Items erased from trash still show up in iOS AutoFill

notcygnus
notcygnus
Community Member

I have latest versions of 1Password Family on iPhone 10s with iOS 12.0.1 and MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.14 (Mojave). When using AutoFill for a particular site, 1Password always presented two sets of credentials: one that worked and one that did not. I finally realized the one that did not work was an old, similar entry in my Trash. (Since you, helpfully, have not thought it important to support managing Trash on iOS 12, it took me a long time to figure this out. You really need to fix this problem in general.)

For some, badly thought out, reason, iOS was presenting items in the Trash for AutoFill.

So tonight I emptied the Trash and that similar entry is now gone from 1Password on MacOS and on my account site on 1password.com. However, the similar credential set is still fed to browsers and apps on iOS. Applies to both Chrome and Safari. Force killing 1Password: no effect. Rebooting phone: no effect. Flushing all browser history and clearing everything: no effect. Same issue on other iOS devices as well, so do not pin this one on the 10s.

How can I get 1Password on iOS to resync, correctly, to the vaults I use, and not retain the no-longer existing, Trash?

I am a fan and advocate for 1Password, especially on iOS and MacOS. (Windows version still has weak UI, in my opinion.) But you either have a nasty bug, or a really idiotic feature. Based on the fact that AutoFill presented the bad credential set both when the item was in the Trash and after it was removed, I would say, both.

1Password Version: iOS 7.2, MacOS 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.0.1, MacOS 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password for Families (Agilebits servers)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notcygnus: Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry for the trouble. Indeed, it's a fairy new feature and there are still some kinks to be worked out. Not quite so "nasty" as you make it out to be, and I'm not sure I get the "do not pin this one on the 10s" reference, but we're working on ways to improve the conference between 1Password's own data and iOS 12 Password Autofill. We have some improvements in this area in 7.2.2, so once you get that give it a try and let us know how it goes. ;)

ref: apple-2209

• notcygnus
    notcygnus
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. As I implied, 1Password is an essential tool as I have hundreds of credentials for both work and personally. I use it literally dozens of times a day.

I hope my colorful writing style did not offend anyone on your team.

I can positively confirm this issue was there on my iPhone SE before I upgraded yesterday.

• Thanks for the feedback @notcygnus.

Ben

• mellow
    mellow
    Community Member

I’m experiencing something similar with version 7.2.1 (iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12.0). I had created a new Login entry in 1Pw but had mistyped the username. I corrected it and now both the correct and the mistyped versions are presented by 1Pw as options when I go to that website. (I have iOS Keychain turned off so these are definitely coming from 1Pw.). I tried closing 1Pw, closing Safari & rebooting the phone — no difference. I even tried deleting the Login & recreating it and the mistyped username is still showing up in the auto fill options.

• @mellow

Please try turning 1Password off in the Settings app under Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords, give it a few seconds, and then re-enable it. That should cause 1Password to re-sync with the iOS Password AutoFill feature.

Ben

• mellow
    mellow
    Community Member

Ben,
    Thank you! That did the trick.

• Excellent. Glad to hear that helped. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Leauwie
    Leauwie
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I am still facing this issue, even after trying the above. Any other tricks I could try? Happens on both my iPad and iPhone running iOS12.1

It is a great feature but super annoying picking a deleted item to fill out in the form..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the inconvenience. I believe that we have a workaround for this in the next version, and if the beta goes well we should be able to release it as an update to everyone soonish.

• Leauwie
    Leauwie
    Community Member

Finally got it fixed. I deleted the app, reinstalled and re-added my accounts. An it solved the issue! I noticed that the ‘Sync’ menu item in Settings disappeared, maybe that had to do with it? Both on iPad and IPhone SE with iOS12.

Hope this helps people facing the same issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, then you had a Primary local vault setup in the app before. Data there would certainly show up in iOS 12 Password Autofill. Since you've got got it setup with only a 1Password.com account, there are no sync settings. Glad you were able to sort it out!

• prudhommea
    prudhommea
    Community Member

Just checking to see if the fix tested well in Beta as I recently experienced this issue on 1Password 7.4. Although it was solved by disabling & re-enabling autofill, I’d ideally prefer not to have to do that in the future.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't disagree. Perhaps in the future there will be a reliable way to automatically clear out any stale entries from Autofill, without needing to disable it and enable it again.

This discussion has been closed.