Firefox plugin installs, but doesn't function (Mac Firefox 55.0.3 64-bit)

JDLH
JDLH
Community Member

I have been using 1Password 6 and the Firefox extension for a while. Recently, I think after an update to either Firefox or 1Password, this stopped working.

I can get access to 1Password 6 either from the app or from the menu-bar mini-application.
When I have a Firefox tab selected, and click on the menu-bar mini-application, the pop-up menu always suggests, "Add Firefox extension…". This message didn't used to appear.
I have used the 1Password "Add Firefox extension…" menu item. I appear to have a Firefox extension installed.
In Firefox's Add-ons Manager, I have an entry "1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.10.90".
In Firefox's toolbar, there is a 1Password button. This button appears black-and-white, no colours, but also not greyed out.
When I click on the 1Password button in Firefox's toolbar, there is no reaction.
When I click on the 1Password menu-bar mini-application with a Firefox tab selected, and a page for which I have a 1Password entry loaded, the 1Password entry corresponding to that tab's URL is not selected. It used to be.

It looks to me like the 1Password Firefox extension is installed but failing somehow, so that it can't communication with the menu-bar mini-application.

I don't see a similar posting in the forums. There is a thread about some people not being able to download the Firefox plugin due to security software, but I think that is not my problem. I did download, and install, the Firefox plugin. Firefox thinks it's installed.

Any ideas, insightful and friendly Agile Bits crew?
--Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

1Password Version: 6.8.1 (681006)
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@JDLH: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! I'm not sure what might be causing that if you're all up to date. The best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: KQR-13227-245

• anatol16
    anatol16
    Community Member

I am in the exact same situation: I have the same settings as JDLH and the Firefox extension stopped to work few Firefox versions ago. I would appreciate also some help. Thanks in advance.

Anatol

• JDLH
    JDLH
    Community Member

I ran the report using the 1Password Troubleshooting Utility. I've emailed it to Support as requested. I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you for your help.

• sarkazim
    sarkazim
    Community Member

Looking forward to suggestions on this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@anatol16 -- I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81697/firefox-plugin-installs-but-doesnt-function-mac-firefox-55-0-3-64-bit#latest
    • Your forum username: anatol16

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the subject line.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JDLH - can you do us a favor an please post the support ticket ID number here in the forum, as described in my above reply to anatol16? Thanks.

• JDLH
    JDLH
    Community Member

@Lars , the only support ticket ID I have is the one @brenty gave me earlier in this thread: [#KQR-13227-245] . I sent my diagnostics and this ticket ID to Agile Support support@agilebits.com, which is not the same address as support+forum@agilebits.com . However, I did get a reply, so I think the support team is connecting dots.

• drileyct1
    drileyct1
    Community Member

Hi guys. I am having the same problem. I am using version 6.8.1 in Firefox mac version 55.0.3 and the 1Password button is grayed out. Please help. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JDLH - Ah, my mistake -- I didn't see that brenty had already assigned you a support ticket ID. I'm glad you're getting help via email. Sorry for the confusion. :)

• JDLH
    JDLH
    Community Member

I am still having this problem on Firefox. However, I have confirmed that 1Password+Chrome browser works as expected. So, my workaround is to use Chrome for tasks like downloading credit card statements and paying bills, where I have to sling lots of passwords.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JDLH -- Thanks for the update, and for sending in your diagnostics report; I see one of my colleagues is assisting you via email; as this problem looks to be a bit in-the-weeds, it's probably better to continue the conversation there, if that's OK. I'm glad you found a workaround with Chrome; now let's see if we can get you a more-robust solution!

• gldtn
    gldtn
    Community Member

I having the same problem with Firefox 50.0.3 on MacOS. I can confirm it only started happening after Firefox update. On some sites the bar icon keeps on blinking, but you cannot use it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gldtn -- I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem as well. Can you try the following for us, please?
    1. Trash the Firefox app.
    2. Download and install a fresh copy of Firefox from Mozilla.
    3. Restart your Mac.

Let us know how/if that works for you. Good luck!

• william5446
    william5446
    Community Member

I keep having to reinstall the Firefox plugin. It will work for a few days, and then it will be grayed out one day. I will reinstall it again and it will work for a few days and then stop again. I've had to do this several times - why? Mac OS 10.14.1 , Firefox 63.0.3.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@william5446: I honestly have no idea why that would be happening on your machine repeatedly. "Normally" what we see is some other software removing the extension...but that's clearly not the case if you're still seeing it installed. If I had to guess, I'd say it may be a permissions or file issue within Firefox itself. I've been seeing more of that sort of thing happening with OS updates recently. Not sure why. Coincidentally(?), it looks like you had a similar issue years ago...

Anyway, if it happens again, generate a diagnostic report immediately:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#PDV-25559-455]

If you’re reading this and you are not william5446, this Support ID is for william5446 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. It almost certainly won't be something we can have 1Password fix programmatically, but if we can identify the cause that could help you figure out what to do. Thanks in advance!

ref: PDV-25559-455

• jwilker
    jwilker
    Community Member

One more in the "not working camp." It was working just fine until earlier today.

Firefox: 63.0.3
    MacOS 10.14.1

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jwilker - did anything change on your Mac since the last time it was working? Updates to macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), or 1Password? Or possibly to Firefox? What steps have you taken to troubleshoot or try to solve the issue?

• jwilker
    jwilker
    Community Member

No changes. Don't think Firefox or 1P updated, I tend to keep everything up to date, so no updates were pending yesterday. I've tried the ctrl-quit, reboot thing i found in an old forum, no joy. That did solve the issue when I first made the switch to Firefox a month back.

Right now when I press cmd \ 1p pops up but doesn't fill, and asks to install the firefox extension, which I've removed and re-installed, no joy there either

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jwilker - are both Firefox and 1Password 7 for Mac installed in your main /Applications folder, and not anywhere else on your hard drive? And are you able to use 1Password normally in any other browser (Chrome, Safari) in the way that's not working in Firefox?

• jwilker
    jwilker
    Community Member

Welp. rebooted, tested in safari, worked. Come over to FF, it's now 64.0 and seems to be working, LOL.

I rebooted because at first it wasn't responding in safari, and tapping the helper in the menu bar did nothing. Though that was new, since I'd rebooted twice yesterday and used 1p normally in lieu of the plugin.

That said, working... Yay, but no idea why LOL

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jwilker - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great rest of your week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• jwilker
    jwilker
    Community Member

LOL yeah I'll take the win, but would prefer to know what's up.

Thanks for the help and always happy with 1P!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jwilker - you're quite welcome. And it's not that we wouldn't like to know what's up, as well. It's more that frequently, what's up is that your system has for one reason or another gotten itself into an odd state, which something like quitting applications or a restart will solve by virtue of nothing more than giving everything a fresh state again. When that's the case, going hunting for what might've caused that odd state is a) likely to be fruitless and b) probably wouldn't give you much usable intel for preventing similar instances in the future; even if you can pin it down to a single certain cause, it's likely as not to be a one-off that would be of no value to anyone in the future, including you. In short, there's a reason why "have you tried turning it off and back on again" has become a tech support cliché -- because of how astonishingly often it works. :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jwilker: I had a similar experience yesterday when a lot of stuff seemed broken in Firefox. I rebooted today to see if that helped, and I can't really say if that did because when I started up Firefox again and it looked different. Turns out the update to version 64 had been pending. I'm sure that's what caused the weirdness for me, and perhaps you as well.

So all of that is to say "it isn't just you". :lol:

This discussion has been closed.