My subscription is active but synching is not happening from one Mac to another

nauticalmac
nauticalmac
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

Recently updated from 1Password6/Dropbox Sync to 1Password 7 with a subscription. MacBook, Mac mini, 2 iPhones and an old iPad. Change password on the MacBook, all 'i' devices update but not my Mac mini. I'm logged in to my 1Password account on the Mac mini, subscription shows 'active'. Synching is supposed to work without dropbox or iCloud when I have an active subscription?
Advice please on how to resolve. The two Macs look the same in 1Password, same number of records, one personal account but no update.
Update: When using Safari on the Mac mini to look at passwords, I see it is up to date but not the 1Password app on the same computer.
C

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1Password?

Comments

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Power failure last night caused a re-boot, Mac mini is now syncing. Hopefully it will stay that way.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nauticalmac - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news -- power failure FTW!

Seriously, I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I was able to help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

So actually the problem is still there or has returned. I moved three login items to Trash on my laptop and they are still active on the other computer (Mac mini). My iPhone and iPad updated correctly (can't check the second iPhone right now). The web-based account updated OK. So it looks as if my Mac mini is not synchronizing with the rest.
    I am trying a reboot, will add a post with the results. This will be cause more and more problems as both computers are in use and the info will start to diverge.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

On reboot, the app updated correctly. Please advise how to solve this. I waited 15 minutes to make sure it was not just a delay. Then I restored one item from trash on my Mac mini and it shows immediately as restored on the iPhone and the laptop.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

And now synch is working in both directions, very frustrating.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nauticalmac - it sounds very much as if something in your local network setup (either on the Mac in question or the network itself) is interfering with the notifier receiving signals; keep an eye on it and let us know if the problem continues/recurs, and under what circumstances.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Very difficult to track, I'll try. Never had this issue with Dropbox sync. So I should check every time I update a record on either device whether the other gets the update?

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

If a system sleeps, does it miss the signals?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nauticalmac - yes, a sleeping Mac will not receive notifier signals. If you have 1Password for Mac set to lock on sleep, however, the act of unlocking it will force a sync. It would be only if you did not have "Lock on sleep" enabled and you also hadn't exceeded the timeout. In other words: only if 1Password for Mac was still open and unlocked when waking from sleep.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Indeed, 1P was not locked on sleep but the Mac was set to sleep. I’m giving up on sleep for the Mac, it has a SSD and provides Time Machine backup for other systems so sleep will not do much. I’ll report back if the problem happens again. Is there a manual sync menu item? When I had the problem, even quitting 1P did not cause it to update which is strange. Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nauticalmac - there is no manual "sync now" button, precisely because it doesn't really need one. Of all of our sync methods, iCloud is probably the most prone to occasional lags in sync, because although the local sync between the internal 1Password sqlite database and the CloudKit counterpart happens nearly instantaneously, actual sync to Apple's servers is controlled by the OS and doesn't always take place immediately. But it's still usually pretty quick. And with a 1Password.com setup, it should be very quick, as it is in my own setup here. Unless the internet at large is experiencing issues (does happen, but mass slowdowns/outages are rare), instances of this NOT happening tend to be traceable to local setups. That's not to say we don't want to investigate, however, so if the problem persists, let me know.

Also, as a sort of PS, are you sure you FULLY quit 1Password? Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). But an easier way to do it is by Locking (not quitting): 1Password > Lock. Hope that helps! :)

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Problem not solved, I'm afraid. I'm doing a big cleanup, removing old passwords and duplicates. I did this last night on the laptop. This morning, the mini was out of sync. For example 'All Items' was 664 on the Laptop, 728 on the mini. I have a screenshot showing both 1P windows side by side (using screen share) which I can send if you want. I then did a lock/unlock on the mini. After unlock, it updated within a second or two. Our three iOS devices did not have the problem. I'm going to reverse the process later today, continue the cleanup but this time on the mini, see if the laptop stays in sync.
    I didn't know about the fully quit command, it doesn't appear in the 1Password menu (even with the option key). I was using the normal command quit or the menu. I see it appears in the menu bar 1P if you select settings (gear). But lock/unlock seems to work as you said.
    There's nothing unusual about the network, the laptop and mini plug into a 1G ethernet hub which connects to a Verizon FIOS router. Also, both are on the same WiFi network. I've had no other issues for many years. I use dropbox quite a bit, no problems there. I put some new files there last night and the two systems (and iOS systems) stayed in sync.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nauticalmac - Hmmm....OK. If you notice it still happening, then I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices. If you can, try to get the report from the Mac that's NOT syncing while it's in an unsynced state.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WBJ-42621-895]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

ref: WBJ-42621-895

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

I've tried several times to recreate this problem without success. (Maybe the threat of a report did it). From everything you have explained, along with the symptoms I experienced, my theory is that it was caused by having 1P set not to lock on sleep and the Mac set to sleep. If I understand correctly, this state will cause 1P to miss any changes until it updates (e.g. by lock/unlock). The Mac coming off sleep does not cause 1P to update.
    If I have understood correctly then shouldn't this be logged as a bug or feature weakness and users told not to set their Macs up in this way. In other words, if the Mac can sleep, 1P should be set to lock on sleep.
    Thanks for all your help. Correct me if I have misunderstood. I will continue to keep an eye on the situation and provide reports if it happens again.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Hi (again). After being unused the majority of the day, I returned to the mbp system, moved a record to Trash leaving 653 items, then checked the mini2. It had not picked up the removal, still showing 654 items. I have collected and sent the 5 reports. The mini2 (like the mbp, is set: "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" on the Energy Saver SP panel. All iOS systems picked up the change, the (old) iPad over a few seconds.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Update Sunday am. Since that time, it seems 1P on the mini has continued to miss any changes made on the laptop. I will generate two reports now, one for the laptop (mbp) and one for the Mac mini (mini2). The iOS devices seem to keep up. After generating the reports, I will do a lock/unlock to make sure it resyncs.

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    Just making sure the reports I prepared were received. I'm considering uninstalling the 1Password app on my Mac mini and re-installing it. What do you think?
    I found instructions here, are they up to date?
    https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

• @nauticalmac

We've receved a number of iOS diagnostic reports from you, but I'm not seeing any from any Macs. Could you please try sending those again being sure to include the support ID in the subject line?

I don't believe that uninstalling and reinstalling is going to be of any help here.

Ben

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I've resent 4 zip files collected from two systems on 12/07 and 12/09 to support@agilebits.com. The original emails were in my Mac Mail 'Sent' folder so I don't know why you didn't receive them. Subject line was/is "1Password Diagnostics Report for C McNaught [#WBJ-42621-895]". The three iOS reports you should have received correspond to the 12/07 time. I can resend those too if necessary.
    Thanks for your help.
    Colin

• We've received them now, thank you. :) One of us will be in touch as soon as we can to help you get this sorted out.

Ben

• nauticalmac
    nauticalmac
    Community Member

Thanks!

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.