Truncation issue

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

Using a Pixel 3 XL. When I tap the "Categories" icon at the bottom of the UI, it turns blue (expected). But it also changes from "Categories" to "Cate-" (unexpected).

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: I've noticed a number of issues like that on my Android device, which seem to occur due to size. What scaling factor are you using there?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Display Size = Default
    Font Size = Largest

I decreased the font size one notch down to "Default" and the truncation stopped.

I guess my question for your UI/UX team is:

Is it really better to break the UI just to have that tiny bit of text magnification for the selected item?

For me, as a user, I vote an emphatic NO. The selected item already changes color to blue, isn't that enough?

Just my two cents worth, but perhaps worth running past your designers. They might not have noticed this unless they had the font size turned up a notch.

Regardless, thanks for solving the mystery!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Display Size = Default
    Font Size = Largest
    I decreased the font size one notch down to "Default" and the truncation stopped.

Thanks so much!

I guess my question for your UI/UX team is:
    Is it really better to break the UI just to have that tiny bit of text magnification for the selected item?
    For me, as a user, I vote an emphatic NO. The selected item already changes color to blue, isn't that enough?

I don't disagree with you, which is why I usually don't change Android's display defaults. I find that most apps on my home screen end up with truncated names when I do that as well. So from the perspective of the OS as a whole, I think there's not much to recommend using these features at this time. But you make a really good point with regard to 1Password specifically.

Just my two cents worth, but perhaps worth running past your designers. They might not have noticed this unless they had the font size turned up a notch. Regardless, thanks for solving the mystery!

Likewise, thanks for your feedback on this! It's something we'll look into further. :)

ref: android-376

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

The reason I up the font size one notch is so I can read things 🙂. I find that most app icon labels on my home screen are still truncated, even on the default settings. This includes 1password.

Somehow, truncation of app icon labels is not nearly as obtrusive as truncation issues within an app's UI. Oh well, I'll get used to it 😉

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you. It's surprising to me though that they're truncated even at the default setting though! It really is sort of the wild west there, but hopefully that will improve with time, and we'll see if we can at least tweak 1Password to be a little more flexible. Thank you for bringing it up!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Let me clarify my previous comment. When I go back to the default font setting, the truncation problem within the 1Password UI does go away. I meant that with the font set at default, even the "1Password" label under the home screen icon is truncated. In fact, in default, half my icon labels are truncated on the home screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, got it. Yeah, I'm not sure why that would be different for you and me, but with all the variety in the Android world we may never know. Cheers! :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Probably a difference in phones and resolution. I'm using a Pixel 3 XL.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That was my guess too. My moto x4 is notably smaller...and I'm not sure where I put my older, larger phones. :lol:

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

This problem was fixed today in Android v7.0.9. Thanks so much!

• I'm glad to hear that!

This discussion has been closed.