Hotkey for copying passwords does not work in 1Password 7

2»

Comments

• madsleejensen
    madsleejensen
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Just updated to 1passsword 7, when received new mac, and had quite a few issues (which im currently on support with) but just found out about this "feature", i have no clue, how you can justify changing the shortcut's behavior depending on whether or not theres a username available. and since you cant even change this behavior by modifying shortcuts or another setting, it could definitely be a deal breaker on whether to continue to use this software (which i been nothing but happy with up untill now).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @madsleejensen! Someone should be with you shortly regarding the specific issues you're having with getting upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac on your new Mac, but thank you for weighing in on this topic. Again, I can't say for certain what direction we may be going in with regard to some of the issues raised in this thread, but we'll take your feedback into account along with everyone else's. :)

ref: VYL-65867-596

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for the honest feedback.

• GreyBeard
    GreyBeard
    Community Member

Just upgraded from 6 to 7.0.7 on Mac and this is a pretty major inconvenience.

I've been storing passwords for VPS's in 1Password. To login I used to bring up 1Password mini with⌘⌥\ , search by hostname and then use ⌘↑C to copy the password and ⌘v to paste in the terminal.

It's not clear to me what fields are being counted in 1Password 7. The closest equivalent I've found is ⌘⌥\ for 1Password mini, search by hostname, → to shift focus to data pane, ↓ two or three times to select the password field, ⮐ to copy the password, ⌘v to paste in the terminal. This is not nearly as convenient as having a key combination explicitly for "Copy password"

I'll also point out that https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts-web/ still shows Shift-Command-C as a shortcut for "Copy password". Would that it were true.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @GreyBeard! Sorry for the bumpy adjustment to version 7 you've been experiencing. However, I'm a little surprised at this:

I'll also point out that https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts-web/ still shows Shift-Command-C as a shortcut for "Copy password". Would that it were true.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the reason it "still shows" that is because it's still true. If you select an item and use that keyboard shortcut, you should get a pop-up saying the password was copied to the clipboard. Is that not what's happening in your setup?

• GreyBeard
    GreyBeard
    Community Member

It's possible that we're talking past each other.

When I was running 1Password6 on MacOS I would bring up the 1Password mini application with the keyboard shortcut, enter some text to search for an entry, optionally use the up and down arrows to select the desired entry from several matches, use the Ctrl-Shift-C combination to copy the password.

Now that I'm using 1Password7 (7.0.7 specifically), I can bring up the 1Password mini application with the keyboard shortcut, enter some text to search for an entry, optionally use the up and down arrows to select from multiple matches but when I use the Ctrl-Shift-C combination I get a notification that "Second field copied to clipboard" which generally seems not to be the password. I haven't yet figured out what fields are counted and in what order. I have some entries with only username and password entries in the white highlighted area but the username is the field copied with Ctrl-Shift-C even though it appears first.

I have seen at least once the notification that "Password has been copied" but haven't figured out how to have that happen consistently.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@GreyBeard - sorry for the confusion. I did notice, however, that you appear to be using Ctrl now in your post instead of Cmd. Since you're posting in the Mac forum, I did want to point out that in case that wasn't just a brain-lapse, there is definitely a difference. Using the command ( ⌘ ) key instead of control ( ^ ) should work for you. I'm actually running the latest beta right now myself, and it's possible the devs tightened this behavior up without listing it in the changelogs, but this works reliably for me every time -- at least, on Login items. If you're using a Server or Email item, depending on fields you have filled out, I'd guess it might not work perfectly. Are you willing to check the "Include beta builds" option in Preferences > Updates?

• GreyBeard
    GreyBeard
    Community Member

Sorry, I meant Cmd, not Ctrl in the post above. (I don't think that Ctrl-Shift-C has a function on MacOS.)

I am using server items for the VPS account information.

I thought that the different item type explained the behavior differences ("second field copied" vs "password copied" notification and different data copied to clipboard) until I just found that one of my server items shows "password copied" and did in fact copy the password data. I have other server items that look similar in form to me but exhibits the "second field copied" and "copy username rather than password even though username appears to be the first field" behaviors.

Thanks for your followup

Will think about including betas.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@GreyBeard - you're correct, the different item type does indeed result in some different behavior/notifications -- and we do have an issue filed for it internally. Regarding the betas, let me be clear: if I gave you the impression that simply installing the latest beta would solve this issue for you right now, that's not the case. I just meant: fixes show up first in the beta channel, so if this is an issue that either substantially and frequently affects your workflow or just plain bugs you even if it's not that central to how you work, you'll find relief first if you're on the betas.

ref: apple-1429

• mkowske
    mkowske
    Community Member

Also want to put my vote in for Shift+Cmd+C should always and consistently copy the password. If an entry is missing the user field then this doesn't work anymore. What I'm hearing in this thread is that it is this way intentionally because there is a large amount of users who prefer it. I can't possibly imagine why anyone would benefit from having to remember which 1password entries you need to use Shift+Cmd+C to get the password and which ones you have to use Ctrl+Cmd+C. Unless you like to torture yourself I don't get it... so there is my vote!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't take votes, but if we did you were just caught trying to stuff the ballot box. :tongue:

• scato
    scato
    Community Member

I just tried installing the version 7 update, in the hopes that the copy password shortcut had been fixed. It hasn't.

So I go to the forum, to see if any progress has been made. Instead, I see support people explaining that there is no copy password shortcut, it's the copy-the-second-field shortcut... I'm disappointed.

I'm going back to version 6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scato: You may be interested in this change in version 7.2.2 beta:

If all goes well with the beta, we should have an update for everyone soon. Cheers! :)

• scato
    scato
    Community Member

Nice. Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely keep a look-out for 7.2.2 specifically ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! You're welcome to try the beta now if you wish, but yeah, otherwise it should be available to everyone before long. Cheers! :)

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

I'm evaluating 7.2.581 (Windows) and there is no Ctrl+Shift+C shortcut here.

When do you expect to have the shortcut back in the Windows version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't know. Right now we're focused on performance improvements in 7.3. All I can say is that it's on our todo list with everything else, and it is helpful to know that it's a feature you'd like us to add.

This discussion has been closed.