1Password 6 website password change

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Generated passwords don't show in history and no prompt to save new logins.

Comments

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same type of problem. I went to change my password on my google account ( this has happened with many other accounts) I only have one 1password account and when I generated the password it does not offer to save the password as a new password, I had to write it down and go back and fill it in in the password area and save it. I am using safari 12.0.1 When I went to reset my password Safari offered to create a new password so I clicked "don't use", opened 1 password and generated the password , and It was saved in the history but that doesn't really help if I can't save the password as I do it. I have a screenshot of the porocess I can upload.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It sounds like you're not using 1Password X, which is the topic of this discussion. It does not have an autosave feature. Google can be a little bit tricky because they like to split things up between multiple pages/steps, but I'm glad you were able to use 1Password's safety net to get the generated password you used. We'll see if we can make 1Password more resilient though. Thanks for the feedback!

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

So there is no fix for this? It is not just on google as far as I know,it happens in other sites, like my banking site. What is 1passwordx? I thought by x u meant any version. I am using 1password 6? Is there a forum for this series?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waveracer: Thanks for clarifying. I've split you off into a separate discussion in the Mac category of the forum, since you're using that. 1Password X is a browser-based 1Password app for Chrome (-based browsers) and Firefox which is designed for folks that are not using the 1Password desktop apps. It sounds like you're using 1Password or Mac version 6. That old version is no longer in active development, as 1Password 7 was released in the spring. So any filling improvements will be made in the current version going forward. We have a guide for password changes that might help though:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

In many cases you can also tell 1Password to save a new login so it gets information about the page to fill better:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

And either way, if you've had 1Password fill a generated password but not saved it in a Login item, you can find it in your vault:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

Websites change over time though, so using the latest version of 1Password also allows you to take advantage of adjustments we make, and general improvements in our filling engine. 1Password 6 will also not work with Safari at all soon as Apple discontinues support for the old extensions though, so you'd either need to use a different browser or update since 1Password 7 has support for the new Safari App Extensions. You can get that and all other apps and updates as part of a 1Password.com membership.

If you're still having trouble with a particular site, be sure to let us know the details, including the URL, so we can test it and make any adjustments in future versions of 1Password as needed. :)

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank You very much for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! If you have questions about anything else, just let us know. :chuffed:

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

One more question . Since this discussion I have realized there may be a 1 password 7? A stand-alone version? I was reading 1Password 6 users will be prompted to upgrade to 7 , but I haven’t gotten anything. I would be willing to upgrade. Is this version available yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waveracer: Indeed, 1Password 7 has been out for a while. But the only way you'd be offered an update to that is if you had a 1Password.com membership (which that includes all apps and upgrades), since otherwise it is a separate purchase. You can find more details here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

And let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

Oh ok it said that when it was
    Released there
    Was a special price for 1 password6 users to upgrade , I’d like to get that price , it did not
    Mention the membership https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93897/upgrade-to-version-7-single-license-from-version-6
    I saw this in a few places , but I suppose it’s too late?

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

My other issue is I can never figure out how to sign in to your website, it always asks me for a secret key and password and I don't think I have ever set any of that up and I put in my email to recover and it says it can't find me. I had the same problem last time I tried to upgrade, it is a little frustrating that this is happening again. So.... It says I may have only purchased a license , which is what I did , so how do I get the new license and convert to 7 . I don't want to download it and find out I cant intergrate it or something like that. I wish this was easier than last time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waveracer: As I write this, the 1Password 7 launch special mentioned in the announcement I linked for you is still available. You can purchase the license from within the app if you install it and set it up with a local (standalone) vault. You will not be able to "sign into the website" with that though.

Otherwise you can get 1Password 7 along with all other apps and updates as part of a 1Password.com membership, as I mentioned above. That also includes the 1Password.com web interface, where you can sign in to access your data in the browser if you wish. This is also the only way you'd have a Secret Key or Sign In Address.

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

Fabulous , Thank You , I will get it. So just to be clear, how do I sign in? or do I not sign in anywhere and when I want to upgrade or need help what do I do? I have only ever gotten help from this forum and this is the first time,so thank you very much ( I have tried through the help site but didn't get a reply for about 6 months, no kidding) last time I tried for help. Anyway I am excited to get the new app and get going but if you can let me about registering or if there is anything I should do that would be great. Cheers!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waveracer - if you're interested in a 1password.com membership, you can sign up at the main 1Password sign-up page. Instructions for creating a new account are right here. If you were looking for a standalone license, then, as brenty mentioned, you'd want to download 1Password 7 for Mac from our downloads page, run the installer, and make your purchase on first-run.

We have indeed been experiencing a high volume of support requests recently, but you can reach us here, or via email at support@1password.com.

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars I am interested in the standalone , but I never know wht to do about that . I assumew there is no sign up or account to reference my purchase? I have never been able to figure this out,it always asks for that secret code or something that you don't get

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

So, I got the download and am in the process of install;ing it , but it wants to chrge me 65.00 not the introductory price mentioned, how would I get that?

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

Scratch that, I went out and went back in and it is giving me the lower price. Thanks guys!!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. :+1: If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• waveracer
    waveracer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys,ok so I got 1password 7 andset it up . Now, I went to change a password on a web site ( this one was marriott) and there are 2 things. a lot of these sites requite 1 upper and 1 lower case and 1 character or symbol and I don't see an option for this , you have word and characters, is there a way to set this? Also when I go to sign in to a website it is only putting th the login name and not the password , I have to go back and fill the password separately on this site but on others it fills both, is there a setting for this for all sites or is it just something to do with the site itself. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@waveracer: It's definitely going to be site-specific. Some are fairly similar and 1Password can deal with them like it does others, but sometimes it's just laid out completely differently. One I saw not long ago was a password change form where the new password was at the top, with the old password (and second field to verify it) were at the bottom. 1Password did not handle this well, but we're always working to make it smarter. If you encounter a problem, definitely let us know the specifics and the URL so we can try to test it.

Regarding generating, you'll be best served in most cases by using the default, but you can also open the Password Generator itself from the 1Password menu in order to customize it: length, characters/words, symbols, digits, etc. Go with "characters" unless you absolutely need a word-based password so you can remember/type it; characters gives you a harder-to-guess password in a much shorter length.

This discussion has been closed.