Contacts in 1Password

AlanBob
AlanBob
Community Member

Currently all of my contacts data is spread across several email accounts and a few phones. I'd prefer to maintain these in 1Password, but don't see a category for 'contact'? Is this functionality on the horizon, or did I overlook it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not something that 1Password supports, as it's designed as a password manager. That's our area of expertise, and since there are all manner of contact management solutions out there for a wide variety of use cases and users, it's not something we have any plans for. We're focused on making 1Password the best password manager we can. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@AlanBob

Contact management works best when it is integrated at the OS level and the native apps all share a contact's database. Unfortunately, not many OS's do this, so you're stuck managing your own. And this ultimately results in contacts being out of sync across your sites/apps.

A few years ago, I created a vCard converter at the request of a user. In case you don't know, a vCard is the de-facto standard for contact data representation. Many email apps/sites can export your contacts as vCards, so you could convert / import then (and for those sites/apps that do not export as vCards, CSV might be an option).

See my posts starting here. Ask if you need help.

• AlanBob
    AlanBob
    Community Member

Brently, thanks for the prompt reply. I can understand the focus and desire to be the best password manager, but frankly ... I believe you guys already have that nailed down. What prompted my question was the existence of all the other non-password related categories e.g. passport, drivers license, etc., the only category missing was contacts. Do you happen to have a contact manager that you'd be willing to recommend?

MRC, " this ultimately results in contacts being out of sync across your sites/apps" I resemble this remark! Yes, familiar with vCard and CSV formats, although vCard seems to be better and more widely accepted. This, to me sounds like a market niche that needs filling ..... just say'in Brently

Thanks guys, input appreciated.

• Thanks for the feedback @AlanBob. It seems right now our goal is to focus on our core offering, vs expanding into other areas, so I don't suspect we'll be adding contact management to 1Password in the near future. As far as a recommendation... I personally use the built-in Contacts app on Apple devices and that suits my needs.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• sundial
    sundial
    Community Member

I just want to say its an odd answer to give, when you already have SECURE NOTES, IDENTITIES, PASSPORTS and CC. iPassword is a secure information depository, no matter what you call it. Customers want this apparently, and now that iPassword is a subscription, we expect new features on a regular basis, how else is a subscription justified if not for delivering new features on a regular basis? What new features have been rolled out in the past year and what is in the pipeline?

• @sundial

Our release notes are public, so you can see what progress we've made and when:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

Our future plans are not public. That's something we still hold fairly close to the chest. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.