Couldn’t connect to 1Password

danielbecker
danielbecker
Community Member

Hi, I did a fresh installation of 1Password on a Mac running Mojave. It did recocnize my icloud data correcly and started to sync.
However, the 1Password Mini helper seems not to be working correctly. I did install the extension in Safari and Chrome. In both browsers, every time I click on the icon, it tries to connect to 1Password, opens it and then states that it couldn't connect.

How can I fix this?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @danielbecker! If you're using 1Password 7 for Mac, version 7.2 or later (which you say you are), then the older-style 4.7.3.90 extension you also say you're using will not work. Apple made substantial changes to the extension format, and we incorporated them into 7.2 and later. You'll want to visit Safari's Preferences > Extensions and make sure only the version of our extension numbered 7.2 is visible (and no other 1Password extensions), and that it's enabled. If so, quit both 1Password for Mac and Safari and restart them -- or better yet, restart your Mac altogether.

In Chrome, you'll likely need to uninstall and then re-install the 1Password extension, which can be done from our downloads page (make sure you DO use the 4.7.3.90 version there, not 1Password X). Let us know how that goes for you.

• spoulsen
    spoulsen
    Community Member

Same problem, latest extensions and latest browsers. No good. All other extensions work fine. 1Password is always flakey.

• HowMix1
    HowMix1
    Community Member

I have the same problem and when I try to install the extension, the only one I find is 4.7.3.
    WHERE DO I GET 7.2 EXTENSION???????????????????

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @spoulsen! I'm sorry for the trouble. However, "latest" doesn't really help us much, especially as updates happen frequently. Can you please give us:

• the specific version of 1Password you have installed
    • the specific version of macOS you have installed
    • the specific version of browser(s) you're using
    • the specific version of 1Password extension you have (or are having trouble with) in your browser
    • anything else you think might be of help in determining/narrowing down the issue. Particular steps to take to reproduce a "flakey" behavior, what you mean by "flakey," etc. Thanks! :)
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @HowMix1! It's difficult to say without a little more information about your specific setup, but if you're using Safari 12 and 1Password 7 for Mac version 7.2 or later, then the answer is: you don't. Apple made substantial changes to the entire extensions framework in version 12. The older, .safariextz-style extension has been formally deprecated in favor of the newer Safari App Extension format. SAEs are part of the apps themselves, which is why you can't find a separate download for it: because there is none. If that's not the issue you're having or you're using a different browser, can you give us a bit more information about what's going on? Thanks.

• HowMix1
    HowMix1
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

I am using 1Password 7.2.2
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Safari 12.0.2

The problem is extension does not work. In 1Password when I click on Install Browser Extension... it lanches a page https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers
    this allows me to choose Install link for Safari
    https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C
    this installs 4.7.3
    which we all know, does not work.

If I go to the Safari Extensions and search for 1Password, I find the 7.2.2 , BUT this not only install the 7.2.2 extension (which I still have to check on the box to get it to display in Safari) but ALSO overwrites my 1Password Application.
    Since I am a standalone license, that part does not work.
    I then have to go back to 1Password site and d/l 1Password 7 and install it again to so I can use my stanalone license.

After two (I say again 2) reboots of my computer, it now works.

Do you know what PITA means?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@HowMix1 - so, just to clarify, the 1Password SAE extension for Safari 12 is now working for you?

• HowMix1
    HowMix1
    Community Member

Yes it now works for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@HowMix1 - great! Let us know if you have any further issues, and apologies again for the difficulties. :)

• lraesly
    lraesly
    Community Member

I have a similar issue. I am running Mojave 10.14.2. Safari 12.0.2. 1Password 7
    Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits Store.

When I select Install browser extension from the 1Password app, It loads this web page:
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

When I select Safari extension it loads this page:
    https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

When I click on install, it installs 1Password 4.7.3, which doesn't work.

Please advise.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @lraesly! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell me what's actually installed in Safari's Preferences > Extensions? If it's version 7.2.2 of our extension, that's correct. Please restart your Mac. If that's not the case, can you let me know what you do see there? Thanks. :)

• lraesly
    lraesly
    Community Member

When I follow the installation steps, it sends me to this page for the safari extension:

The extension the page loads is 4.7.3.

The links in my original post show show the steps that I'm following.

For some reason, it won't send me to the correct page for the latest download, instead directing me to a 1Password v4 page.

• lraesly
    lraesly
    Community Member

I just tried this on my work machine-

Opened 1Password 7
    Selected Install Browser Extensions

This page was launched in Safari
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

I selected Safari and this page was launched

When I click install the 4.7.3 extension is loaded

It is consistent and repeatable from all of my machines.

Could you send me the correct link?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lraesly - that's still correct, because the correct extension for the browsers that still use the older-style extension is indeed obtainable from the 1password.com downloads page. However, IF you're using both macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and 1Password 7 for Mac (7.2 or later), then that means by definition you're using Safari 12 and the Safari extension is installed directly as part of the app. I can't give you a link because there isn't one. Please check what I asked you earlier - open Safari's Preferences > Extensions and let me know what you see there in terms of 1Password extensions.

• lraesly
    lraesly
    Community Member

I see 4.7.3

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lraesly - thanks for the update. Please remove the 4.7.3 extension, then restart your Mac. After it restarts, re-launch 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari, then re-visit Safari's Preferences > Extensions and let me know what you see.

• lraesly
    lraesly
    Community Member

I removed the extension, restarted my Mac, re-launched 1Password 7. There is no extension shown for 1Password under Safari->Preferences->Extensions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lraesly - please (re)start 1Password 7 for Mac. If you already did that, then please Quit Safari and Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and delete the app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then visit our downloads page and download a fresh copy of the installer and run it. Let me know how that works for you.

• lraesly
    lraesly
    Community Member

That did it. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lraesly - excellent! Glad to hear it. Let us know if you need any further assistance with anything. :)

This discussion has been closed.