Forgot my master password. Any advice or guidance on accessing the data in my vaults?

jerry888
jerry888
Community Member

I changed my master password and when I tried to sign back in, it looks like I mistyped it and do not remember it.

https://support.1password.com/backups/?mac

Specifies:

"Everything in your 1Password account is automatically backed up every day:

all your vaults on 1Password.com
all your items on 1Password.com"

Is there anyway to access this without knowing the master password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jerry888: It is not possible to decrypt the data without the Master Password. When you changed it, you would have had to enter it twice. If you really did that successfully, I think there's a pretty good chance you could do it again. There is no harm in trying. And while AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly, the tips in this guide may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.

The only other possiblility is, if you're using a local vault, you could restore from a recent backup from before you changed the Master Password. Then the old one would work. Let me know how it goes!

• jerry888
    jerry888
    Community Member

Thanks for the note. How do you know if you were using a local vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jerry888: Good question. If you're not subscribed to a 1Password.com membership, you're using a local vault. You didn't fill out any of the version/setup info in your original post so I'm not sure what you're using.

• jerry888
    jerry888
    Community Member

after some persistence, I was able to solve this problem. I will make sure not to let this happen again. feel free to close this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

That's great! Thanks for the update. Enjoy your weekend! :chuffed: :+1:

• bravooo
    bravooo
    Community Member

I forgot my masterpassword. Now i just want to start all over again with the same email so my subscription wont be a waste. Can you help me out how to delete my account and start again with only 1 bill?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've just replied to you here. Please don't send post the same thing in multiple places. That just makes it take longer for everyone to get help -- including you.

• eudoff
    eudoff
    Community Member

I can open 1password on my MacBook Pro Mohave and iMac but not online. No 1Pass password works on my iPhone. Yes, I believe I did make a change in November but apparently it wasn't as universal as I thought? Have my secret key but no master password. Everything is in the vault called Personal. I changed my email and I think that has be inconsistent too. What can I do to untangle this mess? I don't think I have a membership or do I??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eudoff: I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, but a few things to note:

• The 1Password app will unlock using the Master Password for the first vault/account you have setup there.
    • You'll need to sign into 1Password.com using the Master Password you chose when signing up for the account.
    • You would not have been able to sign up for an account, and therefore would also not have a Secret Key, unless you had chosen a Master Password for the account.
    • You will only have an account if you've signed up for a membership, though there is a 30 day trial before it costs anything.

Is all of your data in the Personal vault? Do you have a Primary vault on any of those devices?

• eudoff
    eudoff
    Community Member

Thank you for your speedy response. I didn't check back here until today. I haven't had time to further explore what's going on but i do have an account and secret key. Seems like I somehow had "local" passwords aside from the online Master Password. I finally "recovered" the Master password by trial an error. Thanks for the unlimited tries! What is the diff between Primary and Personal Vault? I want the easiest arrangement. Is 1Password fighting with Safari and icloud passwords. I didn't stop saving those when i started using 1Password. Maybe I should watch your videos finally.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eudoff: No worries. We're here anytime. :)

The Primary vault is only stored locally on your device, not associated with the 1Password.com account. The Personal vault is part of the 1Password.com account.

The easiest arrangement is to have all of your data in your 1Password.com account, and then setup the app on each of your devices with only your account. That way they all have exactly the same data and Master Password.

If you sign in to 1Password.com in your web browser, do you have all of your data there?

This discussion has been closed.