Had 1Password for families, I closed that account, and opened one for just myself and my wife.

Options
KeithB
KeithB
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

I recently closed my families account and opened just a regular membership. Since my wife and I use all the same logins and passwords we just need a single account. However I downloaded the 1Pass app under my user name on our Mac. (we share the same computer) It works fine but when my wife signs in it is still trying to load her families account even though the account has been closed. My question is how do I get ride of the old 1Pass for families stuff and allow her to just use my program. I think when 1Password downloads it does so in user/application folder instead of hd//application folder? I guess. How can I fix this so we both can use the same account. Again I sign in to my Mac it works fine, but when my wife enters her user ID to sign in to the Mac, 1Pass does not work. When you get our age it takes both of us to remember just one master password to login, let alone two master passwords. Moral of the story don't get old it sucks. Hope this is clear enough.
HaHa Happy Holidays!!

Please help.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: Mohave 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Good morning, @KeithB! My sincerest condolences on the inevitable forward march of time. 😄 This should be a relatively straightforward process:

1. Sign in to your user account on your Mac.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password.
    3. Click on the Account menu and choose Get Emergency Kit….
    4. Print your emergency kit.
    5. Switch over to your wife’s user account.
    6. Open 1Password and click on the Help menu > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data
    7. Follow the prompts to reset 1Password.
    8. Click the 1Password.com option on the setup screen.
    9. If you see your old family account listed, click the Sign In with a Different Account button.
    10. Use the camera to scan the QR code from your emergency kit.
    11. Enter your Master Password.

And that’s it, just 11 simple steps later and you’re all set! Do let me know if you’re all squared away or if I glossed over anything that sent you down the wrong path. Cheers!

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

Everything seems to work with 1password but none of the data is there or the vaults. I sync to iCloud. Should I be syncing to 1password? Sorry to bother you?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@KeithB

If you are given the option to sync with iCloud at all, that means your data is likely not in the proper vault. Is it in a vault vault "Primary" perhaps?

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

It shows when I sign on with my user id to the Mac that I was syncing with iCloud and all data is therein has primary and personal vaults, when I sign in with my wife's id it shows a personal vault but the primary is not there and that's where the data is stored on iCloud . I believe.

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

I hope I am using the right terminology. Maybe when I installed it to start, I remember it asking or saying to store or sync data on iCloud . There is a primary which it said is on iCloud, that is when I use my Mac user id. When I use my wife's Mac user id it shows only shows a personal account no primary account.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@KeithB Yes, you are using the proper terminology.

The issue here is that Primary vault. Let me try and explain here.

Primary Vault: Completely standalone. Syncs via iCloud. Not connected to your 1Password membership in any way. Anything placed in this vault will not sync through your membership. This is the vault that you used prior to switching over to a 1Password membership.

Personal: This is your 1Password membership. vault. It syncs automatically through your membership. Anything placed in this vault will instantly appear up on any devices connected to your 1Password membership.

If your wife's machine only has the Personal vault, nothing that exists on iCloud will show up on it. This is intentional as you shouldn't be using iCloud anymore.

So, which one of them has your data in them?

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

My account or user id under Mac, shows all the data and it shows it is in the primary vault on iCloud. Can I fix mine to not go to iCloud and use the same vaults?

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I think I figured out what to do next. I moved all my data into my personal account. I then signed into my wife's user id and everything data wise was there. I then went back into my Id and deleted the primary vault and everything seems to look okay. If I need to do anything else please let me know.
    You guys rock!
    Thanks for all of your help.!!!
    Have a wonderful Christmas & a great NEW YEAR!!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KeithB - no, if I understand you, that's exactly what you should've done: transfer your data from Primary --> Personal, then delete Primary. If that's what you've done, and both you and your wife now have only the Personal vault of your 1password.com account, you're all set! Thanks so much for the kind words, and Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.