Upgraded to Mojave, 1PW extension not functioning

Options
andycap
andycap
Community Member

Just upgraded to Mojave 10.14.2 but now neither the 1PW app or the Safari toolbar icon will open and fill login details. I also downloaded and installed 1PW 7.2.2 but somewhere in the process it seemed to partly fail. Partly because the app itself opens fine and shows it's the new version. I have enabled the 1PW Extension Helper in the Security and Privacy System Preferences (Privacy-Accessibility tab) and Restarted. Safari preferences show the 1PW Extension is enabled and is version 7.2.2.

Synching seems to be with iCloud but I don't remember setting this.

Is there something else I should be enabling?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ChristophRoettger
    ChristophRoettger
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem after upgrading to macOS 10.14.2 (18C54).

1PW has had this same problem - if I remember correctly - in 2017 after an macOS upgrade as well.

Old bugs resurfacing after some time, not good.

• andycap
    andycap
    Community Member
    Options

Well this is odd. I did nothing serious other than post as above but something must have happened overnight because, a day later, all works perfectly fine!

Perhaps an iCloud sync problem, a background process catchup, one of the many Restarts I did, planets aligning? I don't wish to be silly, but the upgrade to v7.2.2 wasn't as seamless as I would expect. I would like to understand what went wrong and would be grateful if a Forum Moderator could have a look at the 1Password Troubleshooting report I've just generated and sent under separate cover. It may indicate there's something amiss.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andycap - I'm glad to hear things went well for you, eventually. Apple made some significant changes to Safari 12 in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), including a complete reworking of the extension model. version 7.2 and later include the new format, Safari App Extension, and it should work, but might require a restart or two. Glad to see everything ended up well for you. We're pretty backed up on emails right now, but one of my colleagues should be with you in the order we received your email. Thanks for your patience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChristophRoettger - I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell me a little more about what's not working correctly on your setup?

• ChristophRoettger
    ChristophRoettger
    Community Member
    Options

By trial and error, un-installing and re-installing, the problem solved itself. I noticed that the extension switched to a 7.2.2 version, and figured out that it must be handled by the macOS app now.

Why did nobody tell us up-front about the reworking of the extension model and its consequences?

You guys are far too much relying on your customers going and figuring things out by themselves. As if we had nothing else to do.

This attitude is utterly unprofessional.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Options

@ChristophRoettger - I'm sorry for the confusion. Did Apple make you aware that they changed the requirements for Safari 12 from the older .safariextz-style extensions to the new Safari App Extension format? That's where you would likely have heard about such a change first -- rather than from every single one of the developers whose apps you own, which have an extension. Glad the problem solved itself. :)

(we did indeed notify users of the change, in the release notes for version 7.2, which was the first to use the new Safari App Extension format)

• ChristophRoettger
    ChristophRoettger
    Community Member
    Options

I get your point. However, this is a make or break type of change. You knew that 1PASSWORD would stop working for at least some of your customers.
    Rather than burying this information within a lot chatter it should be clearly communicated.

• andycap
    andycap
    Community Member
    Options

Utterly unprofessional attitude? Wow, that’s a bit harsh.

Being able to call on a well staffed and responsive support team seems like a pretty good deal to me even if they might not be able to provide an immediate solution. Apple has demonstrated on many occasions that it can inflict surprising or poorly documented OS changes on us which third party developers often struggle to respond to. The new APFS file system is a good example.

Online dummy spits are sometimes entertaining and/or justified but give Lars a break. He’s taken the trouble to try and find out what ails your set up (and, if anything, what ails mine!).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChristophRoettger: We're happy to communicate. If you have any further questions, just let us know. :)

• ChristophRoettger
    ChristophRoettger
    Community Member
    Options

@andycap

No need to give Lars a break because my criticism was not at all directed towards him.

I have been a 1Password customer since the early days, over 10 years, and have been with them through thick and thin. What I meant and mean is the company attitude. They are used to customers like me, that don't give up easily, and 10 years ago that was not unusual and may have been adequate.

In 2018, if I know that an update - regardless of whether it is forced upon me by Apple or not - will likely break my app for my customers, and if I know that my customers rely on my app many times each and every day, I give them a warning, crystal clear.

Apart from my post here, I first wrote to support, four days ago, and all I have heard back so far was the autoresponder, assuring me that my mail would be answered real soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Options

@ChristophRoettger: I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your previous comments, but it doesn't sound like you're having any problems anymore. Given that you sent messages in multiple places and we were already discussing it with you here, I closed the email. I don't think it benefits anyone for us to try to have the same conversation with you in multiple places, as that can be confusing, and frankly it slows down response times for everyone -- including you. If, however, you still need something and would prefer to troubleshoot via email, that's perfectly fine and we can continue there.

ref: ZXB-78719-142

This discussion has been closed.