I don't see 1password in my cloud. How can I have a backup for my passwords?

roabwy
roabwy
Community Member

I have tried to connect 1password to my icloud account to have a backup for my passwords. Cannot find it in icloud. Is there a way to make a copy of the passwords in case I lose my phone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:icloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roabwy: Good question! iCloud, or any sync service, is not a backup; it will sync data deletion and corruption as well. So it's important to have an actual backup of your data. You can use 1Password's backup/restore feature for any local vaults:

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it includes automatic offsite backup, and gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. That way, even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can still get your data back by signing into your account on a new device.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Go to iPhone setting, then click on name at top, iCloud. Now see if your syncing 1Password to iCloud. Then click on manage storage (iCloud) and see if it shows 1Password. If it does then that is 1Password data in a seperate side of your iCloud that is not viewable, but is how 1Password syncs in real time it’s data using iCloud so you can sync 1Password on all your devices. If you delete anything or make changes in 1Password it syncs to that. So it is sorta like a backup, but not really 100% safe if you accidentally delete something in 1Password because it would sync.
    However be careful not to delete or eraze that iCloud storage unless you turn off 1Password sync to iCloud first in the app settings. Then you could let it re save by turning sync back on in app.
    My stradagy for 1Password backup is to keep my older iPhone when ever I upgrade to a new one. You have 1Password on both iPhones, but the older iPhone is like a locale backup for 1Password or anything. It only works if you can remember to keep wi-fi off eccept for when you need to sync after a lot of changes. So if my main iPhone 1Password got accidentally deleted I then would delete the iCloud 1Password data by 1Password, settings, advance eraze. (Because when you turn on wi-fi to your older iPhone it is going to sync anything includeing what you may have deleted by mistake) Then I would turn wi-fi back on the local backup iPhone and let 1Password rebuild or save back to iCloud.
    I have never had to do it, but that is how I do a local backup.

• Thanks for sharing, @kunder. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.