Database Backup Failed Message

AndreaM
AndreaM
Community Member

Hi there. I just got a new computer and for a bit everything was ok but then I started to get a pop-up box (and I mean all of the time!!) that says " The 1Password database could not be backed-up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more key files may be missing or invalid" Can anyone please help. I can hardly use my computer at this stage!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AndreaM: Unfortunately without some basic information you've left out it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, how did you get your 1Password data to the new computer? What exactly did you sync/copy? Thanks in advance! :)

• AndreaM
    AndreaM
    Community Member

I am using a Mac with High Sierra Version 10.12.6. I am using Password Version 3.8.22 I had been using it on a older Mac and just upgraded. When I try to launch the application and put in my master password now it gives the following message. AGDatabase Error Exception: The Encryption keys file does not exist at file://localhost/Users/.... 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys'. And then like I said above I keep getting a pop up box as well that says Database Backup Failed. The 1Password Database could not be backed up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more key files may be missing. I read the troubleshooting guide and clicked on the link to try to re-install it says that I can't so I am not really sure where to go from here and I am hysterical if I try to upgrade and buy a newer version that I will loose all of my existing data. Hard to know what to do at this stage.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AndreaM: Thank you for those details! That makes it much clearer. Indeed, part of your 1Password data is missing, either because the files are damaged, they've been deleted, or you didn't copy everything over in the first place. Do you still have 1Password on your old Mac? It would probably be best to get the data from there. 1Password 3 only supports Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion, so it would be best to move to a newer version. But let's salvage your data first. Let me know what you have to work with.

• nikjgibson
    nikjgibson
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I have the same issue having updated my Mac Mini from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.6. I am using 1Password 6 I am happy to upgrade to 1Password 7 if this will resolve my issues and it is probably time to give you guys some money as 1Password is of crucial importance to me. I also have 1Password on my laptop and iPhone. I am using iCloud for my backups and have generated an app specific password as I thought that may be the issue but am not sure where to use that.

I have a time machine backup if that helps to recover any files

• nikjgibson
    nikjgibson
    Community Member

Hi

I have rolled backward until I found a backup that did not give me the error message, then resynced and it now seems OK

• nikjgibson
    nikjgibson
    Community Member

I spoke too soon, it has now appeared again. My next step is to uninstall 1Password then reinstall from scratch

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @nikjgibson! I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing just now. Rolling back to a previous backup is often a lifesaver. But if you had to roll back to a very old backup, and you're still having the problem, then the trouble is likely somewhere else. If I were you, I'd consider restoring your most-recent backup, rather than risk losing some of the data you may have created or changed recently.

When you say "I am using iCloud for my backups," I assume you mean you are syncing your data via iCloud? Backups in standalone 1Password are actually on-device, not on iCloud or anywhere else. Do you have this 1Password data in use on any devices other than this Mac mini? Or is this the only one?

• nikjgibson
    nikjgibson
    Community Member

Hi Lars, I (also) have 1Password on my MacBook Pro and iPhone 7+ syncing via iCloud. This issue didn't arise until I upgraded my Mac Mini as a test bed to see what, if any, issues I had with High Sierra. I am very cautious about this but thought that I should fairly safe at it is on release 6! Dropbox isn't cooperating either.

The oldest backup I tried was earlier this week so not that old, but it didn't fix the issue. I have now moved to 1Password7 on all devices, with the added benefit I have now installed it on my Windows VM I use for work. That seems to have resolved the issue.

Thank you for your help

Nik

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nikjgibson - Glad to hear things have straightened out for you with the upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, but let us know if you run into any other difficulties. :)

• j1mandel
    j1mandel
    Community Member

Several days ago I started getting notifications that my 1PW backup had failed. The error message states: The 1Password Database could not be backed up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more keys files may be missing. I submitted a Diagnostic Report, but have not yet received my tracking number. Please help.

• Hi @j1mandel

My apologies -- you haven't received a support ID as we haven't received your diagnostic report. Could you please try resending it? A support ID will come to your from BitBot almost instantaniously after we receive it.

Ben

• j1mandel
    j1mandel
    Community Member

My support ID is [#ERI-56898-918].

• j1mandel
    j1mandel
    Community Member

I'm still getting Backup Failed error messages every half hour or so.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@j1mandel: Then either your file permissions are messed up, files are missing entirely, or both -- in which case 1Password couldn't even create them for you. You're a little light on the details. What did you do leading up to encountering this issue? Was there maybe an OS update or migration you did around that time?

ref: ERI-56898-918

• j1mandel
    j1mandel
    Community Member

My NEW support ID is [#RIH-14123-165]

• j1mandel
    j1mandel
    Community Member

There was an OS update.
    What files should I look for?
    What permissions?
    Joel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I'll get back to you there shortly. :)

• jzigon
    jzigon
    Community Member

Every 30 minutes or so I get an "Database Backup Failed" error message.

I'm using an iMac, running OS 10.14.3, iPassword7 v 7.2.5. There may have been an automatic OS update recently. I re-set the permissions of the iPassword Backup folder to "everyone read & write". If I invoke "create backup now" it creates a new backup immediately.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jzigon - I'm wondering whether this might be getting triggered by cruft left over from a previous installation, perhaps? Can you try this for me:

1. In your iMac's Finder, press Command Shift G

2. Paste this and press Return: ~/Library/Application Support/

3. Locate a folder called simply "1Password" -- this is from version 3, 5+ years ago. If it exists, drag it to your Mac's Trash

4. Restart your Mac

5. Download our 1Password Troubleshooting app

6. Launch it and go to the Permissions tab and click Repair Permissions

See if that changes anything. If you can't see a 1Password folder, let me know; that'll mean this likely wasn't the issue.

This discussion has been closed.