I have an item with two passwords. Would like to know how to configure which password is autofilled

Options
Happymak
Happymak
Community Member

Hi. I have an item with one main login password and one secondary password for security features. The item is a bank account login that has a username, a password, and then another password on a lower section of the item. Once inside my bank account profile, if I need to transfer money I have to input some random digits of my secondary password. The issue is that when login in, the autofill feature of 1password automatically selects the secondary password on the section below, instead of my primary password. Can I configure which of both passwords gets selected to autofill the login!?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:two passwords different sections

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Happymak

That's odd, as 1Password should always be filling the information in the white block at the top. Could you please confirm that is not the case? If so could you please scroll further down on the item and find the 'saved form details' section. Open that up and see which field has a key icon to the right of it. That should be the one 1Password fills.

Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

• Happymak
    Happymak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer ben. The primary password has the key icon to the right. If I automatically autofill the password, the webpage says "wrong password". If I copy and paste it, it logins perfectly

• Hi @Happymak ,

I wonder if it's not filling correctly, rather than filling the other one. When 1Password provides the password to be autofilled, it only provides the one with the key icon, as ben explained.

I have a suggestion to try:
    Split the login into two. In other words, have a login with the same username, same website, but in the original, put regular password in the password field. In the second put the Firma Electronics password in the regular password field. Then go back to the original, and remove the Firma Electronics password field. (make sure you have the second one saved before removing it from the first).

Then, try Autofill again. Let me know if it all works out.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Happymak
    Happymak
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both @ben and @ag_kevin. The last comment is a workaround, but the item should be filling correctly independently of having a second password or not, since the app only provides the password to be autofilled. Is there another option or configuration? Another case, is that some webpages (on the first time you visit them) ask for both your username and your password, and then, on a second visit (if your username gets saved) you only get asked your password. If this happens, the autofill stops working somehow

• ag_kevin
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @Happymak ,

I'm glad to hear the workaround worked. You can try adding the password back to the original item now. It should continue to fill the first password.

Regarding the other web pages, yes they should be filling too. If the 1Password extension appears to be working (i.e. you can click the button in the toolbar and it shows the mini 1Password window) but doesn't fill, it's usually because the web page in question is coded in a way that the 1Password can not recognize the username and password fields. Sometimes pages that look obvious to us have a lot going on "under the hood" that differs from what we see. In that case, I suggest posting the page in question in the filling forum at: https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/saving-and-filling-logins or if you'd rather keep it confidential, contact us at https://support.1password.com/contact-us/ (click the email option)

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.