out how to do anything in v7 :/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @zigojacko: Like with 1Password 4, the best way to create a new Login item is with the 1Password extension. To create a different type of item, or if you need to create a Login manually for an app or similar, just click the + button next to the search field in 1Password 7 and select the item type you want to create. :+1:

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Whilst I am unable to get the browser extension to even work with 1Password 7 since upgrading, surely that only works for websites...?

In 1Password 4, you could manually create new records for things like servers, databases, FTP etc. Things that you don't use a browser window to connect to so therefore the browser extension is irrelevant.

That is what I was trying to figure out in the 1Password 7 desktop app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zigojacko: I'm not sure I'd agree that the 1Password extension has ever been irrelevant. Certainly you can create items irrespective of the browser, in any of the categories, but Logins are the only ones that can be filled, filling is what most people use 1Password for, and that's only truly seamless in the browser.

You can, however, right-click a login and select the "Type in window" option for almost any field. Works in most standard Windows apps. Cheers! :)

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty That doesn't make any sense to me. Regardless of the fact I don't even have a working browser extension at the moment anyway, if I did, why would I have to 'right-click a login and select type'? What login, where? A login doesn't exist.

Say we've just taken on a new hosting client. And we want to create a new server record to store the root passwords, control panel URL, IP address and any port numbers. Where do we go? How do we do that?

I actually have no idea what you've just even talked through in your post or even correlate that to the v7 desktop app (obviously I can't even try the browser extension as it doesn't work since I upgraded).

Maybe part of the problem is that everything has been over-thought and over-complicated if what should be a simple action doesn't even make any sense to one of your users? Just a suggestion...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That doesn't make any sense to me. Regardless of the fact I don't even have a working browser extension at the moment anyway, if I did, why would I have to 'right-click a login and select type'? What login, where? A login doesn't exist.

@zigojacko: You really don't have any Login items saved in 1Password at all?

Say we've just taken on a new hosting client. And we want to create a new server record to store the root passwords, control panel URL, IP address and any port numbers. Where do we go? How do we do that?

If you want to use it for filling, create a new Login item in 1Password. If you just want to store the information, you could use a Server item. Click the "+" button to create a new item in that case.

I actually have no idea what you've just even talked through in your post or even correlate that to the v7 desktop app (obviously I can't even try the browser extension as it doesn't work since I upgraded).

I was referring to the main 1Password application window:

Maybe part of the problem is that everything has been over-thought and over-complicated if what should be a simple action doesn't even make any sense to one of your users? Just a suggestion...

It's really not that complicated. See above, and let me know if you have questions. :)

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate your reply, but I am unfortunately still not getting it - but I will base my reply on your specific example scenario.

You really don't have any Login items saved in 1Password at all?

Despite the fact that I don't really know what a 'login item' is/refers to, I assume these just mean 'records' in the app. Yes, I have 750 'records' in my current vault but many of them are generated manually because they are records for non-website data.

I don't actually know if that answers your question though.

If you want to use it for filling, create a new Login item in 1Password. If you just want to store the information, you could use a Server item. Click the "+" button to create a new item in that case.

By the term 'filling', I can only assume to refer to auto-filling the login fields when you visit a website(?) But that isn't what this post is about. You seem to hit the nail on the head with this line:-

you could use a Server item. Click the "+" button to create a new item in that case.

That is exactly what I am wanting to do but HOW do I do that? Where is the '+' button? I can't see this...

EDIT

Right, don't worry, I've found it - I'm not being funny but that is so hard to find and not even obvious. I didn't even know this was here - and I would have just took a screenshot of that as this was all I was looking for...

Why wouldn't you even add this ability to the traditional application menu? You would expect to see this under the 'Item' dropdown would you not?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I apologize, as I figured you were familiar with creating Login items from using 1Password 4. No one else has asked for it as far as I know, in the two years since we first released the new app...but I agree with you: it would make sense to have "New Item" in the menu. The keyboard shortcut Ctrl N works as well. If you have questions about anything else, just let us know. :)

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member
    Options

Okay great, thank you.

• On brenty's behalf, you are most welcome, @zigojacko! I agree that an option for a new item in the item menu makes sense. Heck, we already have that on Mac. The title menu is still fairly new on Windows, though, so there's plenty of room for new options to find their home there down the road. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.