After installing browser extension 1Password 7 should work without restarting 1Password.

lloydde
lloydde
Community Member

After installing browser extension 1Password 7 should work without restarting 1Password.

If that is not technically possible, then should communicate restart of 1Password is required. This restart includes restarting the status menu bar 1Password app, ie "Quit 1Password Completely" is necessary.

Env: MacBook Pro / macOS 10.14.1 (18B75) "Mojave" / 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits Store /
Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit) / Firefox 1Password extension 4.7.3.90

This is a "new user" / "first run" scenario. I experienced this symptom while setting up this new MacBook Pro. All described applications are newly installed and up-to-date.

I experienced this symptom in Safari and Chrome. I rebooted the computer to try to resolve after I thought I had completely quitted 1Password and thought that did not appear to resolve it. Rebooting resolved the symptom. After investigating the issue further, I now doubt I successfully completely quit 1Password prior to going the reboot path. As 1Password has a macOS menu bar component rebooting the computer would likely be the way most people workaround this issue.

I don't know if in Safari or Chrome, the 1Password extension icon was greyed out. I think like most people I don't have much exposure with disabled / non-functioning extensions. I was focusing on why 1Password kept prompting me to install the extension again.

Reproduction

After installing the Firefox browser extension for 1Password , the extension does not work until after 1Password has been quit.

Consider the excellent step-by-steps at https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/ which includes the following (annotated by me):

The action behavior is that the extension does not successfully enable. Worse then no communication of the experienced behavior, you are prompted to install the extension yet again:

"Quit 1Password Completely" accessed from macOS menu bar 1Password resolved this.

Hope this helps.

1Password Version: 7.2.2 (70202006)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.1 (18B75)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 restart required to use browser extension after installing

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lloydde - I'm sorry for the trouble you experienced. There's really no one-size-fits-all approach to this, since different users have different use-cases. Some are installing for the first time ever, some are overwriting previous installations, some are upgrading. Some have had 1Password in the past but removed it...but some of the library files remain behind. In general, installing 1Password 7 for Mac followed by the 1Password extension should not require a restart, which is why we don't include those instructions in the standard steps, but I appreciate you taking the time to document your experience. :)

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

I don’t see how you can say that what I experienced isn’t the general experience. This was a computer right out of the box and from what I know a standard installation. What am I missing? How do you debug the extension not starting?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lloydde - in 1Password for Mac 7.2 and later, Safari will be different from Chrome and Firefox (obviously, they are ALL different from one another, but Chrome and Firefox both still use the same 4.7.3.90 extension they've always used, whereas in 7.2 and later, we've switched the Safari extension from the older .safariextz style which has been deprecated by Apple in Safari 12 to the newer Safari App Extension format).

I don't have a brand-new Mac to test on here, and I'm not willing to reformat my hard drive just to approximate it, but in my testing just now, there was no such issue with Firefox or Chrome -- I didn't test Safari immediately. I'm not quite sure what might have gone wrong in your case, but you're correct that fully quitting 1Password requires more than just File > Quit or the key-combo ⌘Q. To Quit 1Password 7 Completely, you just type ^⌥⌘Q (or just hold down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Anything else will leave components of 1Password still running.

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

As I documented, the symptom also occurs on Safari. This was with the newer Safari App Extension format.

Also as described in my article I was using the "Quit 1Password Completely" menu.

You responses are coming across as amateurish as you are providing no technical details or the data that supports it. Why are you talking about your own computer and "not willing to reformat [your] hard drive". If you do want to try to reproduce this issue yourself, you could use another (external) drive or a macOS virtual machine.

This isn't the level and style of support and technical investigation I've come to expect from AgileBits. How can this issue be best further investigated, confirmed and isolated? For the next person that encounters this issue, where do they look for diagnostics on why the browser extensions are not successfully starting?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lloydde - there's no need to be rude. As I said, in my own testing of this issue here, no such occurrence took place, so it's a bit difficult to provide technical details of a nonexistent problem. I was merely pointing out that I did not test with a completely blank slate, new Mac (as you said you did).

Nevertheless, we'd be happy to take a look at what might be going on with your specific setup. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#AVA-15628-361]

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @lloydde only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

It really is inappropriate for you to use the phrase "difficult to provide technical details of a nonexistent problem". I've shared amble evidence of a real experience.

What was rude about my response? You disagree that in your previous comment it was inappropriate to make comments like "not willing to reformat [your] hard drive"? You don't feel like that phrase comes across as amateurish? I'd recommend re-evaluating providing responses that come across as equivalent as "it works on my machine". That is not professional. You want to create the image that you have many resources and systems available to investigate in a thoughtful way.

Thank you for sharing the link to 1Password Troubleshooting. If I have time to recreate the scenario, I'll try to use that tool, though it's "Create New Mail Message" also seems to be broken on Mojave:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@lloydde - while I appreciate you coming to our forum and telling me what's appropriate to say and not to say here, I believe we'll keep our own counsel on that issue. :)

The problem IS nonexistent for me, which is why I'm unable to provide any details. That's all I meant, and that's why I'm asking you to please provide US some details, so we can look into what might be wrong in your case.

Thank you for sharing the link to 1Password Troubleshooting. If I have time to recreate the scenario, I'll try to use that tool, though it's "Create New Mail Message" also seems to be broken on Mojave

Of course, the Troubleshooting Tool's "create new mail message" function is not "broken on Mojave"...

...but I do appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you're having trouble with it on your system. If you'd be so kind as to click the blue file icon that was created by the tool and drag it out to your Mac's desktop (instead of clicking "Create New Mail Message"), you'll be able to attach it from there to any mail message in any client you wish, and send it to us. Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

1PasswordTroubleshooting "Create new mail message..." fails with "Error Creating Email": "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail"

Env MacBook Pro / macOS 10.14.1 (18B75) "Mojave" / 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits Store
    1PasswordTroubleShooting 5.0.7

Workaround
    The text before the error message is quite helpful in telling me to "drag and drop the report icon". That workaround works successfully.

Repro: always
    Steps
    1. Launch "1PasswordTroubleshooting" by double clicking on it in the Downloads folder
    2. Click "Create Report..."
    3. Click "Create New Mail Message..."

Actual Result

Error Creating Email

Unable to automatically create a Mail message. Please drag and drop the report icon into Mail and send it to support@agilebits.com.

Error: Error Domain=1PTroubleshooting Code=100 "Error emailing Diagnostics Report: {
    NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Mail;
    NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = "-1743";
    NSAppleScriptErrorRange = "NSRange: {58, 312}";
    }" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Error emailing Diagnostics Report: {
    NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Mail;
    NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = "-1743";
    NSAppleScriptErrorRange = "NSRange: {58, 312}";
    }}

Additional Details

When I googled for "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail." some forums suggested adding System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility would resolve the issue. I attempted that and there was no change. I also tried adding 1PasswordTroubleshooting to "Full Disk Access" based on forums though I didn't have any expectations for that to be successful.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Automation sounds promising, but unlike the other panes, there is no option to add +. My reading suggests that needs to be triggered from within the application.

Hope that helps.

1Password Version: 7.2.2 (70202006)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.14.1 (18B75)
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:"Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail"

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

@Lars it's fine you not accepting my professional advice although it is is based of many year being very successful in multiple support organizations, but your responses continue to be bizarre. It's very unlikely that the Troubleshooting Tool's problem is specific to my machine.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lloydde - I'll keep an eye out for your diagnostics report; let me know if you're still unable to send them using the drag/drop method I described in my previous post.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018

@Lars

Of course, the Troubleshooting Tool's "create new mail message" function is not "broken on Mojave"...

Don't be so sure. Out of curiosity (there's nothing wrong with my 1PW) I tried the troubleshooting utility (version 6.0.7, which seems to be the latest) and also got the "Not authorised to send Apple events to Mail" message.

A couple of possible causes occur to me.

1. (unlikely) the Troubleshooting Utility was not in my Applications folder.
    2. (Quite likely) Mojave has a lot of restrictions, and many of my programs needed specific authorisation to work properly. Maybe that's true of the Utility.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danco -- do you use Apple Mail? Is it set up with a functional email account (any kind)? If not, that will be the problem, not Mojave or any of its admittedly tighter permissions. The diagnostics report tool defaults to using Apple Mail because it's the one email client everyone has installed by default on their Mac, and therefore the one most people use. However, if you have never set up Mail.app because you use webmail (such as gmail) exclusively, or you have a different email client, you'll get this message. That's why the drag/drop method is also available/works.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

My email program is Postbox, but I do have Mail set up as well. If it's relevant, my main email address (that I use for 1PW) is currently an inactive account in Mail, but I have another account that is active.

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

@Lars I don't plan on sending diagnostics unless I'm again in an error state.

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

Early this morning, I actually started a new Discussion for the "create new mail message" issue, but your discussion forum software also seems buggy and it disappeared. My guess as to the bug is that if you use every character in the title field like I did, but it then needs to encode a character like in the > in the following title this forum software can't handle it:
    1PasswordTroubleshooting “Create New Mail Message..”->"Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail”

I reached out to support in #IVD-31276-317. I'm hoping they can recover the forum discussion, otherwise I'll consider rewriting it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danco: Thanks for the additional info! I'm not seeing it here either, but we'll keep an eye out for it. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lloydde: The forum software is not ours, but I'll be happy to pass along any feedback you have on it to them. :)

I don't quite know what you mean about "recover the forum discussion" though, as I think I'm reading it now (unless there's something you can tell me is missing).

Anyway, since you didn't use the Support ID Lars asked you to I appreciate you including the new one you were assigned. I was able to find your message and merge it, and we'll take a look at the diagnostics to see if we can figure out why this is happening to you. Thanks! :)

ref: AVA-15628-361

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@brenty with #IVD-31276-317, I'm hoping your team can find and recover the separate forum discussion topic. Its title begins: 1PasswordTroubleshooting “Create New Mail Message..” ? Is the Lounge the best forum "topic" for me to try and reproduce the forum bug of the discussion that won't publish?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This is only a test. Nothing to see here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lloydde: It looks like everything's you have posted is here, in the Mac category (which makes sense because that's what you're using). There was nothing posted by your user account in the Lounge category. I'm sorry if you had some trouble with the forum software, but we do not control it; the only software we make is 1Password. And I'm not able to reproduce any bug with creating a new discussion like what you've described:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/99114/1passwordtroubleshooting-create-new-mail-message-not-authorized-to-send-apple-events-to-mail#latest

I'll delete that shortly so as not to clutter things up. Let me know when you've seen it.

Anyway, it looks like you didn't post it at all. Perhaps you had a connection issue when submitting.

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

PLEASE DELETE - this was only a test
    Reproduced forum issue described in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/479283/#Comment_479283

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Wow @brenty this is bizarre. Me reproducing the issue resulted in my previous discussion topic appearing. My Dec 7 topic has 2 views ;-)
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/99045/1passwordtroubleshooting-create-new-mail-message-not-authorized-to-send-apple-events-to-mail#latest

This is the first time I’m seeing that discussion topic live. I’m glad that my efforts there were not eased.

Sorry, your repro of this forum bug didn't work @brenty. I think the key detail is clicking edit when the title plus the character encoding puts it over the character limit.

The discussion I posted in Lounge to repro can now be deleted :
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/99146/please-delete-this-was-only-a-test#latest

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Me reproducing the issue resulted in my previous discussion topic appearing. My Dec 7 topic has 2 views ;-)

@lloydde: Hmm. Maybe you had it saved as a draft.

Sorry, your repro of this forum bug didn't work @brenty. I think the key detail is clicking edit when the title plus the character encoding puts it over the character limit.

Thanks for clarifying. You didn't mention editing it. It sounds like you can't really though, since the title is too long.

• Regarding the issue mailing diagnostic reports, we have started to hear a couple of scattered reports of that, and so we have filed an issue with development. Hopefully they'll be able to determine the source of this issue and either update the tool to address it or provide us with information that we can include in our documentation and requests for such reports to help folks work around the issue. Thanks for helping bring this issue to our attention.

Ben

ref: apple-2753

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member
  • lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Oh, I think I see, at 6:29PM someone merged into into it https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/479301/#Comment_479301 into this discussion above as identified by https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/479300/#Comment_479300

Why was that different symptom, mailing diagnostic reports, merged into this discussion, restart required? That doesn't see like a best practice. And it is further confusing, because it is threaded early in the conversation.

Do you generally follow the best practice of one issue per discussion?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, I think I see, at 6:29PM someone merged into into it into this discussion above as identified by

@lloydde: Yes, I merged it so we're not having the same conversation in multiple places. It was getting a bit confusing. Sorry for the confusion that caused though.

Why was that different symptom, mailing diagnostic reports, merged into this discussion, restart required? That doesn't see like a best practice. And it is further confusing, because it is threaded early in the conversation.

I agree that it's not ideal, but I think that's unavoidable considering you were posting about the same thing in multiple places at different times. And we don't have the ability to time travel, unfortunately. ;)

Do you generally follow the best practice of one issue per discussion?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you clarify?

This discussion has been closed.