Extension appears behind browser

Options

Ever since I upgraded to the latest version of 1Password on my Win 10 laptop, often the extension appears behind the browser. I have to cycle through open windows to find it. Very annoying.

I'm using latest version of Chrome.

Doesn't always happen either.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Family (cloud)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for getting in touch. That's very odd. You say "often" and not "always", so I'm wondering if there's some context -- perhaps specific actions or sequence involved -- that might help us reproduce the problem here. If it happens and you immediately close 1Password mini and open it again, does that make a difference? Are you using the mouse to click the toolbar button, or using the keyboard shortcuts to open it?

• gerrykirk
    gerrykirk
    Community Member
    Options

I'm always clicking on it, not using keyboard shortcuts, didn't know there was one, I'd rather use the keyboard. :)

What does close and re-open 1Password mini mean?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerrykirk,

Please try to use Ctrl + \ in order to open 1Password extension in the browser and fill your credentials on the webpage. Does the issue remain if you use this shortcut? If it does, please try to click outside 1Password extension to close it, and then click 1Password icon in the browser again. How does it behave after that?

Thanks in advance! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• lmanning
    lmanning
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All,

I've actually had the same problem since updating to v7.
    I also see it occur often but not always. I've had it occur when 1Password was locked so the add on pop up was prompting for my password but also unlocked so it was showing available logons for the current webpage.
    I just had the issue occur on another site and am able to reproduce the issue on this forum page as well, it is currently occurring every time across all tabs and browser windows.
    Clicking the add on button with my mouse replicates the issue where it opens behind the browser window, behind all other application windows too, using the 'Ctrl + \' opens the add-on window where ever my mouse is currently on the page, not at the top right as I am used to when clicking the add-on.

Thanks,
    Luke

1Password: 7.1.567
    Add-On: 4.7.2.90
    Windows: 10.0.17134.112
    Browser: Chrome 67.0.3396.87

• lmanning
    lmanning
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

To add some more information, I tested closing chrome and confirmed the issue was still replicable.
    I then updated Chrome to the most recent version - 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit), still replicable.
    I then closed each of my other applications one by one, closed and reopened Chrome and each time the issue was still replicable.
    Once all applications except 1Password were closed I tried changing back to view 'all vaults' rather than a specific vault, still replicable.
    Only upon closing the main 1Password window did the add-on pop up begin appearing back on top of the chrome window.
    I didn't have to clear the application from my notification area, so wasn't required to log back in.
    I'm now for the moment unable to replicate the issue further.

Thanks,
    Luke

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @lmanning,

Thank you for sharing the additional info!

Could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and check if this issue remains there? Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• gerrykirk
    gerrykirk
    Community Member
    Options

FYI I switched to the 1PasswordX extension and haven't had the issue since.

• MikeT
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @gerrykirk,

1Password X won't have this problem because it's being managed by Chrome and runs within Chrome, there's no separate window involved and 1Password desktop program wouldn't be involved either. However, it is an option if you want to go there.

We're investigating and hope to have a resolution for this in the next update.

• gerrykirk
    gerrykirk
    Community Member
    Options

I like PasswordX other than it doesn't have the Windows fingerprint option. I'll stick with it at least until there is a fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. We'll keep working on the Windows app and 1Password X as well. Glad that helps in the mean time. :)

• lmanning
    lmanning
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All,
    Completely forgot about this thread, the issue wasn't occurring frequently enough for me to be able to quickly test in safe mode and didn't have an opportunity to work in safe mode for a day to test it properly.
    Seems to have been resolved in an update sometime later in the year as I haven't seen it reoccur recently,
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update! Indeed, we've made a number of changes over time to try to work around Windows focus issues, so that may have helped. Hopefully you won't encounter further issues, but if you do 7.3 is around the corner with a lot more good stuff. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.