1Password keeps asking me to enable it in Safari

Options
BlackTiger
BlackTiger
Community Member

Hello, every so often I get the notification to enable it in Safari, but it is enabled?
I tried uninstalling everything and re-installing, but it seems to continue.
Is this a glitch or designed behaviour? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @BlackTiger! Just from your description, it's hard to say, at least not without a little more information. Can you tell me:

• what specific version of 1Password you have installed?
    • what specific version of macOS you're using?
    • what specific version of Safari you have?
    • what specific version of 1Password extension you have installed in Safari?
    • what the error message looks like (feel free to take a screenshot of what you see, if that’s easier.
    • anything else you think might be helpful in figuring out what's going on.

Thanks! :)

• Robert_M1850
    Robert_M1850
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I have exactly the same issue as BlackTiger. Ever since I upgraded from 1Password 6 to 7 I keep getting the "Enable 1Password in Safari" notifications once or twice per day even though it has already been enabled.
    My specifications are as follows:

• 1Password version: 7.2.2 (70202006)
    • macOS version: 10.14.1
    • Safari version: 12.0.1
    • 1Password extension version: 7.2.2
    • Error message looks like: Enable 1Password in Safari

I wonder whether it has to do with something that went wrong in the upgrade process from 1Password 6 to 7. In any case I have only one application of 1Password in my Applications folder.
    Hope you can help as these continuous notifications are annoying.

Thanks!

• BlackTiger
    BlackTiger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the same configurations and versions of 1Password as Robert, thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If Safari is simply not recognizing that the extension is installed and enabled (or it keeps "forgetting"), we don't have any control over that. You'd need to reboot in Recovery Mode to either repair permissions on the drive or reinstall macOS in that case.

But it's worth a shot to clear 1Password out of Safari and reinstall 1Password first:

1. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Open Safari and remove any traces of 1Password there
    4. Install a fresh copy of 1Password 7 from our website: https://1password.com/downloads/

That will help if 1Password was just damaged, but if it's Safari/macOS you'll need to go further, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to seek help from Apple.

• robotspacer
    robotspacer
    Community Member
    Options

I've been getting this message repeatedly as well. In my case it is intentionally not enabled.

• 1Password 7.2.2 (70202006)
    • Safari 12.0.1 (14606.2.104.1.1)
    • macOS 10.14.1 (18B75)

I even tried unchecking "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running", thinking that might help. But it bugged me again just now, presumably because I had 1Password itself open. I understand you're trying to help users, but the frequency of the message seems excessive, and there should be some way to tell the app I don't want to do this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robotspacer: What's not enabled?

• robotspacer
    robotspacer
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The 1Password extension for Safari. I don't need it but I've gotten multiple alerts telling me to enable it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robotspacer: Interesting. It's a key component of 1Password, and, frankly, many people only use 1Password in their browser. As far as I know, you're the only one to reach out because you don't want to use the new 1Password Safari App Extension since it was released months ago. I'm not certain it's possible for Safari to not load it, but is there a particular reason why? Keep in mind that you don't have to use it even if it's enabled; but it's much more secure than copy/paste.

• robotspacer
    robotspacer
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Sure, I understand that I can just enable it and not use it if that's the only option. I prefer not to install things I don't need, and I guess I prefer software that doesn't bother me daily about something I'm not interested in.

I use iCloud Keychain with Safari, so I mainly use 1Password for storing things that are not web site passwords. As someone who does web dev work I also use multiple browsers that are not my primary browser. I prefer to keep those in their default state and definitely wouldn't want to install the 1Password extension in all of them.

Anyway I realized I can disable all notifications for 1Password, so hopefully that solves my problem for now at least. Hope you'll consider the feedback though! Surely having some limit on how often it asks about this would be reasonable—especially if I've gone out of my way to turn off the Extension Helper option.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @robotspacer. The Safari App Extension framework is relatively new to us. There is room to improve. :) That said, you are in a very small minority here.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robotspacer: We have some changes in the beta which may help. If all goes well we'll have an update for everyone soon. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• Robert_M1850
    Robert_M1850
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

@brenty I hope the update you talk about will address the issue that I reported earlier saying that 1P keeps reminding me to "enable 1P in Safari" though it has already been enabled and also both extensions are enabled. Your suggestion to delete 1P and re-install it has unfortunately not worked. Also, deleting 1P means more than just dragging the app to the trash, as this leaves an awful lot of files that remain to be deleted. I deleted also all these files, but to no avail. So, I hope the update will resolve this issue once and for all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope the update you talk about will address the issue that I reported earlier saying that 1P keeps reminding me to "enable 1P in Safari" though it has already been enabled and also both extensions are enabled. Your suggestion to delete 1P and re-install it has unfortunately not worked.

@Robert_M1850: There's only one way to be sure. Would you be willing to try the beta? :)

Also, deleting 1P means more than just dragging the app to the trash, as this leaves an awful lot of files that remain to be deleted. I deleted also all these files, but to no avail. So, I hope the update will resolve this issue once and for all.

No. I definitely didn't tell you to do that. Deleting all of 1Password's support files and data is almost never a good idea and only very rarely suggested, for very specific reasons.

• Robert_M1850
    Robert_M1850
    Community Member
    Options

@Brenty Thanks for your reply.
    1. I prefer to wait for the final release.
    2. I agree you did not ask me to do that, but just dragging 1P to the trash and re-installing did not resolve the issue. That's why I thought that any of the remaining files might also play a role. But deleting these as well and then re-installing 1P did also not resolve the issue.
    3. In any case, apart from that ever reappearing annoying message, the 1P app seems to work fine, that's why I prefer to wait for the final release. Is an approximate release date already known?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Robert_M1850: No problem. :) I understand completely. I can't give you a date, as there's no guarantee that we won't find an issue that could necessitate a longer development cycle; but I really don't think it will be long at all. 7.2.3 isn't intended to be a big release.

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

Just for the record, I have the exact same problem. It's been going on for a week or two. I just hit the Close button. 1Password works fine, as does the extension.

• 1Password 7.2.2
    • MacOS 10.14.1
    • Safari 12.0.1
    • Safari extension 7.2.2

• Clicking "Enable..." brings you to the Safari Preferences Extensions panel, where 1Password is already installed and enabled.)
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsack: Would you be willing to try the beta, to see if that helps your case?

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member
    Options

Just for your information, I have also been experiencing this same issue for several weeks.

1Password 7.2.2
    MacOS 10.14.2
    Safari 12.0.2
    Safari extension 7.2.2

• Good morning, all. I’m sorry for the trouble with this notification. We’ve made some changes to how it works in the upcoming 7.2.3. If you’d like to try it and let us know if it solves the problem for you, that would be lovely. You can find our beta here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM7/Y

If you’ve still having trouble after the beta, please let me know.

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

I'll give it a try this evening. Thanks.

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member
    Options

I do not notice a change with the beta loaded. Still getting the notification.

• And just to verify, @davidboone , when you click the button on the notification to Enable… 1Password in Safari, it appears enabled?

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I tried the beta. Unfortunately it put me into what I sometimes call "1Password Extension Hell". It keeps telling me the extension is not there; I do the installation from the main application, then it tells me it can't find 1Password 7.

If I try to go through what has worked before, which is uninstalling the extension from Safari and reinstalling, then restarting my computer, I get this:
    That's if I try to uninstall version 7.2.2 of the extension. The one that the new beta installs identifies itself as 4.7.3.

Honestly, I absolutely love 1Password. I've even considered signing up for the family version. But every time I have to go through this dance I consider switching to another product. It's driving me crazy. If you fix anything in the next version, please let it be this!

In the meantime, I'm just going to use the web version.

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. And I have tested it several times. The notification keeps appearing.

• Well crud, @jsack, I'm sorry about that. Once 1Password is installed there isn't a separate extension to install since it comes bundled in 1Password itself. Give your computer a reboot and try it again. If it's still not working then send a diagnostic report to support+roo@1password.com so I can check it out.

@davidboone Could I ask you to do the same and send a report to support+roo@1password.com? If the change we put in place didn't help then there may be something else going on.

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

I got it working again just before you posted your comment, MrRooni. I trashed 1Password, uninstalled all the browser extensions, re-installed 1Password, restarted the machine, and reinstalled the extensions. This is the procedure I always have to go through when the extension says it can't connect to 1Password.

But your comment has me confused. Are you saying that I did not need to re-install the extensions? There is a selection under the 1Password menu in the main app to install browser extensions, and that is what I use. I am SURE that the Chrome extension was not there after I rebooted. I can't say the same for Safari - maybe it was there and all I had to do was switch it on?

In any case, this "Couldn't connect ti 1Password" problem is a continuing issue for me.

Thanks.

• In the case of Safari there's no need to install a separate extension from our website, just enable it from Safari's Preferences > Extensions. Once I get a look at your diagnostic report I should be able to help you more. When you send in the email please give me a full rundown of the steps leading up to the error, just so I can make sure I'm focusing on the right things.

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

Since I reinstalled 1Password and have it working again, I presume there is nothing to be gained by sending a diagnostics report. Let me know if that's wrong. In the meantime I will look up this thread again if it recurs.

Thanks again.

• Indeed, if something goes sideways again please send in an updated report to support+roo@1password.com. Thanks!

• minnellac
    minnellac
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to chime in on the "Enable 1Password in Safari" dialog. It pops up fairly often, and the extension is already enabled. I'm running Mojave 10.14, so apparently it isn't exclusive to the latest OS update.
    1Password 7.2.2
    MacOS 10.14
    Safari 12.0
    Safari extension 7.2.2

This discussion has been closed.